Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which 5.1 speakers set would you recommend? (Read 3400 times) previous topic - next topic

Which 5.1 speakers set would you recommend?

I'm interested in buying the Cambridge SoundWorks 550 THX, but I would like to get a bit of your divine enlightenment  first...
Is its quality worth its price ?

(Maybe I would be better off with hi-fi speakers, but I believe they require an amp... Forgive my youth and my innocence...)

krys

Reply #1
They're pretty decent I have them myself on the desktop. But I also have a lineout to a Yamaha RDS 630 AMP with the Yamaha NSP-610 speaker set and an Audio Pro Sub Nova Subwoofer.

And you can hear a difference

but the price is also very different

Reply #2
@caero : what are they worth for music ? for DVDs ?

Are they worth the price, or should I just look either to cheaper or to more expensive speaker ? (I can put up to 500 euros...)

Thanks

krys

Reply #3
Most of cheaper speakers suck. I like the sound of Creative inspire digital 5700, they have also digital inputs and DD decoder.

Stay away from Logitech. They have really powerful bass, but in every other way, the sound is quite bad.

However, if you want really good quality, buy ordinary 5.1 speakers set and receiver (amp).

Reply #4
Just sold my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 and the SQ is much better using two amps and two pairs of speakers that I bought after (4.0 setup)... So I'd say that if you're after sound quality - stay away from any computer speakers...

Reply #5
@krys

they're pretty good at music but really excels with movies and such.

But 500 euro won't get you those though

I think I paid 1250 euro for the system back when I bought it all

Reply #6
Last summer.. I did an evaluation of inexpensive 3-way PC speakers and must have bought and returned three or four systems (to the dismay of the store people).

Another post mentioned the Labtec system which has a `deep' bass acoustic suspension sub-woofer that would be good for gaming but it cannot be `balanced' well for fine music listening .. even with bass control all-the-way down.

The system that proved to be beautifully balanced for music was the Boston Acoustics 3-way with a descent sub-woofer and heavy/dense satellite tweeters. With the density of it's satellites .. there was essentially NO vibration, rattles, or any cheap `plastic case' sounds.  It's bass control can adjust the system for a transition to the bass cabinet that is smooth and unnoticable. The mid/tweeters were free of coloration and very natural .. this would be welcome by anyone who knows fine speakers. Although I don't have a power output spec to quote.. the system produced surprising output for it's size without distortion. It is the recommended system for $79 .. definitly a good value.

The next system would be the Klipsch 3-way product .. although .. that was perhaps $199 or even $299 and above the evaluation price range.

Reply #7
stay away from any computer speakers...

Then, Altec Lansing, is it an ok one?