Skip to main content
Topic: How do I eliminate all computer sounds except... (Read 3538 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I eliminate all computer sounds except...

Hey

I would like to eliminate all computer sounds except of the programs I'd speicifically like to hear, so this means not more "BEEP" or "pop-up!" noise while I am relaxing, listening to music with my monitor off and no intention of dealing with random computer crap.

Also if I am watching a movie, this would be great too

Thanks

EDIT: I am using Windows XP Pro SP2

Reply #1
You can turn off all Windows sounds in:

Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices ("Sounds" - Win98) - > Sound scheme: No sounds.

Other application software must also have an option to turn off its sound effects.

If you have WinXP and the beep that is being played when you adjust the Windows Mixer (Volume/Play Control) bothers you... Well, backup sndvol32.exe and replace it with the one from Windows 98. You'll have a little cosmetic defect on the input mixer (Recording Control).

Reply #2
You can turn off all Windows sounds in:

Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices (Multimedia - Win98) - > Sound scheme: No sounds.

Other application software must also have an option to turn off its sound effects.

If you have WinXP and the beep that is being played when you adjust the Windows Mixer (Volume/Play Control) bothers you... Well, backup sndvol32.exe and replace it with the one from Windows 98. You'll have a little cosmetic defect on the input mixer (Recording Control).

That sounds like it will disable ALL sounds.. I just want to make all sounds disabled EXCEPT an application of my choosing. Is there any program out there that will facilitate this for Win XP Pro?

Reply #3
That sounds like it will disable ALL sounds..

It will disable mesage beep, Windows startup tone, Empty Recycle Bin sound effect, etc. Are the Windows sounds of any value?

Anyway... If you are bothered by the sounds of ONE application and it doesn't provide an option to turn off SFX, you can try to overwrite its sound files with silent ones.

If your program which should have sound allows you to select audio hardware from a list, you can install a virtual sound card like Virtual Audio Cable (VAC), route its output to nothing and make this virtual sound card the default one. Then select your real audio hardware where you want to hear something.

Please explain your situation more.

Reply #4
That sounds like it will disable ALL sounds..

It will disable mesage beep, Windows startup tone, Empty Recycle Bin sound effect, etc. Are the Windows sounds of any value?

Anyway... If you are bothered by the sounds of ONE application and it doesn't provide an option to turn off SFX, you can try to overwrite its sound files with silent ones.

If your program which should have sound allows you to select audio hardware from a list, you can install a virtual sound card like Virtual Audio Cable (VAC), route its output to nothing and make this virtual sound card the default one. Then select your real audio hardware where you want to hear something.

Please explain your situation more.

No No, it should be all good. I misinterpreted your first reply, as I thought you gave me instructions to disable all sounds. I realize it is the windows sounds, so thanks for the tips!

Reply #5
Use Kernel Streaming or ASIO in your favourite player and mute the Wave output in the Windows Volume Control. Or simply go to the Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel and use the "No Sounds" theme.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #6

Simpler solution:

Under Device Manager, select View, Show Hidden Devices
Go to Non Plug And Play Drivers
Locate Beep, right-click, select disable

No more beeps when you adjust the volume and such.

Reply #7
If you get your hands on windows vista (sorry everyone, you have to wait till january...), then the mixer allows for individual control of each application. Say you have itunes and Steinberg Nuendo open at the same time. You are able to mute nuendo and listen to itunes, or lower the volume of either, etc.

Reply #8
The big question is why internet explorer does not have a mute button?

I am using the "no sounds" scheme, but that does not allow muting the sounds and music of stupid web designers.

I guess Vista will fix that.

regards
Knut

Reply #9
You can turn off audio playback (and possibly downloading) in most web browsers including M$IE. Go to Internet Options -> Advanced -> Multimedia -> Play sounds in web pages.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020