Skip to main content
Topic: wv to mp3 in fb2k 0.9.5 b7 (Read 4354 times) previous topic - next topic

wv to mp3 in fb2k 0.9.5 b7

I always used the following parameters to encode to mp3 in fb2k 0.9.4.5 + LAME 3.97.

-b 320 -m s -q 0 %d

Now with v 0.9.5 I get this message
Code: [Select]
Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://H:\Twine 2003\G_R_V.mp3

The preset still working in lame's 3.97 comand line.
Any idea of what can be happening in foobar?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply #1
Could somebody tell me if these parameters works in your fb2k 0.9.5? or in case not give me a 320 cbr preset that works in this version of fb2k?

Reply #2
I can confirm that this doesn't work as well. I tried to convert .wma to .mp3 instead of wv (.wav?) and I got the same error.
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

Reply #3
Thanx for reply, good to know that the problem it's not just here. It  seems to be with cbr presets at time to convert from x=>mp3 (no problem with the default vbr setting), I tried to convert from flac, ape, wv, wmv using that preset and also some well known variations of it (quality, mode, bitrate) and got the same error. Nothing of this happened on previous version of foobar.

Reply #4
Same issue here with the aoTuV Ogg Vorbis encoder(Beta 5). Never had a problem with previous Foobar versions. Though, Lancer and LAME are both still working fine. Not sure what the deal is.

Reply #5
Neither I but it's between foobar and lame (any 9.9x version).
I've no problems encoding at cbr in lame's comand line or with pograms like cdex or EAC.
I hope this issue could be fixed in fb2k beta 8.

Reply #6
Hmm, never had such a problem with any of the 9.5 betas up to beta 7.

Command line: -S -b 320 --noreplaygain - %d

This was Wavpack to MP3 (Lame 3.97)

Reply #7
I always used the following parameters to encode to mp3 in fb2k 0.9.4.5 + LAME 3.97.

-b 320 -m s -q 0 %d
User error: wrong parameters / missing "-" stdin specifier, which is exactly what the error message is trying to tell you. Not a bug.
PS. Just tested these exact parameters with 0.9.4.5, same result as with 0.9.5.

Reply #8
Sorry, I forgot to put that "-" in the first post but I did it in foobar (in fact the only thing that I did is take the vbr line and replace "-V 2 --vbr-new" for "-b 320 -m s -q 0") and I got that error message.
I tried now 
-S -b 320 --noreplaygain - %d
and also
-S --noreplaygain -b 320 -m s -q 0 - %d
and the error still appearing.
Probably I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what
I know that it's a little dumb of my part ask you but could you give me a comand line for 320 cbr that works so I can copy-paste to avoid any stupid error. Many thankx in advance.

Reply #9
Does the problem also occur when using built-in settings for LAME instead of your custom command-line parameters (select "MP3 (LAME)" from the encoder drop-down list etc)?

Reply #10
The only built-in setting that I see is for vbr (-S --noreplaygain -V 2 --vbr-new - %d) and it's working fine.
Screenshot of the only mp3 built-in preset
[a href="http://img191.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=76005_pic_122_215lo.jpg" target="_blank"]

Reply #11
I had no problems transcoding (from flac) with the following parameter string:

-S --noreplaygain -b 320 - %d

While they shouldn't prevent you from encoding, those extra -m and -q parameters are unnecessary.  Joint Stereo is lossless, so you're actually wasting bits encoding to full stereo (lower quality), and AFAIK setting q to zero as opposed to the default does little (if nothing) to improve quality with CBR.  Though granted at 320kbps these won't make a difference.

Reply #12
The only built-in setting that I see is for vbr (-S --noreplaygain -V 2 --vbr-new - %d) and it's working fine.
User error then, you've probably changed other settings such as encoder's max. supported bits-per-sample to an incorrect value for LAME, or something similar.

Your screenshots say nothing relevant, if you still can't figure this out, please post a screenshot of the configuration dialog with your command-line parameters etc.

I don't want this thread to turn into yet another religious debate about MP3 encoding settings, but as the post before mine says, you're probably better off using built-in settings instead of your custom parameters, quality-wise.

Reply #13
It wasn't my intention to post "my quality-wise parameters", I know almost nothing about sound, I'm just a music lover and regular foobar user, 320 cbr is too much ask or too "wise"?
With the other custom preset I just wanted to probe that custom vbr parameters works and custom cbr not (at least for me).
Anyway I'll try to resolve it for myself. Best regards and thanx for make this wonderful program

Reply #14

-b 320 -m s -q 0 %d

Now with v 0.9.5 I get this message
Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://H:\Twine 2003\G_R_V.mp3

The preset still working in lame's 3.97 comand line.
Any idea of what can be happening in foobar?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I got this error when I used the Advanced Limiter DSP.  When I removed this DSP, I had no problem.  Check the DSP's to see if one of them is causing the difficulty.

Reply #15
well bro i use this command for convert to *.mp3

-S -c -q 0 --noreplaygain --preset insane - %d

and it's fine, btw my lame version 3.98 (alpha11, Jan 14 2007 15:24:14),
but i think it's no problem with 3.97

*: --preset insane is same with CBR 320

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020