Skip to main content
Topic: Decode wma on Mac via command line (Read 3301 times) previous topic - next topic

Decode wma on Mac via command line

I've got a lot of WMA files (non-DRM'ed) that I'd like to convert to mp3 on my Mac, preferrably via the command line.

I can of course use lame to encode the files, so if I can just find a decoder for WMA? Anyone?

Reply #1
Not command line but if you install the free Flip4Mac component and this Lame component you can just open each file in turn with QuickTime Pro and then Export (command-E) straight to Lame. If you have Toast 7/8 but not QT Pro I'm pretty sure you can drop a bunch of WMA files in the Audio window and then then Export them to WAV/AIFF etc but Toast has no direct LAME option.

edit: You can automate this with qt_export from qt_tools. I couldn't work out how to get qt_export to use the LAME component so just sent the output to LAME separately but I'm sure it's possible (--exporter=PYEh ?)

Reply #2
Not command line but if you install the free Flip4Mac component and this Lame component you can just open each file in turn with QuickTime Pro and then Export (command-E) straight to Lame. If you have Toast 7/8 but not QT Pro I'm pretty sure you can drop a bunch of WMA files in the Audio window and then then Export them to WAV/AIFF etc but Toast has no direct LAME option.

edit: You can automate this with qt_export from qt_tools. I couldn't work out how to get qt_export to use the LAME component so just sent the output to LAME separately but I'm sure it's possible (--exporter=PYEh ?)

Thanks for the reply.
I have Toast, so at least that's an option, but not the most handy one :-)
I'll look into QT Tools. I haven't got QT Pro, so do you know if QT Tools will still allow me to export?

Edit: QT Tools does work without QT Pro

Reply #3
FFmpeg can decode WMA (and convert directly to LAME MP3). I don't use Macs but I'm pretty sure I've seen OS X builds of FFmpeg before.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020