Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging MP4 AAc files etc. (Read 11227 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging MP4 AAc files etc.

Reply #25
The most awesome feature is that if I rip an AAC file of an MP3 I already have, it asks me if I want to copy all the tags over, including the album covers, it's such an amazing time saver.

Transcoding!  And Apple is making it even easier.  Its almost like they are promoting it or something.  And it isn't like the iPods don't support MP3s.  Whatever.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #27
 I think you have to grow your hair long to work at Apple

Reply #28
mmortal, i think ggrrr's point was that if you rip aac from CD, apple checks if you already have an mp3 of the songs, and then asks if you want to replace the mp3, thereby transferring all data associated with your mp3s -- including stuff like ratings and playcount -- straight into the new aacs. and it moves the mp3s to the trash (read: "recycle bin") for you. it is like the replacement of a soap opera actor -- the aac "steps in" for the mp3, history and all. very slick, imo. and NOT transcoding.

Reply #29
mmortal, i think ggrrr's point was that if you rip aac from CD, apple checks if you already have an mp3 of the songs, and then asks if you want to replace the mp3, thereby transferring all data associated with your mp3s -- including stuff like ratings and playcount -- straight into the new aacs. and it moves the mp3s to the trash (read: "recycle bin") for you. it is like the replacement of a soap opera actor -- the aac "steps in" for the mp3, history and all. very slick, imo. and NOT transcoding.

Cool stuff.  I misinterpreted, sorry about that!
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #30
Thanks for clearing that up for me Brett. No problem mmortal, I wasn't very clear in my original post, and I fully understand the fear of all these TRANScoded instead of ENcoded AAC files popping up everywhere, although maybe it's some elaborate plot by the record companies to dilute the quality of illegally available music .

Honestly though, that feature alone is one of the big reasons I'm sticking with iTunes. I spend a LOT of time properly tagging my mp3s (AACs, whatever) so that the smart playlists have some good stuff to work with, such as adding the tones and styles info from AllMusic.com and cover art and stuff, so it's amazing that I can do this. It doesn't take that long to rerip a CD to a new format if I feel like it later.

Reply #31
There is a menu choice in iTunes4 that is "Convert to AAC."  Transcoding made easy!  They really should have a popup warning when you try that from an MP3 file.

Reply #32
This is very helpful description of the process, now I really understand what you guys are talking about, since I don't own a Mac

http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.ph...?id=496_0_8_0_M

Edit:  Nor an iPod, lol, but I might get one in a month or two with my graduation money.