Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: are moderators too harsh and dictatorial over harmless topics? (Read 35071 times) previous topic - next topic

are moderators too harsh and dictatorial over harmless topics?

-

Reply #1
I would respond by simply asking a question...

If you build something, and you maintain something, do you get to make the rules as to how it is used?
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #2
I agree, but for LULZ sake I hope this thread is deleted.

Reply #3
Agree.

Reply #4
...I hope this thread is deleted.

...or moved to the appropriate forum, at least.  This has nothing to do with "General Audio" and as such is in violation of TOS #6.

Reply #5
I don't know who you are or what you're complaining about but honestly the fact that you posted this thread probably means whatever they moderated you for was justified.

Reply #6
-

Reply #8
I posted in this forum because it needs attention and "site related discussion" doesn't get any...

So the forum rules should take a back seat to what you think the forum needs?

Reply #9
-

Reply #10
Oh you are so hilarious
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #11
I don't know who you are or what you're complaining about but honestly the fact that you posted this thread probably means whatever they moderated you for was justified.

That's like saying, I don't know what Gary Kasparov is complaining about, but the fact that he's on TV talking about it probably means whatever he was arrested for was justified.

If you don't know what he's complaining about and don't care to understand, please refrain from commenting on this thread.

Reply #12
How does one get rid of a warning anyway? I've been at 33% for over a year, and I can't even remember what I did.

Reply #13
How does one get rid of a warning anyway? I've been at 33% for over a year, and I can't even remember what I did.

It goes, eventually.

Re dictatorships: I don't think that being told what to do on an Internet forum owned by someone else quite corresponds to being told what to do all the time, whatever you're doing, in your own home. Beyond that, I've no idea what this is about so you can fight it out amongst yourselves, if you want.

Reply #14
Too harsh and dictatorial? Far from it. They never ever do a single thing without a reason. You might question the validity of the reason, but the fact remains that Hydrogenaudio is not the greater Internet. Sites are inherently "walled gardens". They are inherently dictatorial.

To draw an analogy, so are corporations. Where the power resides varies, but just because you're a customer doesn't mean you get to make policy decisions. Even if you account for 10% of a corporation's sales, all the influence you have is to cease business with that corporation.

The same is true here. Hydrogenaudio gets a lot of traffic. In order to keep things sane, there are rules. There is management. You might not agree with the management, but if you dislike it that much, you can go elsewhere. Good luck finding a management that is as willing to listen to reason as this one. TOS8 has prevented more stupidity than any other forum rule that I've ever encountered.

I'm a prime example. I've been a complete flaming retard on several occasions here. Yet in the end, if I'm wrong, I admit it. I've not once run into a serious issue with the moderation here, despite how close I tread to the edge sometimes. This is a damn good site run by damn good people, and I am saddened that other people perceive them as this thread describes them. If you knew them at all and have seen how they run this site, you'd probably think differently.

This forum is the only forum I frequent, and the management is the reason behind that. Beware! You are coming awfully close to insulting something that I value very highly.

Reply #15
...I hope this thread is deleted.

...or moved to the appropriate forum, at least.  This has nothing to do with "General Audio" and as such is in violation of TOS #6.

The trash can. No moderation is done here without reason.

So your complaining your not banned yet? because you were simply re-warned?

Reply #16
In my first year on HA I got a lot of warnings, and for some of them I couldn't see a reason.
In an overall sense however the warnings have shown me how to write things the right way. In the end
a) moderation is necessary.
b) moderation is not too harsh here. In case you don't agree with specific warnings it's good to realize that we do not live in a perfect world, and to realize that you can say here whatever you want to, but have to put it into a certain form so that your writing is easier to read for other people. That's all what it is about. Mere emotional opinion of course is not welcome here.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #17
*sigh*

Bourne, you are one of our frequent flyers. I reduced your warn level so I could rewarn you and thus suspend your post rights for a few days, after you once again violated the TOS by trolling. Reducing warn level to do that, is a technicality of how the warn system works, since I can't append to the warn log when a user is at 100%. The fact that you were re-warned and not banned, says something about our tolerance here, and our acknowledgement that you are an active poster. Yet you continue to dig your own grave.

As for how the moderation works around here, we have a non-public IRC channel that we usually discuss moderation issues in, if the case isn't a clear open-and-shut case such as spamming, trolling or something like that. This thread is sure to come up for discussion today, when people get off work/school, and I'm sure we'll reach a Final Solution. In the mean time, I'm moving this to off topic.

Reply #18
Do you notice my WARN levels? It has reached 100%, and he reduced the level to re-warn. Am I too stupid or he plays too much with the mod tools? Are site administrators aware and agreeable with this? If 100% is a ban, why did he reduce to re-warn? Is the mod making his own party?
The moderator simply removed an old warning and issued a new one in the same action.  I don't see the big deal.

Don't you think sometimes a moderator is harsh enough even on harmless topics?
Have you gotten censored? Did you go to the Recycle bin?
Why is it so harsh? Is it Dibrom dictatorial legacy?
It is possible; we are all human and there is some subjectivity to a moderator's response. Yes. Yes.  Certainly not Dibrom, as he has not been active for probably two years.

The TOS parts (especially "no mod action discussion" etc..) probably was first introduced to prevent HA from the real idiots. But today it is used by german blockwart like people. Everything which doesn't go well with the typical HA/fb2k zealotry can easily be moderated. And, TOS7, you cannot criticize in public.
"german blockwart like people"?  Nice.  TOS #7 just stops mud being slung in public.  If you have an issue it should be discussed in private with the mod, and escalated to the admin team if unresolved.

Quoting from one of user's here that PM'ed me:
"I once asked in "site related discussions" when I would lose my old 33% warning and declared (meant as a side blow), to never criticize anything again. Well I lost my warning, but the posting simply got deleted."
I deleted the thread.  When I read the thread (I do read threads in Site Related Discussion) I removed the warning, as it was old.  At that time the thread became irrelevant so I deleted it.  I guess I could have posted to the thread and told him that I had removed the warning, but his warnometer is no-one else's business.

Another user who sent me a PM:
"Oh yeah, it's not recommened --xlevel as the default setting in HA.org, but however I recommended, it's just that HA has too many ignorant people to be arguing with..."
How is this relevant?!  Wow, he has some beefs because the majority don't recommend --xlevel.  Big hairy deal.

Oh yeah... this message might get deleted or moved. But if you read it, make a copy of it for you to see that we cannot discuss or criticize. You will see that it's the way I am saying. And probably I will get another warn level (but he will have to reduce again LOL).
I am personally very keen for general (not personal) issues to be discussed in Site Related Discussion.  Members should feel that they have a voice.  That said, I think that you have been so offensive in this thread that I cannot condone your actions.  I would not be surprised if you are banned, which you seem to want.

I posted in this forum because it needs attention and "site related discussion" doesn't get any, so I posted here to make it appear on "Portal".
If "Site Related Discussion" does not get enough attention it is because users of the forum are quite happy with the way the forum is running and do not feel the need to be posting about it!  I don't see how you can excuse deliberately posting to the wrong thread to get yourself more attention.  And then double-posting (duplicate thread deleted by me).

Well call it a strike or whatever... but that is the way I found out to complain since people can't complain. you guys have applied for "Moderation" vacancies? I guess so, because you simply can't see away from your vision spot but just worship HA dickheads. Mike suggested a "ban", oh but yeah I am a candie... candidate to the Mod Team perhaps in a next future hmmm... Man why don't you ask the admin the Ban button in your finger so you can just press it? Since you like it so much, anyways, no use to ban me, since I can acess here through different networks. I can always come back, but if that's happening a lot of people read the topic and you guys will prove all the way I am so totally right about you.
HA dickheads?  Nice.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #19
good read over coffee, thanks.

Reply #20
I posted in this forum because it needs attention and "site related discussion" doesn't get any, so I posted here to make it appear on "Portal". Well Mike, you think he was justified probably because you think you are "too right" too?

Indybrett, well, doesn't make any sense. If I build my own house I make the rules for it, but I didn't know HA.org was a "building". Doesn't make sense because we're talking about how stupid restrictions are sometimes. But you seem to like dictatorship.

And Mike, the ADMINS know who are on a modding spree. So I won't tell you.

Didn't say HA was a building, but that would work.  Could be building a web site, a football team, an interstate highways system.  I only tried to answer your question in a polite way that might help you to see why you are wrong.  That you think it doesn't make any sense indicates why you are having "issues".

Reply #21
this is the worst "injustice" i've ever seen!

OMG how do you go on living!

LOL

Reply #22
I will say that, at least with what Bourne's examples sound like, the moderation seems somewhat capricious. What I mean by that is that there are many posts that slide by nowadays that would be moderated out if given the same treatment. (I've had my fair share of inane and meaningless posts, and so far I've managed to avoid the Recycle Bin entirely, amazingly enough.)

Still, I enjoy the moderation style. The signal-to-noise ratio of posts here is far higher than on other forums, and in large part, that's because people here seem to shut their stupid mouths if they don't have anything useful to contribute. Compare that to Head-Fi and SH.tv, where it seems like a dozen people wish to make their presence known on a regular basis.

Reply #23
Axon: Moderation can't be 100% fair and uniform. Us moderators are different, and each of us can't read all of HA. Maybe I'll clamp down on something that other mods let slide, but that's just the way it is, unless we employ paid full time moderators from different time zones.

Reply #24
I like the way this Popsicle-stand is run. HA is a knowledge based forum. It is designed for people that actually search the forum before posting. If the mods split the threads or remove posts, bless'em, because it becomes real frustrating when one hasn't the faintest idea of where a discussion is going! [I personally wish more threads were renamed to better explain what the person was asking, because "I don't know what to do! Help!" doesn't scream out to me that this thread might have the information I am looking for. Same goes for when the OP starts asking a whole lotta questions far outside the scope of his original post.]

There are no opinions (except to that of preference to codec), meaning you either present facts, ideas, suggestions, etc. HA requires you to post said facts, and when questioned or disagreed with, you should have something to support your said facts. This doesn't allow trolling and flaming to occur if you remember this is a resource for the audio technology enthusiast.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(