Skip to main content
Topic: Jean-Michel Jarre purists... Anyone ? (Read 4047 times) previous topic - next topic

Jean-Michel Jarre purists... Anyone ?

I have been a Jarre fan for many years now, and I wanted to know if there are any other people out here who have any suggestions for what album versions they like the best, IE is the best recording. I guess they aren't necessarily related, however I am sure you understand what I mean.

There has been a lot of re-releases of his albums, and if anyone has any suggestions Id be happy to take them. I guess this question comes with regards to the loudness issues that seems to plague a lot of new versions of albums coming out.

This question would particularly apply to the following albums:

Oxygene (1976/77)
Equinoxe (1978)
Magnetic Fields (1981)
The Concerts in China (1982)
Rendez-Vous (1986)

Any other input would be greatly valued.

Reply #1
I  bought the CD of Equinoxe back in 1986 when I bought my first standalone CD player and I still consider it to be a reference recording for testing out new hardware. In my opinion, it was decades ahead of its time for sheer technical quality.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #2
I'd recommend both Oxygene and Equinoxe, in their Mobile Fidelity versions (aka MOFI, aka MFSL).
Probably hard to find now, but both are excellent.

Reply #3
I think the original LPs of Oxygene and Equinoxe are surprisingly good.

I say surprisingly, because some sounds are difficult to cut into vinyl, yet these recordings work well.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
I'd recommend both Oxygene and Equinoxe, in their Mobile Fidelity versions (aka MOFI, aka MFSL).
Probably hard to find now, but both are excellent.
Another recommendation for MFSL remasters. I own both albums an they sound great!
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #5
Thanks for the tips. Will see if I can get a hold of the Mobile Fidelity versions here in Norway somewhere. I got my eyes opened to Jarre from a cassette copy in 1988 so the audio quality wasnt what initially sparked my interest, but as age progresses (and, sadly, hearing decreases) I would like to get the most out of the albums while I can.

Glad to see fellow Jarre fans here, although Jarres albums after 1993 (Chronology) have so far been quite a disappointment IMHO.

Reply #6
I don't recommend the MFSL remasters, they lack treble a lot, compared to other pressings (and they are loud, -5.00dB average)  If you can get hold of the first CD issues made in late 80's, it is fine. Avoid the "-3.50dB" ones reissued in 1992-1997. I think Choronologie was poorly mastered, and Oxygene 7-13, the loudness race went to its limit for Jarre.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020