Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC to LAME compression (Read 4257 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC to LAME compression

If I use LAME linked to EAC then everything works fine, but if I rip uncompressed and then use LAME afterwards the tagging information seems to get lost. (Sometimes I encode overnight)

Have I got some settings wrong? I haven't managed to find any tuturials that mention tagging when using LAME/RazorLAME at a later point.

Thanks

James

EAC to LAME compression

Reply #1
WAV files don't have tags, so there is nothing to base the ID3-tagging on. You can, however, tag by directory structure and file names.

EDIT: Perhaps RazorLAME (which is rather old) doesn't support this. You could try All2LAME or Frontah (My pick).

As far a I know Foobar doesn't support this, right?

EAC to LAME compression

Reply #2
As far a I know Foobar doesn't support this, right?
I'm not sure what you mean, but foobar supports tagging from filename/path, and you can tag from freedb also.  So, in conclusion, yes, it does (whatever it is you said).
I'm on a horse.

EAC to LAME compression

Reply #3
The subject was Tagging from Directory Structure and File Name, and you're of course right, Foobar sure does that. I erroneously had a quick look in "File operations", where it wasn't. It's of course in "Tagging". 

EAC to LAME compression

Reply #4
Another option would be to encode to a lossless format using EAC, then to transcode the resulting files to LAME overnight. Unlike WAV most modern lossless codecs like FLAC, WavPack or Monkey's Audio support tagging, allowing the subsequent encoder to simply pass the metadata on to the MP3s. I'd recommend using foobar2000 for the lossless to lossy transcoding process, it does its job really well.

Otherwise, if you had already ripped all your CDs to the WAV format, forget this step. Ripping the whole stuff once again would be an extremely annoying waste of time. In that case the tagging should be done following the ideas mentioned by abasher and Synthetic Soul.

EAC to LAME compression

Reply #5
The problem with tagging from filename is that you cannot use some characters in a filename, and therefore you will not always be able to tag accurately.

I'm not sure if you are talking about this in the first place, but it may be worth looking into the Compression Queue Control Center in EAC.  This is probably what you should be using.
I'm on a horse.

EAC to LAME compression

Reply #6
The problem with tagging from filename is that you cannot use some characters in a filename, and therefore you will not always be able to tag accurately.

I'm not sure if you are talking about this in the first place, but it may be worth looking into the Compression Queue Control Center in EAC.  This is probably what you should be using.

That is a nice (and new to me) solution. Do you know how EAC handles this, does it save a list on the hard drive? My concern is that it is all kept in memory and if EAC or the computer crashes after a full day of ripping, one will be quite a Sad Panda.

EAC to LAME compression

Reply #7
I don't think many people are aware of it.

Good question.  I've just done a little test and it appears the data is stored in ENCQUEUE.DAT in the EAC folder.  You can certainly close EAC, re-open it, and the queue is still intact.

LOL @ Sad Panda.
I'm on a horse.