Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [v0.8.3] foobar taking too long to start (Read 2225 times) previous topic - next topic

[v0.8.3] foobar taking too long to start

I am using foobar2k 0.8.3. The main reason for me to not upgrade has always been the dsp_continuator which I love and causes me no problems in this version (I never crash). (I will be looking to research continuator to see if any advances have been made 0 but that's not the reason for this post.

I have a medium size music collection of about 60K songs and foorbar takes a considerably long time to start. I originally thought it was a network issue and moved the music to the system running foorbar, but the change in start time is negligible. When I say slow, I am talking into the 100+ seconds.

Have people experienced this as a problem with:

1) large collections
2) old version (as I say 0.8.3)
3) networking issues (which I believe i have discounted by moving files locally)
4) other plugins: Active; Continuator and Volume Control

For other plug ins, I do have a few installed, and because it has been so long since I have configured foobar2k I am not too sure what is safe to delete and what is not. Are large number of components a cause for slow starts? These are what I have available but not active:
  • Advanced Limiter
  • Convert 5.1 to Stereo
  • Convert mono to stereo
  • Convert Stereo to 4 channels
  • Convolver
  • Crossfader
  • Crossfeed
  • Downmix channels to mono
  • Dynamics Compressor
  • Equalizer
  • Gap Killer
  • Move stereo to rear channels
  • Pause between tracks
  • Resampler (PPHS)
  • Resampler (SSRC)
  • Reverb
  • Reverse stereo channels
  • Simple surround
  • skip silence
  • Soft clipping limiter
  • Sound Touch

Should I remove those I don't use anymore? I am not sure about dependencies and it's been a while since I configured fb2k

Is it a database issue and what can be done to improve it if it is?

Any assistance would be good

Reply #1
I have suffered from slow startups in two cases: a) complicated/many autoplaylist queries (cpu intensive), b) something that was dependent on the typical windows LAN networking timeouts (not cpu intensive)
Is fb2k eating cpu at startup or not? If not, it should be typically some kind of networking thing...

Reply #2
Is fb2k eating cpu at startup or not?

Yeah, foobar2k is at 95+% for the whole minute and a half plus, until it comes up full screen