Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Spanning bitrates... (Read 3361 times) previous topic - next topic

Spanning bitrates...

I'm not very familiar with the command lines in LAME (I'm using v3.97).  I've encoded alot of my music in VBR (-1) Setting using RaxorLame and EAC.  Well, I actually pull the command options off of RazorLame after using the GUI to set up my encoding settings and plug them into EAC.  I've noticed that in most of my music, only 160kbps-320kbps gets used.  Is there a way to utilize a broader range of bitrates without sacrificing quality?  In other words, instead of just lowering the quality setting to achieve a lower bitrate "slot", I want to re-rip my CD's, utilizing the bitrates more evenly and taking advantage of some of the lower bitrates (96kbps, 128kbps, etc) instead of being limited locked out 160kbps so I can free up some hard drive space.  Sorry if this post doesn't make alot of sense... I tried to explain it the best I could....plus I'm pretty tired... anyway, any bit of help would be great. Thanks.

P.S.-- this is NOT my first post... I have no idea why my post count only says 1.  Just so noone thinks I'm here to "hit n' run".

Spanning bitrates...

Reply #1
P.S.-- this is NOT my first post... I have no idea why my post count only says 1.  Just so noone thinks I'm here to "hit n' run".

Posts to off topic are not counted.

Spanning bitrates...

Reply #2
Unless Razorlame is doing something stupid like passing a minimum bitrate parameter to LAME, LAME should use whatever bitrates that it deems necessary.
Just use something like -V2 --vbr-new, if your target is about 192kbps average. You may want to try not using Razorlame to make sure it's not screwing something up.

Spanning bitrates...

Reply #3
Unless Razorlame is doing something stupid like passing a minimum bitrate parameter to LAME, LAME should use whatever bitrates that it deems necessary.
Just use something like -V2 --vbr-new, if your target is about 192kbps average. You may want to try not using Razorlame to make sure it's not screwing something up.

Sounds good..is there another reliable front-end I can use until I better learn the command line?