Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9 (Read 276511 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #300
bug

when i have a playlist that shows the playlise file size eg 1.6gb and i slowly start removing files and i get to 1.1gb and removed one more file so you would asume it would go to something like 1.09gb but instead it shows 1.9gb all the way down to 1gb... i can do this reliably, it comes in to play quite a bit cause i try and make playlists for my ipod and keep overshooting, so i need to keep trimming the list until i get it right.. but when i remove 900mb and all of a sudden the playlist says its 1.9gb again its really strange...

im an guessing its just a formatting issue or something?

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #301
I find the following usability issues with the new beta which in my view need revision

F3 or CTRL + F only instigates search if a playlist has focus. It will not work if another ui element has focus. This seriously compromises the utility of the search function.

Search text box crashes if backspace is used. (beta 3 - unconfirmed on beta 5)

Keyboard arrows no longer work position slider. (I am aware of the present policy on keyboard shortcuts but this one seems unnecessary and very limiting)

Position and volume sliders are large and ugly.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #302
2• the search box could be available as an UI Element, displaying/updating the results in a Playlist.

Having the search box as Ui Element (Toolbar like old foo_playlist_find for 0.8) would indeed be nice: founded tracks are highlighted and you can navigate through them by up and down arrow keys.
An own playlist for displaying results is a little bit too much. Once the quicksearch plugin is ported you will have that feature anyway.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #303

i don't like the new equalizer, there's no numbers for the level, can't u add them like in the old version?

That's because they don't want you to know how many dB's you in- or decrease an eq-band 
But that doesn't matter actually... it's always those gigantic 1 dB-steps... a very special feature for more or less deaf people, courtesy of foobar 

it must be a forget, they'll add it in next version 

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #304
I was just curious about if it's on purposse that fb2k needs to be maximized and closed two times after eachother before the maximized window state is remembered/retained ? Just currious, since i know that it wasen't behaving this way in v0.9.4.5.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #305
Where can I find COPY options in Foobar 0.9.5 ? I meen Copy text, not files ...

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #306
I was just curious about if it's on purposse that fb2k needs to be maximized and closed two times after eachother before the maximized window state is remembered/retained ? Just currious, since i know that it wasen't behaving this way in v0.9.4.5.

All of the 0.9.5 betas seem to forget their window positions on both of my computers as well. I have to resize and move the window every time I restart foobar.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #307
Where can I find COPY options in Foobar 0.9.5 ? I meen Copy text, not files ...

They have been moved to the Advanced prefernces. You can find them at Preferences -> Advanced -> Display -> Legacy title formatting settings.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #309
This bug's been around for awhile:

I have foobar semi-transparent on a second monitor.  After right clicking folders/files in an explorer window and playing or adding to the queue with explorer's context menu, foobar becomes opaque even though it doesn't receive focus and I have to give focus to foobar and then click off it for the transparency to return.

vista and 0.9.5 beta 5

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #310

i don't like the new equalizer, there's no numbers for the level, can't u add them like in the old version?

That's because they don't want you to know how many dB's you in- or decrease an eq-band 
But that doesn't matter actually... it's always those gigantic 1 dB-steps... a very special feature for more or less deaf people, courtesy of foobar 

Pick a frequency band. Pick a source sample. I bet you can't ABX the equalized version from the source with a 1dB difference in any given frequency band. +1dB on all frequencies is hard enough to ABX. Yeah, 1dB is a reasonably significant change. Still, it's sufficiently small for the application. You don't seriously need sub-decibel equalizer resolution, do you? For what purpose?

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #311
Is it just me, or did anyone else think that Wavpack decoding speed has dropped dramtically?

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #312
In foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 6 mpc files decoding speed is less than in beta 5 (I use decoding speed test plugin - foo_benchmark)???

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #313
Looks like importing project files from MSVC8 to MSVC9 disabled speed optimizations on some of decoders. The issue will be addressed in the next beta.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #314
Issues fixed in beta 6
    * Usability: Single-keystroke keyboard shortcut mappings taking priority over typing into editboxes.

Thank you, this so much made my day. I'm glad this annoying issue has been taken care of.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #315
Issues fixed in beta 6
    * Usability: Single-keystroke keyboard shortcut mappings taking priority over typing into editboxes.

Thank you, this so much made my day. I'm glad this annoying issue has been taken care of.
Note that the workaround for single-keystroke keyboard shortcuts stealing input from editboxes in beta 6 is partial/incomplete, it will be fixed properly in beta 7; at the moment, keys such as plus/minus signs (mapped to volume control by default in older versions of foobar2000) still can't be typed if they're assigned.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #316
After this is properly fixed, please return default key-mappings of pre-0.9.5 foobar2000 versions. Thank you!
stimulating the audio nerve directly

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #317
Using pre-0.9.5 style default keyboard mappings is a bad idea, they clash with Album List navigation (auto-search by typing item name) as well as with auto-search in playlist that will be implemented in one of upcoming releases. You can re-add them manually without ruining any important functionality now, but that doesn't mean they don't break anything.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #318
# Usability: Single-keystroke keyboard shortcut mappings taking priority over typing into editboxes.
Thank you, Peter!!  For me, this is the single most useful (immediately visible) fix since beta 1.  Playlist search was unusable if there were any single key shortcuts, even when using Columns UI.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #319
Show my respect to Foobar2000 community.
I like foobar2000 like I luv 2pac.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #320
 What a nice surprise !!! So I was looking around for some automation around album art, and what do I find: a nice new beta, allowing to configure it graphically much quicker than before.

Thx guys, way to go.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #321
The beta version is awesome! I am officially wiping Winamp from my system and using foobar2000 exclusively. There are a few things I noted, though, that I think would improve usability and make the program more polished. I hope some of them will make it to the final version.

PREFERENCES
- BUG: In "Context Menu" (under Display), window does not scroll up when dragging items to the top edge
- option to send/add Album List and Playlist items to a Default list by double-clicking or clicking using middle button (similar to the "Always send to playlist: Default" option in General)

LIBRARY
- option to exclude subfolders from scans

PLAYLIST VIEW
- show stop symbol in "Playing" column when playback stops so we can tell which song was just played and which song is next. Currently, if you don't have the current song selected, there is no way to tell what the current position is on the playlist when it's stopped. This is particularly problematic when using the "stop after current" option
- show queue order in "Playing" column
- mouse shortcut for queueing songs (middle button or alt-click)
- always highlight current position even when another song is selected
- "clear search" button for Playlist Search
- toolbar buttons for clearing and removing playlists (useful when using switcher instead of tabs, which can be removed by middle-clicking)
- it would be very useful for the "Show Now Playing" command to select the current position even when playback is stopped

LAYOUT
- command to save/export current layout
- ability to undo layout changes
- option to make some layout and toolbar elements fixed size instead of relative size

PLAYLIST MANAGER
- preferences for playlist manager similar to those for album list (i.e., double-click and middle-click action, start playback when sending selection to playlist)
- something to visually distinguish autoplaylists from normal playlists
- column for autoplaylist search query and ability to edit query
- a playlist manager view element that displays the contents of a playlist selected in the manager (separate from the main playlist view, which would show the active playlist). This way, I can preview a playlist before activating it or add only a selection of songs from it to my current playlist

PLAYLIST SWITCHER
- something to visually distinguish autoplaylists from normal playlists

ALBUM LIST
- "clear search" button for search filter, please!
- syntax to allow for pre-expanded categories
- transparent or grey corners for the expand/minimize (+/-) signs would make colour themes a lot more attractive

OTHER
BUG: status bar sometimes cuts off text even though there is more room
- Pressing 'Esc' on keyboard when dragging seekbar slider should cancel seeking and return slider to current position without interrupting playback
- ability to display total playlist duration on status bar
- volume slider tool tip should be displayed above the slider instead of below it where it is blocked by the mouse cursor
- playback history component

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #322
I use foobar for about 2 years, but i'm confused about the pros and the cons between the new Winamp 5.5 and the new Foobar. For me, Foobar had the best layout with UI panels. To be more specific:

Current playlist is not good at all compared to the old (UI panels) had. The ability to have the cover art inside playlist and the name of the artist and album in different lines (the one above the other, sorted by album etc..) was something unique and veeery practical. Its very important to be able to see all the info at once. When we have the artist and the album info in the same line, it's not so well organised. What happens if names are long? The line could be "endless" and hard to read.
Also the current album list element is not so good as the previous album list panel and album art should be able to read info from folders too.
Personally i will keep the previous foobar2000 and hope that the new one will have the basic features that we had with panels UI. How can you compare the usability of panels UI playlist with current one? IMO the new playlist its not good and needs improvement.
      Why devs didn't make default UI as panels UI? Ok, some things should have to be out to make it more stable and easy to use, but it would be faaar better..
Anyway, thank you for your efforts Foobar devs, you made a very special and unique player and i hope that you will keep it like this.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #323
Nothing prevents you from using Panels UI (people still do that, for some unknown likely-masochistic reason) with the new version, regardless of changes to the Default UI.

Why didn't foobar developers make something like Panels UI? You can answer that yourself - Just think of what foobar development has concentrated on so far, and what Winamp and other 3rd party devs worked on. Do remember in an application like foobar, Functionality should come before looks - Or at least, That's how i understand foobar.

foobar2000 0.9.5 beta 9

Reply #324
Why devs didn't make default UI as panels UI? Ok, some things should have to be out to make it more stable and easy to use, but it would be faaar better..
Anyway, thank you for your efforts Foobar devs, you made a very special and unique player and i hope that you will keep it like this.
As you've stated PanelsUI is very hard to use.
Let me give you an example:
The K-Meleon browser is extremely customizable. With it's macro language, you can do anything you want interface wise. But you probably have never heard of it, because it can be extremely frustrating to use. Instead, you might use Firefox or Opera, because they're much easier to use and customize, even if their not as powerful.

Simplicity and good UI design make extreme customization obsolete and unnecessary.
elevatorladylevitateme