Skip to main content
Topic: foo_queuecontents - View and edit queue (Read 111858 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_queuecontents - View and edit queue

Reply #250
Does this still work? I added the panel to columns ui, but it's always empty. Am I missing something?

Reply #251
Just to be sure, Do you have items in your playback queue?

The component just shows the queue, which is different from "what is going to be played next"?

But yeah, other users can probably comment whether the component still works for them. Personally I have not used it for a long time.

Reply #252
Just to be sure, Do you have items in your playback queue?

The component just shows the queue, which is different from "what is going to be played next"?

But yeah, other users can probably comment whether the component still works for them. Personally I have not used it for a long time.

Ah okay. I don't know what use is a playback queue then... I could just create a playlist of the files I want to play.

Reply #253
Hi,
just to answer this 2 year old
for the ones, who want to try this component.

I was curious how it would work and so I installed this component in f2k 1.4.1.

It works ok, but I had some glitches/lags with the activated options of foo_keep_queue "keep queue" and "keep queue on exit". When deactivating those options in the Playback menu of f2k, it worked better/faster.

The UI is nice and you can configure it as you wish, but why the hassle?

In 2018, I'm expecting some more fancy stuff to handle a playback-queue.
you need some other components to make the playback-queue feature more useful, like foo_queue_random or foo_play_next or some other, I forgot about. However, the two mentioned components are very basic in their features, so don't expect great changes...

The component is far away from the (nowadays) intuitive queue-features of, say google's play or apple's itunes, or maybe any other modern player, and you probably install it only, because you thing it could be useful :) but it isnt. (no complaints here, just my usecase)

In the end (after 1h): It was no fun to play with, so I removed it.

Anyways, I'm more connected to the ways foobar2000 works with playlists.
If you use foobar2000, you don't really need a playback-queue-thingy, because, you. just. play. playlists. period. :)

From the Wiki: How do I have a Winamp style "now playing" playlist?

Reply #254
I was curious how it would work and so I installed this component in f2k 1.4.1.

Thanks for testing it out, for what it's worth.

The component is far away from the (nowadays) intuitive queue-features of, say google's play or apple's itunes, or maybe any other modern player, and you probably install it only, because you thing it could be useful :) but it isnt. (no complaints here, just my usecase)

I'm sorry you got the wrong picture from the description. People have misinterpreted it before as well, e.g. here. In fact, the most recent post (before you revived the thread) discussed the same topic.

So I'm not sure what you are after with this "rant". The component does what it is meant to do -- showing the internal playback queue of the player, which is normally hidden. User can also modify the order of queue items. Please note that the playback queue is actually feature of foobar itself, not introduced by this component. There are (or at least were years ago when I was developing this addon) various limitations with queue, e.g. maximum number of songs in the queue is very restricted.

I certainly agree that the way foobar handles queue is not matching the other music players. I remember when I switched to spotify ages ago -- it felt so alien but now it feels quite natural, and I have grown into it.

I bet it is untrivial to change the foobar is deciding the order songs to play, it's pretty much deep in the player. That's why you probably had hard time finding anything to make it "more modern".

Reply #255
... quite old thread ;) about a really fine component!

I've assigned some (context menu) commands to hotkeys:
<Alt+Q> for 'Add to Queue'
<Ctrl+Q> for 'Remove from Queue'
<Ctrl+Alt+Q> for 'Clear Queue'
They all work fine and correspond well with Queue Contents Editor UI element in my personal DUI.

<Shift+Q> is assigned to 'Queue Contents Editor' from main menu 'View'.
Unfortunately this assignment doesn't work as expected.
Instead of activating the Queue Contents Editor UI element, it opens the standalone Queue Contents Editor window.

Did I miss anything? Is there a workaround or a newer version than 0.5.1? Thanks in advance.

Reply #256
I am trying to install "Ver.0.5.1" of "Queue Contents Editor" on foobar2000 (Ver.1.5.1).

I installed the "Queue Contents Editor" component in the "Preferences" dialog of foobar2000, and then set up the "Queue Contents Editor" in the "Preferences" dialog.

I checked the "Enable Queue Playlist Feature" checkbox and then set the "Playlist name" text area to a string "My favorite songs" that was different from the default string "Queue", and then clicked the "Apply" button.
However, in the "Playlist switcher" panel, the playlist for the playback queue was created with the default "Queue" name instead of "My favorite songs".

After that, in the "Preferences" dialog of foobar2000, I changed the name of the playlist for playback queue to "test" and clicked the "Apply" button. However, in the "Playlist switcher" panel, a new playlist "My favorite songs" was created, separate from the "Queue" playlist. Moreover, those "Queue" and "My favorite songs" playlists cannot be deleted from the "Playlist switcher" panel.

After that, I tried restarting foobar2000. Then a new playlist "test" was created in the "Playlist swtcher" panel...

... is this a bug?

Reply #257
Thanks for reporting this and clearly documenting the workaround as well.

Since the playlist feature is legacy (has been a decade now :)), I am not planning to pursue bug fixes for that.

Best
kerpondile

Reply #258
Hi, I found this component by the end of the last year when invited to a party to perform as an amateur DJ. Equipped with f2K, external soundcard, computer and a braille display (I am blind) and this and other components installed, I had a great time enjoying this session as I browsed my premade playlists of various genres, sorted by BPM, placing songs one by one into a playback queue, or when I wanted to have a break, placed e.g. five songs to played in a row and when I realised their order in the queue was chosen wrongly or could be simply better I chose this Queue playlist and simply rearranged them. For me is much better choice than a separate panel or window. Many thanks to all who allowed me to have great success with this session.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020