Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I know if my drive is "CD-Text Read capable"? (Read 10349 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I know if my drive is "CD-Text Read capable"?

It's an EAC drive option, under the Offset / Speed tab. The mouse-over balloon in EAC indicates that the option has to be manually specified - that it cannot be reliably tested for by EAC. My drive is a Samsung SW-248F (hey, I'm just starting off    ), but it isn't so much the specific info, as much as how I can find out that info for my other (several different) drives.

TIA - Regards,
DaveB

Reply #1
I believe the reason that it is a manual setting is that some drives will claim to read it, but just return empty data.  The only real way to test is to find a CD with CD text and see if your drive reads it!

Reply #2
I believe the reason that it is a manual setting is that some drives will claim to read it, but just return empty data.  The only real way to test is to find a CD with CD text and see if your drive reads it!

Sheesh - you mean smething as simple as copying a plain old ASCII file to a CD and seeing if I can read it back?!?  How could that not work with any drive?!? Surely there's something more to it, or?

And thanks!
DaveB

Reply #3
No, CD-Text is not as simple as "a text file on a CD".

Reply #4
No, CD-Text is not as simple as "a text file on a CD".

Thanks. Which brings me back to my original post. [/i]How do I know an of my drives support CD-text? Is there a database out there? I cannot find one. A utility, perhaps? Some sort of easy test? I just don't yet know what I am even looking for, exactly.

Again, TIA

DaveB

Reply #5
HEY CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS DRIVE< can write cd-text, and read cd-text?
Plextor PlexWriter PX-230A/SW 3-in-1 Internal EIDE 52x32x52 CD-R/RW Drive

I currently have a phillips, that according to nero, can read cd-text but i can't write cd-text. Though if i actually copy a cd, it copys all the information. But home made tracks, say track 1, unless its mp3. Hope someone can check that for me, before i buy.

Reply #6
this could tell you if your drive can both read and write CD-Text -

[1]- Enable "EAC > Drive Options > Writer tab > Drive is able to write CD-Text".
Burn a CD with EAC from a cue sheet which contains the artist, album and track info.

[2]- With that disc loaded, first choose "Database > Clear actual CD information".
Then choose "Database > Get CD Information from > CD-Text".

If CD-Text was written, and the drive can read it, then the artist, album and track info will now be present in the main EAC window.

I don't know if it's a definitive test ... probably not ... all I know is that it has worked for all my RW drives.

Reply #7
I don't know if it's a definitive test ... probably not ... all I know is that it has worked for all my RW drives.

Of course it is

Reply #8
Well, the test can only prove that the drive can write and read cd-text. If at least one of them fails, the test won't give you a final answer
Better try to find a cd with cd-text as a reference.

Reply #9

I don't know if it's a definitive test ... probably not

Of course it is

I was thinking that a failed test might not be due to the drive being incapable of either reading or writing CD-Text. The possibility of things such as software bugs, etc.

Well, the test can only prove that the drive can write and read cd-text. If at least one of them fails, the test won't give you a final answer

Of course. I tried to be clear about that by emphasizing the word "both".

Better try to find a cd with cd-text as a reference.

But it's possible that my suggestion could yield a positive answer in just a few minutes. Without luck or any other suggestions, it could take much longer to locate a suitable CD. A brief Google search shows that Samsung's SW-248F claims support of CD-Text, and I believe my suggestion has a good chance of giving a successful validation. ...Or the first commercial CD you try might actually contain CD-Text. 

Reply #11
Commercial CDs with CD-Text aren't very common; in fact they are extremely rare, or at least they used to be.
Yesterday I received a new cd which I recorded and mastered and AFAIK the record company doesn't even know that cd-text was included in the master. On my MacBook EAC reads the cd-text, but iTunes doesn't. I've read somewhere that it should be possible. Does anyone know how to make iTunes read cd-text ? Would be nice to have the feature.

Reply #13
Nero Info Tool.

I don't find this to be a trustworthy program.  It just said that one of my drives doesn't support CD-Text that actually does.