Skip to main content

Notice

Please be aware that much of the software linked to or mentioned on this forum is niche and therefore infrequently downloaded. Lots of anti-virus scanners and so-called malware detectors like to flag infrequently downloaded software as bad until it is either downloaded enough times, or its developer actually bothers with getting each individual release allow listed by every single AV vendor. You can do many people a great favor when encountering such a "problem" example by submitting them to your AV vendor for examination. For almost everything on this forum, it is a false positive.
Topic: Plasma or CRT Tube? (Read 3099 times) previous topic - next topic

Plasma or CRT Tube?

I am trying to decide between a Plasma TV or a CRT tube TV. When I goto look at Plasma's at video stores, the signal being run through them is always not so good so I never see a good picture. So it's hard to compare. For standard definition, like regular DVD movies, which would give the best pic- a Plasma TV or a CRT Tube TV?
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Plasma or CRT Tube?

Reply #1
Plasma TVs are good for very big diagonals, 40" and above. Everything below, LCD (TFT) TVs are usually the better choice. First decide on the size, then you can narrow it down to some good models.

Plasma or CRT Tube?

Reply #2
For standard definition, like regular DVD movies, which would give the best pic- a Plasma TV or a CRT Tube TV?
We had to buy a tv for our family recently. It's becoming very hard to find a CRT tv here in France, the majority being lcd and plasma now.
I still prefer the color quality of a CRT over an LCD or Plasma tv and managed to find an end of series model.
Being an audio engineer, I asked a tv/film director with whom I've worked a lot for advice and he prefers CRT too. In his opinion lots of details they spend time on in the cutting room get lost on an LCD or plasma screen.
A lot of ppl choose plasma. I wonder if picture quality is on top of their priority list.

Plasma or CRT Tube?

Reply #3
all my movies are single definition movies, and after doing much research i have read that plasmas and lcd's can not reproduce sd as good crt's can so i am going to go with a crt.
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Plasma or CRT Tube?

Reply #4
all my movies are single definition movies, and after doing much research i have read that plasmas and lcd's can not reproduce sd as good crt's can so i am going to go with a crt.

CRTs become simply impractical above a certain size. They're huge and they weigh a ton. Sure, the color quality of a good CRT is the reference that Plasma and LCD have to reach. But a CRT also has a much less sharp picture, especially compared to an LCD TV, which makes it a catastrophy if you ever wanna watch HDTV in the future. Of course, if you can still live with a couple years of standard definition TV, then a CRT might be a cheap solution.

Plasma or CRT Tube?

Reply #5
Most LCD's have bad contrast due to using cold-cathode lighting.

Newer LCD's with LED-lighting should be far better, and possibly equal or better than CRT's.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021