Skip to main content
Topic: Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels OST mastering errors (Read 4939 times) previous topic - next topic

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels OST mastering errors

I own a copy of the Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels OST (27 track version wich includes many dialogue tracks). One thing has always bothered me about my rip, and that is especially on dialogue tracks, you can hear static twing pitch throughout the track. So I've fired up Audition and done some spectral views to prove what I was hearing (see bellow). Now, so I know it isn't just with my copy or rip, I know my previous 320kbps mp3 rip I had downloaded a while ago also had this. I'm just trying to figure out how this occured? I also noticed there were similar spectral views on straight music tracks also - less audiable due to the rest fo the sound.

http://loveme4iamjesus.net/images/public/m...lstsb/barry.jpg

http://loveme4iamjesus.net/images/public/m...cultrualist.jpg

http://loveme4iamjesus.net/images/public/m.../lstsb/shot.jpg

They are all examples of dialogue tracks with the frequency twing throughout.

http://loveme4iamjesus.net/images/public/m...lstsb/zorba.jpg

http://loveme4iamjesus.net/images/public/m...8withbullet.jpg

Are songs which show it also. Not ALL tracks have it, but these ones clearly do and it is easy to hear when playing back.

And just while I'm mentioning it, I've noticed a similar thing on the song Ain't Talking Bout Dub by Apollo440

http://loveme4iamjesus.net/images/public/m.../lstsb/a440.jpg

This all looks similar to what I've read regarding the first track Take A Bow by Muse off their latest album. Is this really such a widespread problem?

http://loveme4iamjesus.net/images/public/m.../lstsb/muse.jpg

Any comments? Thanx :-)

Reply #1
That's a tube.

Reply #4
I hate the TV whine. I've heard it on some albums before. Shame on them for having that!

Reply #5
Damn. I just read up on the other threads about this. I'm shocked. I'd have thought such obvious problems would have been fixed, avoided etc. And to be happening so much... Does the industry/artists not care about their product?

Reply #6
Either the recording engineers are too stupid to avoid video and audio lines running parallel over big distances, ore they are too lazy.
My only hope is that they will soon switch to HDMI displays, their stray radiation is well over the audible range.

Reply #7
Either the recording engineers are too stupid to avoid video and audio lines running parallel over big distances, ore they are too lazy.

I think it's more likely to be picked up by the microphones themselves, from CRTs somewhere in the sound recording area.

The recording engineers are using their ears, which presumably can't hear the problem. That's why it's on the CD.

You would think that someone would have recognised the issue, i.e. that older people can't hear this, while younger ones are intensly annoyed by it. It means that when the recording engineer is either older, or deaf, there should be a young listener (or just a spectrum analyser) around to check for this and prevent it. Unfortunately, this isn't done.

You can easily fix it yourself with a notch filter. Just do it carefully to make sure the cure isn't worse than the problem!

I suspect the reason it's not fixed at the mastering stage is that most mastering engineers can't hear it either. They might be bright/experienced enough to understand the problem, but are probably worried about messing around with part of the frequency range that they can't hear themselves.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #8
I have the album myself , ripped with eac and flac'ed, and listening to it now i can't detect this static twang pitch you hear. Maybe a reripping of your cd is needed

edit - oh you downloaded it, probably meaning its been transcoded several times and passed around between formats and reposted before you got it, guess you got tracks worth what you payed for them lol

Reply #9
I have the album myself , ripped with eac and flac'ed, and listening to it now i can't detect this static twang pitch you hear. Maybe a reripping of your cd is needed

edit - oh you downloaded it, probably meaning its been transcoded several times and passed around between formats and reposted before you got it, guess you got tracks worth what you payed for them lol

He indicated that he previously had a downloaded version that also had it. That was a comparison.

Reply #10
then why not do spectrals of the original cd in the first place? how can you question a mastering when you running analysis from a lossy transcode

Reply #11
I think it's more likely to be picked up by the microphones themselves, from CRTs somewhere in the sound recording area.

I really hope you are wrong here, IMO this would be really stupid 

But whatever the reason really is, a lot of recent recordings show this phenomenon which could easily be avoided.

Reply #12
then why not do spectrals of the original cd in the first place? how can you question a mastering when you running analysis from a lossy transcode

Are you serious? I took my spectrals from the FLAC rip I did myself off a retail CD I own. So, no, it isn't lossy, and it isn't a transcode. And since I used EAC, no C2, Secure mode, Test & Copy method with proper gape detection, etc, etc, etc, then what I did my test on is exactly the same as what is on the CD.

Like Madman2003 said, my comparison was to a MP3 I had downloaded in the past which I remember having the same frequency twing based on listening - I never did spectral's on those files and they are now long gone from my drives. I have also posted spectrals of other tracks which are related also from EAC ripped FLAC files.

Thus, your comments are null and void. Thank you.

Now, back to the topic:

I can't believe such a simple thing such as a TV is causing such problems - as in it is stupid, not that I don't believe it is the actual cause (I feel the need to point this out based on the start of this reply). I would have thought the band themselves would have listened back to this and noticed it, or the (presumably) hundreds of other people who listened to it before it was released. Surely someone would pickup on such things. Also, how can the industry be so ignorant of such a problem when so many normal people pick it up? Surely they would put it through rigerous screening before releasing? I guess not...

Reply #13
Keep in mind that most people (myself included) cannot hear this frequency. It does seem a bit odd that nobody with younger ears listened and noticed this before release, but it is certainly not impossible for it to have gone unheard by the experienced (and thus older) engineers etc. The real fault should lie with whoever laid out the recording studio, allowing this to have happened at all.

Reply #14
I could certainly hear the "TV line whistle" (as its called) when I was younger from across the room, and could hear it on recordings.

Now I would have to put my head near the back of a TV to hear it, and only know of one recording where it's just audible to me (though you can see it in spectral view on many recordings).

I don't know why anyone should be surprised that this gets onto CDs. Do you think everyone in the audio industry is young with perfectly preserved hearing?! Do you think all listening is carried out on equipment capable of replaying 15kHz+ accurately?

This is the industry that gives us clipression. If a 15.625kHz whistle is the worst feature of a recording, filter it out and be glad!

(Though you could complain too!)

Cheers,
David.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020