Skip to main content
Topic: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates (Read 5994 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates

Reply #100
What is stopping you from selecting all tracks of the album and manually tagging them with an album rating?

Reply #101
It's something I used to do in customdb before that component made foobar totally unusable.

I still use it like that for artist and genre rating, plus a few other calculated fields related to genre and artist, but indeed customdb makes foobar2000 a lot slower and it's been abandoned by the developer since years (tip: version 9a is not as buggy as the latest one).

Anyway, I totally second your request, but it's not just about album rating (maybe this will answer @jazzthieve's question, too). Even though customdb's main purpose was saving tags without writing them into the files, I believe its real benefit is in providing them as calculated fields, that is fields whose value is not entered directly by the user, but derived by other fields. This enables the user to organize tags in one-to-many relationships and grant referential integrity to the metadatabase.
I detailed the matter here, when I first started using foobar2000, before I found out about customdb (which BTW is the main reason I decided to stick with foobar2000).

I've seen several attempts to replace customdb's external tagging functionality, but none really seems to care about calculated fields. On the other hand I've seen quite a few other components that provide apparently calculated fields for specific purposes, such as the playcount fields as provided by the official playcount component or by Jscript and Spider Monkey panels.
I'm not sure why nobody ever attempted to replace such a unique and useful plug-in as customdb, but I got the idea that most people see customdb as an external tags component, whereas concentrating on the calculated fields only, would be pretty simple, as this seems to be already implemented in the components I mentioned above, despite not being customizable by the user. But I'm no developer, so this is just a guess.
I'm late

Reply #102
I still use it like that for artist and genre rating, plus a few other calculated fields related to genre and artist, but indeed customdb makes foobar2000 a lot slower and it's been abandoned by the developer since years (tip: version 9a is not as buggy as the latest one).
One of the big problems was the sluggishness customdb caused. It also kept crashing album list panel in later versions of columns when appending the rating to the album tree. I might try 9a in a portable test version this weekend though. That component is too useful for storing information.

What is stopping you from selecting all tracks of the album and manually tagging them with an album rating?
Nothing. I prefer not to do that for various reason some of which @davideleo stated.

Secondly, I don't use foobar as a player as much as I use it as a means to keep track of information e.g. artist bio, album review, play counts, track ratings, etc. It's more of a listening companion with bells and whistles to me. I used to keep album notes in custom database. Just basic thoughts on the album or the album's mood, or similar artists. While foobar is always running when I'm in Windows, I do most of my listening through a raspberry pi w/DAC hooked up to my stereo that runs mpd. I only play through foobar for when I feel like wearing headphones. My music drive is on a file server that shares out to multiple devices and services: laptop, raspberry pi, ampache, which is like a self-hosted spotify, file server's mpd for streaming to icecast....

And blah blah blah... the point is the less I'm changing the actual music files themselves, the better off I'm going to be in the long run.

And finally, I just hate superfluous tags. I find them annoying. You don't need a bunch of nonessential information in the metadata. That's what databases are for.

EDIT: I've also considered mtags but I found it just leaves too much junk for my liking. Nothing against the component. It's just a personal preference on how I like to keep my music library.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019