Skip to main content
Topic: ALAC command line tag utility for linux? (Read 2972 times) previous topic - next topic

ALAC command line tag utility for linux?

I have a lot of songs encoded as ALAC on my linux server.  I want to convert them to MP3 (just copies, keep the originals).  (If you must know, I have decided to rip what I can to FLAC from now on, but keep a parallel library of MP3s for the iPods, etc.  I have had a TERRIBLE time with ALAC on my iPod, and I am pissed off about it.  This way I can do whatever I want, and still have archived FLACs when I need them).

I have written a shell script that will scan my library and create a parallel library on disk:
  -MP3s are symbolically linked to the old library
  -FLAC files are converted to MP3, tags are preserved
  -ALAC are converted to MP3

However, I cannot find a command line utility to read the tags from the ALAC so I can then copy them to the new MP3s.

Any ideas?

Eventually I will convert all my ALACs to FLAC, but again, I need to hold on to the tags.  We're talking over 1000 CDs worth of music.

ALAC command line tag utility for linux?

Reply #1
However, I cannot find a command line utility to read the tags from the ALAC so I can then copy them to the new MP3s.

Any ideas?
MPEG4IP includes a handy little utility called mp4info which might do the trick.  I haven't tried it on ALAC files though. It works with ALAC files.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020