Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Would you like Coverflow as a window or as a columns ui panel?

Window
[ 29 ] (17.9%)
Columns UI panel
[ 133 ] (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Topic: Coverflow as window or as panel? (Read 17648 times) previous topic - next topic

Coverflow as window or as panel?

I'm developing a Coverflow component at the moment (see this post or this video).

On my way on implementing this into foobar I have now to decide if I will make this a panel or a separate window - since it does not really make a difference for me, I wanted to get some opinions from the community.

Reply #1
Yeah it should be a panel (or maybe a facet, if possible?)

I can't see myself using a second window just for coverflow, but if its a panel, the functionality would be great.
that is our karma...

Reply #2
An element for the new default ui would be nice. But as you don't have WinXP you can't use the new f2k version. And there is no sdk yet (afaik)...

Reply #3
I voted for it as a window so that it could be used the the default UI and columns/panels.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
With panelsui one will be able to put a panel into its own windows anyway. Personally I would put it into a new window but since I use panelsui I will be able to do that even if it's a panel. That's why I won't vote.

I can't wait to see it in action.  I've been playing with the alpha version of chronflow for so long now. Even without any functions it's awesome

Reply #5
If you separate your window code creation you can do both without any code duplication

Reply #6
I vote for column ui element but i think that when you double click on the panel it can come in full screen it will be a really good idea i think

Reply #7
Hehe, all right - I'd say there is a clear trend to see here ^^

Reply #9
I would love to get a default ui element too once the SDK is done. You can add it with dockable panels even if it's made for panels ui but a native implementation would be less of a hassle.

Reply #10
Yes, too bad there isn't a third voting choice (Default UI element). Because even if Chronial is NOT able to develop this at the time, it would have been nice to see if users are really interested in DUI integration. That way, in the future, another dev could finish Chronial's work with some nice DUI integration.

Too bad that a simple hardware/software problem prevents Chronial from developing a DUI component (with the appropriate SDK of course). Why develop panels or windows when foobar has now, and will continue to have in the future, another default interface ?

Reply #11
PanelsUI panel, please!

And, please, allow users to specify the playlist to which you can send the tracks of the selected album on a double-click etc. (like playlist  tree, album list etc do.).

Waiting patiently...

Reply #12
I don't get it. Why do I see people want this in DUI? Since this plugin.. bluntly put, is just and eye candy that slowing your foo. with a bit of function that foobar and another plugin can already be done. And DUI are (I think) designed to be fast,simple,functional.

I see confliction here.

BTW, I voted for Panel. but i hope that you can somehow manage to support it all.

Reply #13
I don't get it. Why do I see people want this in DUI?

Maybe because that would avoid having to install also Panels UI when you already have DUI with Facets and are happy with it ?
Maybe because more and more people are getting fast CPUs / GPUs that won't be slowed down by such a plugin ?

I don't get it. Would you want DUI to be fast, functional, but empty of advanced functions and eye-candy ? Because it it were so, then we'd better call it "Beginners UI". That at least would be clear.

I prefer to see DUI as... the "Default UI", so, simply put, THE UI for the future of foobar, with optional features such as CoverFlow (you choose to install it or not, it's an optional component after all... even on DUI). And I like to think that even Chronial would have considered porting his CoverFlow to DUI, had he got the right OS and the SDK. But I may be wrong of course.

Reply #14
Frank Bicking sure have developed one great plugin cause I see some people use DUI just for the Facets. Even if they have to painfully sacrificed another thing such as custom button,custom shiny UI,etc.

I don't understand how great it is cause I don't use it. Tried it, but it's just not my thing (imply to anything alike - browser,albumlist,playlist tree,etc) and my music tag have too low information to make Facets useful.

Sorry for OT.

Reply #15
If It Was Me I Would Make Both,Whoever Wants The Window Let Them Go For It & WhoEver Wants The Panel Go Ahead , Everybodys HAPPY...

Reply #16
I believe that as a panels  ui will be more customizable..but..isn't panels ui dead? I'm very confused..i have made my foobar 0.9.4 as i want it but i read somewhere that panels ui won't continue to be developed for the new foobar...what is next? Why developing a plugin for an abandoned project? I think its better to make it compatible with the new foobar2000 as an element...

Reply #17
I believe that as a panels  ui will be more customizable..but..isn't panels ui dead? I'm very confused..i have made my foobar 0.9.4 as i want it but i read somewhere that panels ui won't continue to be developed for the new foobar...what is next? Why developing a plugin for an abandoned project? I think its better to make it compatible with the new foobar2000 as an element...

What does PanelsUI really have to do with it? Columns UI isn´t dead and the question is "window or columnsui panel?" I don´t get how PanelsUI´s death has anything to do with it.

Why develop panels or windows when foobar has now, and will continue to have in the future, another default interface ?

Because some people may prefer it over the DefaultUI?

Reply #18
Yes, but what if those people were the minority versus all the masses that prefer the DUI ? This vote won't let us know ! 

I have no problem with this component being developed for ColumnsUI. What I'm saying is that, IN EVERY CASE, it should ALSO be ported sooner or later to Default UI. And if Chronial doesn't have the technical means to do so, I'm sure there will be another developer willing to do this port, with credits to Chronial of course.

CoverFlow is a very popular feature, and that's why (1) it would interest most users of the Default UI, and (2) it should be ported to the Default UI.

Again, I think it's wrong to let people vote between two other solutions, without letting them a third possible vote for Default UI.

Reply #19
Well, I think it´s simply a matter of what Chronial wants. It´s his component and he can do what he wants with it. There´s no wrong/right, should/shouldn´t here.

Reply #20
the alpha demo is so good and little.Hope you to developed strong and perfect.

Reply #21
Im sure that for those using the new default UI - they will be able to use this via the dockable panels addon.

Is this going to be just a up/down coverflow or the option to scroll left/right ?

Reply #22
Is this going to be just a up/down coverflow or the option to scroll left/right ?

I think this will be completely customizable via titleformat.

Reply #23
Might I ask why you picked the title formatting language as your way of customization instead of something more suitable, like say Lua, a visual builder with XML as a back end or Python?
I would say that the title formatting language is not useful for much more than trivial text formatting.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #24
Might I ask why you picked the title formatting language as your way of customization instead of something more suitable, like say Lua, a visual builder with XML as a back end or Python?
I would say that the title formatting language is not useful for much more than trivial text formatting.

It's implemented in the foobar SDK.