Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plagued by "inaudible sound" (Read 33006 times) previous topic - next topic

Plagued by "inaudible sound"

Reply #50
When I was a teenager I was an electronics geek and audiophile. I had access to such things
as audio oscillators. My stereo had the ancient ElectroVox horn tweeters. I tested my hearing
and could hear slightly above 23 kHz but not at all at 24 kHz. I'm quite sure that this was real
because the pitch corresponded correctly with the frequency.  This response lasted well
into my middle twenties but then slowly the upper limit decayed. Today I'm 62 and
while I can hear up to about 16 kHz , above 13.5 the response is so low that it is musically
meaningless: I can't hear the difference in music with or without a sharp 13 kHZ cutoff.
This has a big benefit for me in the number of pieces I can store on my iPod!

So I provide a tested example of somebody who could quite certainly hear 23 kHz.

Doug McDonald