Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio CD copyprotection from 1993?!?!?! (Read 3915 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio CD copyprotection from 1993?!?!?!

I've recently bought Marduk - Those Of The Unlight (which is an Osmose production from 1993!!) and put it into my CDROM drive... and the CD isn't recognized!
This effect is reproducable with every CD/DVD drive I have...
Looking at the CD a see one ring around the audio tracks...

Any idea how to break this copyprotection without damaging the CD?

Reply #1
It's definately just an unmarked rerelease, there was no such thing as an audio-cd copy protection in 1993.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']About breaking the copy protection, don't know...i never tried that because my Yamaha CRW-3200 reads anything correctly.[/span]

Reply #2
Normally you can rip it fine with EAC. Other way of work is to cover the outer shiny rim with a black marker. Then CD will be recognised as audio cd only.
No inspiration

Reply #3
My Toshiba SD-M1612 also reads many copyprotected CDs... but not this :/
It's as if I'm putting an empty CD-R into the drive

BTW: No programm I've tried under Win and Linux has found a CD in the drive...

And I've found a mark somewhere in the internet, that all Osmose productions after 2001 are copyprotected... 

I don't want to try the marker trick, because I maybe want to resell the CD in few years

Reply #4
I don't want to try the marker trick, because I maybe want to resell the CD in few years

An even less destructive method is to use tiny pieces of sticky Post-It paper and stick them just beyond the last audio track, about three pieces will do. This prevents the drive to 'see' the second (corrupt) session and only the audio tracks show up. I happen to have used this method very today to back up one of my CDs. Use a low speed setting (<4x) for ripping to prevent the paper piece to fly off in the drive.

Reply #5
Thanks... I'll try this tomorrow
Is it enough to cover the 2nd session partially?

Reply #6
An even less destructive method is to use tiny pieces of sticky Post-It paper and stick them just beyond the last audio track, about three pieces will do. This prevents the drive to 'see' the second (corrupt) session and only the audio tracks show up. I happen to have used this method very today to back up one of my CDs. Use a low speed setting (<4x) for ripping to prevent the paper piece to fly off in the drive.

I can confirm this too. I took a post-it note and placed it just beyond the last audio track.
Though I had to lower ripping speed to 4x or else I would get glitches in the wav file.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it"
- Oscar Wilde[/span]

Reply #7
Thanks... I'll try this tomorrow
Is it enough to cover the 2nd session partially?

Yes
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it"
- Oscar Wilde[/span]

Reply #8
There's a link to a thread exlaining how to rip protected audio CDs in the FAQ.
Thanks to it, I was able to copy a doc.loc protected CD that was not recognized in any drive of my uncle's computer. The trick was to use CloneCD (EAC failed to recognize the CD), but it was necessary to start CloneCD before inserting the CD, otherwise it wasn't recognized. Then I ripped an image, but the copy made from the image wasn't recognized in any player.
So I renamed the IMAGE.IMG image as IMAGE.RAW and opened it in GoldWave, and saved it as a wave file. Then I edited the cusheet, changing the filename, the BINARY statement into WAVE, and adding an INDEX 00 00:00:00 line for track one, and burned it with Nero.

Reply #9
which is an Osmose production from 1993!!

On Fat chuck
it says:
this label states "ALL OUR COMPACT DISCS ARE UNDER THE AUDIO PROTECTION SINCE FEBRUARY 2001.

I had the same with ABSU's tara.
I mailed osmose to complain and got a reply from sony austria that it was indeed copy-protected.
So I expect key2audio

I sent complaints to the band, osmose, the store and anyone who got in the way.
Finally I returned the cd to the store and traded it for Napalm Death. Yes because of the url and their previous album.

Reply #10
Remember that those discs can't legally carry the COMPACT disc audio logo. There is no such thing called "audio protection", what they do is place illegal data in the disc (violating the red book standard) and hope to make reading harder for cdroms while supposedly not affect cd audio players. Oh, too bad many current cdplayers actually use a cdrom drive...

This is exactly the same nonsense used by macrovision. Pollute the video signal and "hope" that standard VHS recorders will get crazy, oh, too bad this "pollution" will also affect your very expensive video projector... To call these measures "copy protection" is obscene at best.

These words may be well used for new formats, to say "SACD is copy protected" sounds a bit better, or maybe they should say "digitally copy protected" because nothing that can be heard or seen can be protected by any means of being copied. All you can do is try to degrade the quality or make the process slightly more expensive.

Too bad these measures will only make the technology used more expensive and more annoying to the users. While failing anyway at the intended purpose (a marketing ripoff to the artists maybe?).

A word of warning to those of you placing stickers: You must try to make the disc remain balanced. If you put a sticker somewhere, place another in the opposite part. When you make a backup, remember to make a backup of the backup and use that instead. Your first backup may be the only one to survive, so make sure you don't use a cheap brand CDR media on it. Don't count on the original for anything else, maybe hang it on the wall or something...
She is waiting in the air