Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why IB not PHPBB? (Read 21186 times) previous topic - next topic

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #25
That's a very small issue which doesn't in any way make Mozilla incompatible..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #26
IPB 1.2 beta will be relased soon.

EDIT: Link

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #27
I used to run phpBB board but InvisionBoard is at the moment way better    Can't wait for the v1.2 

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #28
Why is it a hundred dollars just to remove "Powered by Invision Power Board v1.1.1 © 2003  IPS, Inc."??

I take it from this board having that, you opted not to pay?  Tbh, I don't have the inclination to convert a moderate sized forum over to Ipf, and similar to audio-coding oddities, I feel loyal to the phpBB team enough to wait until they are the best forum software again (if ever...)

Heh, this might come from running a UBB5 series board until the end of last year... er, 3 years past it's 'recommended use-by date' - any forum (maybe not vB) is a godsend )
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #29
IPB 1.2 beta will be relased soon.

EDIT: Link

And they probably didn't fix the issue with Mozilla. I'll check anyway.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #31
Latest news from Invision
Invision Power Board v1.2 is at the very last stage of development. We're so pleased with it's progress that we're confident enough to set a date for it's first public release.

You will be able to download the Invision Power Board v1.2 Beta on the evening of Sunday June 15th.

We're aiming to have one more status update very early next week and then we'll be looking at releasing it to our team for closed beta testing before it's public release on the 15th June.

With the comprehensive team beta testing, we are expecting that this first release will be very stable and can be used in a production environment.

1.2 will have many really cool features.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #32
why not http://www.vbulletin.com then? Although its quite expensive, its got lottsa nice features!
everybody's a jerk. you, me, this jerk!

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #33
why not http://www.vbulletin.com then? Although its quite expensive, its got lottsa nice features!

Ask Dibrom, I know his answer

IPB 1.2:
* looks nicer
* have a lot of features (are you sure that vbulletin has more features?)
* is free
* is good enough

Also converting to vbulletin (is there any convertor) will need time and effort.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #34
I think cost is the most important factor here! VBulletin rocks, but among free packages the IPB is the best. Never liked phpBB. Never saw a good looking phpBB board. They seem so featureless, vanilla board!!!
everybody's a jerk. you, me, this jerk!

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #35
I think cost is the most important factor here! VBulletin rocks, but among free packages the IPB is the best. Never liked phpBB. Never saw a good looking phpBB board. They seem so featureless, vanilla board!!!

I never saw good looking VB board either.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #36
SafirXP:

Actually, this site was using vBulletin until something like August of last year (the date sounds about right, not sure though), and I can tell you, it was NOT better than it is now. Invision Board is just "nicer", and free (I never quite got it why Dibrom chose a highly expensive forum system for the site, when there were free alternatives available...).

(Apart from that, vBulletin threads don't display correctly in Opera, they look extremely ugly. Good thing I wasn't using Opera at the time this site was still running vB, I would have gone mad.)

This is somewhat off-topic, but I'll try anyway (in the hope that Dibrom or JohnV will read it): What happened to the HA "donations fund" or "subscription service" that was discussed a few months ago? I still think it would be a great idea...

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #37
This is somewhat off-topic, but I'll try anyway (in the hope that Dibrom or JohnV will read it): What happened to the HA "donations fund" or "subscription service" that was discussed a few months ago? I still think it would be a great idea...

I've been so busy the last few weeks working on laying out the HA Faq System (using Zope/CMF/Python, which includes just learning these technologies), revamping the server for the other hosted sites here, working on a new possibly much larger project, and dealing with many RL issues so much so that I just haven't had time to get this in place.  I still hope to do it at some point.  Maybe soon, maybe not quite so soon... we'll just have to see

Oh, and I'm moving again, so add that to the list of things keeping me busy atm..

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #38
1.2 will have many really cool features.

[:ADMIN - BOTs:] New tools to help bots index the board
[:ADMIN - GLOBAL:] Preferences section added to make use of Admin CP more Admin-friendly
[:ADMIN - GROUPS:] New cleaner group permissions layout
[:ADMIN - LOGS:] Root admin Email log viewer
[:ADMIN - MODERATION:] New "multi-moderation" enables admins to set up various mod. tasks
[:ADMIN - MODERATION:] Mod CP added to Admin CP
[:ADMIN - FORUMS:] New clearer forum panel layout - inc. revised forum permissions layout
[:ADMIN - SKINNING:] Improved Navigation & "Quick Clicks" drop-down menu
[:ADMIN - SKINNING:] Edit multiple templates within the same section simultaneously
[:ADMIN - USERS:] Improved "manage validations" layout
[:ADMIN - USERS:] New account suspension system; totally automated temporary bans.
[:ADMIN - USERS:] Automated timed "deny posting abilities" system
[:ADMIN - USERS:] Automated, timed "mod queue this members posts" system

[:DISPLAY:] Ability to autohide forthcoming calendar events when none to show
[:DISPLAY:] Ability to autohide today's birthdays when none to show

[:GLOBAL:] Board guidelines/rules feature added
[:GLOBAL:] CSS W3C validation
[:GLOBAL:] XHTML 1.0 Transitional W3C Validation
[:GLOBAL:] WCAG / WAI LVL A - A W3C tentative compliance
[:GLOBAL:] Ability to use an external style sheet and retain dynamic elements
[:GLOBAL:] Forum permission system: Enables per user and per group forum masks independent of member group
[:GLOBAL:] "Site Jump" added to "Forum Jump" drop down menu
[:GLOBAL:] Restyled header, combining new link strip with icons
[:GLOBAL:] Forum read cookies centralized into one serialized cookie
[:GLOBAL:] Auto session ID hiding - uses cookies where available
[:GLOBAL:] More "number_format" usage for uniformed look
[:GLOBAL:] Signature separator now fully skinnable

[:FORUMS:] Auto "new posts" forum marker reset when viewing topic list
[:FORUMS:] External redirect setting available on all forums; redirects to any specified page/site
[:FORUMS:] Short URL tags; easy & quick access to forums & topics; search engine friendlier too!
[:FORUMS:] Forum rules display above forum, topic and posting screens
[:FORUMS:] "Jump to page" feature in forum and topic views

[:MEMBERS:] Personal Photo facility added to enable members to upload/link to a personal photo
[:MEMBERS:] New avatar control panel; including new avatar galleries / auto resizer
[:MEMBERS:] Integrity Messenger integration added
[:MEMBERS:] Custom profile fields can now be used in Topic View (CPU saving option)
[:MEMBERS:] New registration authorization system allows for validation emails to be resent
[:MEMBERS:] New streamlined lost password system; allows member to select their own password
[:MEMBERS:] Ability to resend validation email
[:MEMBERS:] Ability to edit topic title (group opt.) - editing first post allows title edit
[:MEMBERS:] Flood control / max email per day added to stop bulk mail being sent via the board

[:MODERATORS:] Ability to "leave pinned topics" when mass pruning or moving topics from ModCP
[:MODERATORS:] Forum View displays a message when there are topics/posts awaiting approval

[:CALENDAR:] Ranged Events feature; includes user defined font & bg colours
[:CALENDAR:] Recurring Events; repeat weekly, monthly or annually
[:CALENDAR:] New, improved layout - turn birthdays on and off

[:SECURITY:] New robust GD (and optional TTF) security code image generator
[:SECURITY:] Tighter forced globals control, $root_path eliminated for safety
[:SECURITY:] XSS / Form abuse limited with new security feature

[:POSTING:] Quick Reply feature added. On/Off switch for each forum
[:POSTING:] More list options added by using [list=1] / [list=i] / [list=I] / [list=a] / [list=A]
[:POSTING:] New  tag added; executes HTML and keeps the original formatting intact.
[:POSTING:] Admin settable word wrap limit - stops long unbroken words from distoring the tables
[:POSTING:] BB Code help screen added, shows common code usage
[:POSTING:] Error screens show text area with any post material in allowing you to copy it before hitting "back"
[:POSTING:] "Pin & Close" added to moderators option list when posting.
[:POSTING:] Ability to add a new attachment to a post when editing
[:POSTING:] Ability to show inline attached images as thumbnails
[:POSTING:] "Enable Topic Tracking" checkbox in each new post / reply post page

[:POLLING:] Topic starter / Super Moderator can create a poll after the topic has been posted
[:POLLING:] Admin setting for the maximum number of poll questions allowed
[:POLLING:] When editing a poll, the editor has an option to add new choices to the poll
[:POLLING:] Admin option to allow members to view poll results without forfeiting their vote

[:SEARCHING:] Full text searching available; vastly reduced searching times and improved efficiency
[:SEARCHING:] View results as post now orders by post date, not topic's last posted date

[:MESSAGING:] Private messages includes better error handler to prevent lost messages when an error occurs
[:MESSAGING:] New "Empty PM Folders" feature to quickly prune saved messages
[:MESSAGING:] Inbox, Sent items and custom folders shown in main UCP menu for quick access

[:ONLINE USERS:] New sorting options added; ability to view only members or guests

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #39

I never saw good looking VB board either.

*gasp*
http://forum.yaxay.com/  Probably the best vB design out there.
http://www.vbskins.com/demo/ Tons of other templates designed by the same guy.

Nevertheless, IPB is the best free board.  However, if money weren't an issue, vB beats it hands-down.  The IPB code is a pain to work with, even though it's OOP.  The template system is impossible too.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #40
However, if money weren't an issue, vB beats it hands-down.  The IPB code is a pain to work with, even though it's OOP.  The template system is impossible too.

Any more advantages?

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #41
Just thought I'd throw my 2p in and link this for those who haven't seen it.  phpBB 2.2 is coming along very nicely.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #43
Nevertheless, IPB is the best free board.  However, if money weren't an issue, vB beats it hands-down.  The IPB code is a pain to work with, even though it's OOP.  The template system is impossible too.

I disagree.  IPB is nicer feature wise, it is faster, and personally I've found the code and templating system easier to work with.  There's a reason that we switched from vB to IPB and that's because, quite simply, IPB is a better board.  Cost was not really the main deciding factor, it was just icing on the cake.

This whole argument is rather moot though.  HA will stay with IPB for the forseeable future.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #44
Apart from that, vBulletin threads don't display correctly in Opera, they look extremely ugly. Good thing I wasn't using Opera at the time this site was still running vB, I would have gone mad.

Not only in Opera.
Message box witdth is not wide enough in Mozilla on vB (I think this is configurable, but that's not important now).

vB is somehow "too old".
vB is only known as the best, but it certainly isn't.

IPB is more user-friendly, has nicer admin and mod CP, it's easier to use, it simply beats vB.
IPB is faster than vB.
IPB is better looking.
IPB is more feature-rich.
IPB is free. So, it's widely used, widely tested and many bugs and suggestions are reported.
And, also, IPB author cares about display in *all* browsers (even he personally uses Mozilla) and W3 compatibility.

Simply, this is what makes it a good board. And it will get even better in future for sure.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #46
Well, beta2 is there, and still no JavaScript fix for Mozilla

Is that really that hard?

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #49
But they do!