Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Search flood control (Read 4020 times) previous topic - next topic

Search flood control

Question: if this forum is on its own server, why is the search flood control still set to 20 seconds? It's quite frustrating, if I have a typo in a search, and have to wait 20 seconds to correct the typo. Why not set it to 1/2 a second or something?

I'm surprised one of the administrators hasn't already run into this problem and been irritated enough to disable the flood control.

Search flood control

Reply #1
Oh man, sheesh, why are you so disappointed? Thought about the possibility that maybe it was overlooked? or something?.. A simple suggestion would have been nicer. Anyway, 1/2 a second is way too low, i'd say minimum 5 seconds is good.

Search flood control

Reply #2
I'd actually meant to disable it a long time ago, and thought I had.  I'll take another look...

Search flood control

Reply #3
It's good that SometimesWarrior brought this up. I've also been been bothered by this message board feature after trying to correct typos.

Search flood control

Reply #4
Oh man, sheesh, why are you so disappointed? Thought about the possibility that maybe it was overlooked? or something?.. A simple suggestion would have been nicer. Anyway, 1/2 a second is way too low, i'd say minimum 5 seconds is good.

I was making a suggestion. I'm not sure why you say I need to be "nicer".

Why do you say 1/2 second is way too low? I don't think there's a reason to have any delay for a search, unless there's not enough processing time to handle all the searches, or there's a risk of some malicious user sending a million search queries a minute. A 1/2 second delay between searches won't be noticed by the end user, but it will protect the server from script kiddies. At least, that's how my logic goes.

Thanks for looking into the matter, Dibrom.

Search flood control

Reply #5
I tweaked the delay time down from 20 seconds to 3 seconds for HA members, and 6 seconds for Guests.

Search flood control

Reply #6
I tweaked the delay time down from 20 seconds to 3 seconds for HA members, and 6 seconds for Guests.

Terrific... I did a test to see how fast I could perform two searches, and I still didn't get a "flood control" message. I don't think I'll ever see a flood control message again! Thanks!

Search flood control

Reply #7
You're welcome