Skip to main content
Topic: VC++ crashes when i try to compile WavPack (Read 6636 times) previous topic - next topic

VC++ crashes when i try to compile WavPack

currently, i'm using VC++ 2005(not going back to the MinGW madness for right now) and when i try to compile WavPack, it crashes. if i try to compile libwavpack, everything is file. it's something in wavpack(project entry) which is making it crash. i've tried deleting and checking out WavPack from SVN again to make sure that it's not some left-over file or something but nothing works.

Any idea why this is happening?

if needed, i can give the crashlog that it gives when i click "Debug"

Reply #1
im using VC++ 2005 express edition, didnt have crash when loading/configuring wavpack projects (revision 65).
VC++ 2003 toolkit + codeblocks can compile wavpack,
mingw gcc3xx/4xx too.

Reply #2
it crashes when compiling. when loading the project, everything is fine

Reply #3
Sorry you're having this trouble.

Which version of VC++ are you using? I am also using 2005 Express, so if you're using the standard version then the issue might be related to that, although it's weird that nobody else has seen this.

There is a problem with the configurations that I created in that I don't have VC++ create separate folders for each project when building. Perhaps this causes a problem that doesn't show up on the Express Edition, or maybe VC++ is using multiple cores/threads on your machine that causes problems because of this.

I am planning to fix those configurations soon, but I'm sort of swamped right at the moment. I'll also post on the wavpack-devel mailing list and see if anyone has seen this.

I suspect that the debug dump won't help (although you'll need that if you file a bug with MS...) 

David

Reply #4
don't know if this is it, but I've had problems with 2005 express crashing when building from project files converted from msvc6 .dsp files.  the converted project files were vastly more complicated than necessary.  project files I created from stratch have no problems.

Josh

Reply #5
currently, i'm using VC++ 2005(not going back to the MinGW madness for right now) and when i try to compile WavPack, it crashes. if i try to compile libwavpack, everything is file. it's something in wavpack(project entry) which is making it crash. i've tried deleting and checking out WavPack from SVN again to make sure that it's not some left-over file or something but nothing works.

Is it the Visual Studio GUI crashing or does the compiler give an Internal Compiler Error while compiling the code and the GUI survive?

The best plan would be for you to zip up the crashing project directory and post it somewhere so others can attempt to reproduce your crash with the same source and project files you are using.

Reply #6
the GUI crashes

Reply #7
It compiles fine here (VS2005), too. I guess it's either a corrupt file of your VC++ installation that causes the IDE to crash or a bug in VS Express itself. Did you update VC++ 2005 Express with the service pack?

Reply #8
yes i did. Microsoft Update wanted me to sooooo...

Reply #10
the GUI crashes

I have reorganized the VC projects so they're all in separate folders. This prevents the intermediate files from overwriting each other and hopefully will fix your build problems. If it doesn't, I can't really imagine what the problem might be... 

This arrangement is less confusing that the old one too because there's only one solution in the root folder that contains all the projects, and the output folders (debug and release) created in the root don't end up with all the intermediate files in them.

It's not in SVN yet, but I have put a copy of the trunk here.

David

Reply #11
it crashed again

Reply #12
it crashed again

Well, at this point I'm out of ideas. There must be something about your installation that isn't quite correct.

BTW, I assume you followed these instructions after installation, right? Not doing so shouldn't cause a crash, but it obviously won't work building wavpack.exe (but might still work building the library).

Reply #13
it builds libwavpack but not wavpack.exe

as for the instructions, i have followed them and it still crashes.

Reply #14
Although I hate to say things like this... how about cleanly re-installing VC Express? Have you tried it? What you describe really sounds like a corrupt file (of the VC installation I mean).

Reply #15
i think i'm just going to get rid of the IDE. I'll reinstall VC++ without the IDE and i'll use CodeBlocks to compile WavPack.

my other option is to use MinGW(which is something that i have a very difficult time with).

Reply #16
*bump*

just to let everyone know, i reinstalled VC++ and compiling worked fine. surprisingly, my compile was not very fast. according to timer.exe, my compile was only faster by a few miliseconds which wasn't really the case before. i might have to tweak the settings again.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020