Skip to main content
Topic: Controlling Foobar with a normal IR remote controller (Read 4603 times) previous topic - next topic

Controlling Foobar with a normal IR remote controller

A few days ago a friend of mine said that she'd give anything for a winamp remote controller. That gave me an idea.

I knew that there's a way to control foobar via Bluetooth but is there a way to do that with a normal IR controller? I have one remote controller for a MiniDisc player which i haven't used for a long time and it would really handy if i could just for example pause foobar with it.
I think I'll need something like IrAssistant to do this, am I right? And some IR receiver.

Has anyone tried this before? It'd be so cool...

Reply #1
You can use LIRC or WinLIRC for that. This is a very powerful programm, but you'll need some time until it's working.
Otherwise (if you are using Windows) you can buy a Media Center Remote Control or something like that. These remotes are pretty cheap so that could be a handy alternative.
Hope that helps

Edit: The Media Center Remotes work with other operating systems, but it could be possible, that you can't assign all buttons.

Reply #2
So all I need to buy is IR receiver? I found some sites that describe how to make a IR receiver by myself but I think I'm more into buying one...

Reply #4
I have always wanted a remote control for my PC and I had been looking into getting an IR one for a while.  I even considered getting a creative soundcard that comes with a remote.  However I bought a new phone recently with bluetooth.  Its awesome.  My remote control not only controls my foobar but it tells me what song is playing.

Reply #5
... or you can use the amazing joystick remote control, that I am using myself ... cheap and easy solution!

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=50110
for more info.

Yes, I've read whole topic. I took a quick look into prices and it seems cheapest gamepads cost ~5€ and joysticks ~10€. But what do I do with a joystick if I don't have any game to play with it, just control foobar? One problem might be the cord ~2,5 metres seems too small and I'd have to keep it on the floor which might cause probles when stepping on it many times.

I'll have to give it a try anyway. And next time I byu a new cell phone (the one I'm using is now 6 years old) it must have BT.

Reply #7
My Ati Remote Wonder works very nice with a simple Foobar plugin from: http://remotew.free.fr/plugins.htm#foobar

Cheap, intuitive and simple. All you need really. And offcourse the site also offers plugins for all other players as well.

Reply #8
I'm controlling with a serial IR receiver I build, it was really easy...
Then using girder, it can receice signal from any remote and then assign it to an action : volume change, keybord shortcuts, pretty nice...
Just look on the internet for home made serial IR receiver, for mine the parts cost around 7 dollars.

Reply #9
I'm controlling with a serial IR receiver I build, it was really easy...
Then using girder, it can receice signal from any remote and then assign it to an action : volume change, keybord shortcuts, pretty nice...
Just look on the internet for home made serial IR receiver, for mine the parts cost around 7 dollars.

Me too! Very powerfull program with many plugins. Embedded LUA scripting. I use it with an old aiwa CD remote which has buttons suitable for players.
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #10
Yup, same here. I use www.ir2pc.com and last free girder. I think it's 3.29b. The IR itself isn't too important, because girder learns the signals. I use the one from my old Philips CD player.
Girder 4 is bloaty and way too expensive imo.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018