Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How about buttons? (Read 23542 times) previous topic - next topic

How about buttons?

Hey Peter. How about some buttons? Would be cool... something like this maybe? Optional of course

How about buttons?

Reply #1
what/is that an xp style?

anyway, i think they'd have to be more discrete, and a toolbar that can be moved/hidden/undicked etc. i think i position slider is more need, and the iterface should be more configurable. (show hide buttons if they come, choose what info goes on status bar etc.)

How about buttons?

Reply #2
I miss the seek bar. Very important for long pieces 

How about buttons?

Reply #3
Yeah it's Watercolor by Binary for Windows XP.

I also agree with the seekbar.

How about buttons?

Reply #4
Yeah it's Watercolor by Binary for Windows XP.

I also agree with the seekbar.

ok thanks.. found some other nice styles too!

Personally, I dont mind the lack of buttons, as I prefer to use the keyboard, but that's a bit more difficult for the seekbar.

How about buttons?

Reply #6
Yeah. I think the buttons and seekbar should be on one line at the bottom, above the info bar. (or maybe on the top, why not an option?)

I remember seing this exact configuration on some other program. AudioGrabber? EAC? KaZaA? CDex? Can't be bothered to remember now 

How about buttons?

Reply #7
I was thinking the seekbar could go discretely on the status bar.. kindof like EAC's except there it has the whole bar to itself.

How about buttons?

Reply #8
don't !! leave it as is !

How about buttons?

Reply #9
Why leave it as it is?.. a (at least optional) seekbar is a very essential thing. I don't think it falls under the category of useless bloat .

How about buttons?

Reply #10
it doesnt ? well for me the player looks perfectly fine the way it is now.  functionality of the seekbar is already done with the left and right keys 

How about buttons?

Reply #11
heres a new pic

How about buttons?

Reply #12
"functionality of the seekbar is already done with the left and right keys "

Forward & Rewind isnt exactly the same as seekbar..

About pic: Persoanlly, i keep my foobar a lot bigger than yours.. which is probably why I wanted the seekbar actually in the status bar. I think the options should go in prefs - as most the things in the menus are functions. And plus Im sure someone would want to configure it a bit - hide buttons, or even move seekbar as I would prefer it. Maybe even a whole button system where you can choose your own icons & functions, like the current keyboard system !

The only thing Id have to say about the buttons, is that they should fit in with the standard windows look a bit more - foobar's ui doesnt really have any design to it if you get what I mean.

Actually, I think if both these things where on toolbars like ie6/win xp, where you can move them around and "lock" them, it would be good - maybe you could put them all on the bottom sttatus bar!

How about buttons?

Reply #13
PhrostByte: Lucky, you must have a LCD monitor. That, or just bad eyes. At least, mine would be after staring at ClearType on a CRT for long periods of time.

How about buttons?

Reply #14
kraphen, I really like the direction you're going with the UI.  I prefer it over PhrostBytes because they're standard controls in reasonably sane places.  musicmusic has exactly the same ideas for enhancements that I do.  Er, except for the seekbar.  I keep my foobar window (when onscreen) about the same size as kraphen's.

My own observations:

The toolbar buttons are a tad small.  This makes them more difficult to hit compared to other programs.  Their design is otherwise fine. 

What other ideas do people have for making foobar more useable?  I'm not talking about pretty, I'm talking about useable.

How about buttons?

Reply #15
I'd implement something like this (with customizable buttons, optionally combined 'play/pause' button, seekbar (on top, bottom or in toolbar), volume bar) if peter will ever let me

How about buttons?

Reply #16
How about something like this.

How about buttons?

Reply #17
I REALLY like Balu's concept in the "appearance" thread here. If Foobar2000 looked like this, then I would surely switch from Winamp2 in a second.

http://www.photoshop.pl/foobar2000.jpg

How about buttons?

Reply #18
i just wonder if you ever saw the position bar as drawn in some pro studio cd players like studer machines? (of course it is not seekable, just a definition where the song is)

looks something like this (the moving thingy is solid, unlike in this illustration    and has the same height and width):

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']..........................||||............[/span]

edit: the point is of course being 'robust and to the point', so you can see with the blink of the eye when or if it is close to mix time.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

How about buttons?

Reply #19
blah... implementing this myself would most likely result in escalation of headache. but i at least feel motivated to make it possible for others to modify the UI code
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

How about buttons?

Reply #20
I am very much in favor of a seekbar since I often want to quickly check out unknown songs. It would have to be easy to grab with the mouse like smok3 suggested, similar to Winamp. That other slider is just too small and fidgety. It's not about improving looks, it's about improving usability. (Allthough I personally wouldn't mind a little bloat to have a nice looking, functional UI , but that's just me).

I am all in favor of separating the player and the UI, hoping that a set of interfaces is created ranging from minimalist to bloated which could satisfy everyone.

How about buttons?

Reply #21
Balu's concept looks nice (if a little low on the contrast), but I like something that actually uses standard widgets for once.

My own preference is for the toolbar to be on top, since that's where, well, all my other toolbars end up.  Having dockable, configurable rebar controls (e.g. Office 2k) would be hella cool.

How about buttons?

Reply #22
@neoufo51:
Very nice!
@PhrostByte:
Very useful! Nice XP theme.
Nice fake pictures... you are good!

@peter:
smok3's idea isn't bad. Maybe something like out_ds status in WA2?

How about buttons?

Reply #24
I've made a hack that actually adds toolbar to foobar  take it here
http://x-fixer.narod.ru/download/foo_butt.zip

graphics by kraphen

double-click to customize

Great! It's all we need

[edit]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't FF and REW have graphics like << and >> and NEXT >>| ??

Screenshot: