Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Still getting `pops' and `snaps' in Audio (Read 7534 times) previous topic - next topic

Still getting `pops' and `snaps' in Audio

Reply #25
Intermittent "snaps" at 0dB that ruin everything you're listening to and make you think you're damaging your speakers.

You seem to have tried the same things I have; right now I'm focusing more on the IRQs to see what I can do.  The 424 isn't on a shared IRQ, but I get the feeling that Win2k doesn't handle IRQs properly and tries to share all of them unless you explicitly tell it not to.  It certainly doesn't help that the 424 doesn't actually have a WDM driver, but rather a jury rig of the NT driver that requires Standard PC mode...

Well .. went ahead and `pulled' the SBLive and as expected.. the integrated audio system was recognized and came up on IRQ 5 without the slightest problem. A quick re-install of DirectX 8.1 and then SP3 .. and all was running smoothly.  { yeah !! }

IRQ Number   Device

1   Standard 101/102-Key or PS/2 Keyboard
3   Communications Port (COM2)
4   Communications Port (COM1)
5   Crystal WDM Audio
6   Standard floppy disk controller
8   System CMOS/real time clock
9   Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
12   PS/2 Compatible Mouse
13   Numeric data processor
16   NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

The sound has been running now for 12-hours with out extraneous noises. It even works with fun games like Motocross Madness..!!  { grin }  but hardware buffers are not supported. Makes sense.. that it was designed to work correctly with the system.

Cheers..!!