Skip to main content
Topic: Feature request: change double click action in Columns Playlist (Read 4001 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature request: change double click action in Columns Playlist

I'm also looking for a possibility to associate doubleclick in columns_playlist to send the clicked track to a default playlist. It is possible to associate a doubleclick action to anything in Single Column Playlist. Unfortunately if I associate it to send files to a playlist, it doesn't work. It is not possible to choose to which playlist the track should be sent.

Basically I would like to emulate behaviour of Winamp. It has a media library and I can set it to send any double clicked item to playlist (Winamp has always only one active playlist). I would like to have the media library built from Browser and Columns Playlist and send the tracks to a Single Column Playlist. But even if it would be possible to associate doubleclick action in Columns Playlist, I see following problems:

1) How can I select which playlist will be displayed by CP and which one will be displayed by SCP?
2) fb2k would be probably confused from which playlist component it should play.
3) Is it even possible to have 2 playlist components active?

Reply #1
You won't need this. If you change the doubleclick action, you would not be able to doubleclick a track to make it play.

Instead you should consider upgrading to PanelsUI (which includes SCPL) that has a Library filter, that could probably be setup to match your request.

Edit: The only "problem" is that you have to rightclick to send filter results to a playlist, but shortly the custom doubleclick command should be implemented.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #2
I'm currently using Panels UI and I also tried Library Filter. But this is something different from what I'd like to do. Please have a look a this Winamp screenshot:

At the bottom you can see something, that looks like browser panels + Columns Playlist. If I doubleclick an item in here, it moves to the playlist at the top right. This is what I want in fb2k.

Reply #3
As i remember this was discussed several times and i just can repeat what i said: That behaviour would break foobars concept of multiple playlists and you will loose that exiting feature. The playlist in Winamp you see at bottom doesn't exist in foobar. If Winamp would be like foobar you would have multiple playlists in the playlist editor (the playlist at top): A highly desired feature (known from WA3) in the Winamp community!!

I know that annoying effect of overwriting the plaing playlist when using a media library component with autosend/browser/library playlist but the easiest way to solve that in my eyes would be just a little plugin that renames the playing playlist using titleformating. In the moment such a playlist is renamed it looses it attribute as autosend playlist: maybe a feautere for ColumnUI itself.

Reply #4
I know it has been discussed. It was me, who posted the request already before. My post was originally a reply to this thread. As you can see, I'm not the only one, who likes the "Winamp behavior" better.

I will show you what I would like to have and why. My current fb2k config looks like this:

As you can see, I have 4 Browser panels. Double clicking any item in the browser sends the track(s) to the active playlist. So it already quite works the way I want it. I would just like to place the 4th browser window (which contains actual tracks) below the other 3 a make it look like Columns Playlist.

As you can see, I have a good use for multiple playlist and it doesn't conflict with my feature request. Without the config I have, it is very difficult to make a playlist with selection of songs from different artists and albums. There is no Drag&Drop support in CP, so it is very difficult to move tracks to a certain playlist.

So in fact I want CP not to be a playlist, but I'd like to make it a Browser/Playlist Tree output viewer.

Reply #5
I know it has been discussed. It was me, who posted the request already before. My post was originally a reply to this thread. As you can see, I'm not the only one, who likes the "Winamp behavior" better.

I will show you what I would like to have and why. My current fb2k config looks like this:

As you can see, I have 4 Browser panels. Double clicking any item in the browser sends the track(s) to the active playlist. So it already quite works the way I want it. I would just like to place the 4th browser window (which contains actual tracks) below the other 3 a make it look like Columns Playlist.

As you can see, I have a good use for multiple playlist and it doesn't conflict with my feature request. Without the config I have, it is very difficult to make a playlist with selection of songs from different artists and albums. There is no Drag&Drop support in CP, so it is very difficult to move tracks to a certain playlist.

So in fact I want CP not to be a playlist, but I'd like to make it a Browser/Playlist Tree output viewer.

I understand your request, but if you want it to work efficient, you need to be able to choose the default doubleclick behavior based on a specific playlist! I don't see any practical use for this. If I want to transfer files from one playlist to another I always use right-click.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #6

You are right, exactly that browser/PT/Album List viewer doesn't exist in foobar and such a viewer might be useful. But i think that changing the doubleclick behaviour wouldn't offer you such a viewer - a better solution would be a feature that was offered by Playlist Tree 1.7 in foobar 0.8: the good old "browser playlist" wich was splitted from PT when it was ported to foobar 0.9.

The question is just: should such a viewer be implemnted by each media library component at its own or by one plugin?

Perhaps you like to ask musicmusic if he consider to create such a viewer as part of ColumnsUi
Edit: I have asked musicmusic for that

Reply #7

Hello!

Exactly what I'm searching for:
Can you post what plugins you are using and how they are configured to get such a behaviour.

Thnx.

Wiesl

Reply #8
Wiesl
The config is based on Panels UI. The 4 windows with genre/artist/album/track selection are Browser panels. The option to send files on doubleclick to active playlist is in it's configuration. It is so far the closest I could get to my ideal design.

I just posted the configuration here.

Reply #9
I was also interested what will happen if I create 2 playlist viewers which will be shown at the same time. The result is, that they both work simultaneously. So selecting song in one of them also selects it in the other one.

So even adding the functionality to allow user-defined doubleclick action to CP won't help me to create my ideal configuration. I need CP not to be playlist at all. My next wishes would probably be addind Drag & Drop support between panels (if it is possible) and adding possibility do change file's order by draging them in SCP (it works in CP).

My config would look like this then:

Only the bottom one should be a real playlist. Also I would then replace the "track" Browser panel with Playlist Tree.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020