Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mastering for MP3? (Read 6238 times) previous topic - next topic

Mastering for MP3?

Is there any way to improve quality of MP3 encoding by mastering the material differently compared to regular CD mastering? I know some folks at another forum discussing this in a bit but never got any deeper than just "hire a mastering engineer and let him do it for you" phase, so does anyone know about MP3 (and to lesser extent, other lossy formats) mastering at all?

No I'm not an expert or anything. I'm just a curious hobbyist composer/musician, that's all.

Mastering for MP3?

Reply #1
A good mastered CD will sound better than a poorly mastered CD in any format and bit rate you choose to encode them.

Mastering for MP3?

Reply #2
This sounds a bit like mixing up "means" and "purpose". Any change to the audiodata to make it more transparent, is the job of a psychoacoustic model - thus, if there are ways, then its the job of the encoder, not the mastering-engineer. If you need changes in the mastering process to achieve that, then you are dealing with a flawed encoder. In that case, fix the encoder instead of fighting the symptoms.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Mastering for MP3?

Reply #3
Well one well known and respected mastering engineer said that he can do mastering specifically for internet distribution (I'm sure he meant iTunes or any other online shops) and I'm curious as to why he said such things.

Oh and another thing, what about low-bandwidth streaming? I'm talking about super low bandwidth like ABR 56 or lower using MP3, is there anything that an engineer can do to improve compressability of the music (i.e makes it less annoying)?

Mastering for MP3?

Reply #4
Oh and another thing, what about low-bandwidth streaming? I'm talking about super low bandwidth like ABR 56 or lower using MP3, is there anything that an engineer can do to improve compressability of the music (i.e makes it less annoying)?

Compressing music is the job of the compressor, not of the mastering engineer. At VERY low bandwidths however (64kbit and below) it may make sense to aggressively compress the dynamics of the music, because at such low bitrates, low-volume sounds may get lost in compression artifacts anyways. But since most music is already dynamically overcompressed over the point of clipping anyways, there is as well no need to do that.

So, the short version is: unless your music is very dynamic (i.e. a classical concert recording) AND you want to encode at 64kbit or below, there is absolutely no need to do anything to the music.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.