Skip to main content
Topic: Higher bitrates for MP3 conversions (Read 1592 times) previous topic - next topic

Higher bitrates for MP3 conversions

I just DL'd & installed the latest version of FB2K. I've never used this prog before, & am wondering why does the MP3 bitrate only go up to 245?? I've never even heard of this bitrate before for MP3! I thought it was 128, 192, 224, 256, 320!? Anyway, so, why does it go as high as 320? I have to convert it to wav. & then MP3-(in a DIFF PROG!)-to save the quality, & not have a low-bitrate MP3 file. WTF?!?!?! Why isn't there a DL on your site for anMP3 320 codec, or even already built into this for MP3 320? Please explain this to me, as this makes no sense whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

__ERIC

Reply #1
As you might have noticed, the predefined LAME entry in the converter uses quality levels V9 (worst) to V0 (best), which are all VBR.
Using a fixed CBR bitrate like 320 tends to waste lots of bits that could have been used in a bit reservoir for intense passages.
If you really want a CBR mode, make a LAME custom preset and pass the relevant switch to it.
Zao shang yong zao nong zao rang zao ren zao.
To, early in the morning, use a chisel to build a bathtub makes impatient people hot-tempered.

Reply #2
It is simple. You have little idea as to what you are doing.

Foobar provides you will a gui interface to whatever mp3 encoder/decoder you have chosen to point it to.

terry

Reply #3
You seem to be talking about CBR. Foobar by default uses the (in 99,9% of the cases) superior VBR by default. You can still use CBR (or even ABR) if you really need to. Just use a custom encoder setting, but there really is no point unless you have a very old portable mp3 player which doesn't support VBR or something.
For further reading: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...8long_answer.29

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019