Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Software to remove vinyl popping/hissing (Read 4746 times) previous topic - next topic

Software to remove vinyl popping/hissing

I'm looking for some software to remove vinyl popping/hissing in an automated fassion, hopefully, within the price range of $300 .. Well, even, some software made to rip from vinyl and do processing on it .. anyone have some recommendations? Did a quick search and didn't find anything..

-r

Reply #2
Diamond Cut's DC-Art  Millennium.
Or Diamond Cut's DC Five.
Both under your $300 range.
They've been in the audio restoration business a long time.

Reply #3
Cool Edit 2000 (the lower cost version of CE Pro)  and the Noise reduction plugin..

If I remember,  base CE 2000 costs $80 USD,  and the various add ons are $50.
You get various tape hiss, noise reduction,  auto pop and crackle removing and
some fancy filtering with the one add on you want. 

CE Pro has ALL the plugin features,  and more,  and costs $250.  www.syntrillium.com

The auto noise remover is pretty well thought of at Clive's LP to CD Tips site:
http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm  and I've had good results with it.  He reviews
several programs there and covers their pro's and cons..

This site is a must read for those interested in processing their LP's.  I also use
his own piece of software, Wave Repair,  for getting down and dirty with manual
editing, though it has an auto remover as well...  Recommended, it has many features
designed only for this particular purpose and only costs $30

Reply #4
Cool Edit or Cool Edit Pro are good choices.

The Sonic Foundry Direct X NR-2 audio restoration plug-in is great too. I think it's better than the built-in functions of CEP, but others don't always agree.

D.

Reply #5
I use Sonic Foundry Sound Forge w/noise plugin - works reasonably well (I've used it on about 45 LPs).  Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are you will likely have to do some manual editing - especially between songs, and for pops that can't be detected automatically but can be heard.  So you may want to consider using an audio editing application.

Sonic Foundry
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #6
Try This; hope will be useful. Hola Chavi
An Interesting Approach to Decrackling
I recently came across a suggested method of decrackling that is definitely worth passing on. I take no credit for this method; I first saw it described on the AudioForums website by someone calling themselves "Younglove". Here is the original thread; I have no idea how long the AudioForums threads stay online.
The procedure briefly is this:
Get a noise fingerprint from the WAV file to be decrackled. In other words, find a section that contains only noise and light crackle, but no music.
Use the noise fingerprint to do a noise reduction over the whole file, but keeping just the noise (rather than the music minus the noise). You need to do a fairly brutal noise reduction (eg. 100% in CoolEdit). What you end up with is the noise, the light crackle, and a bit of the music.
Save the noise that's just been isolated, either in a file or a clipboard.
Run a declick operation over the noise. Be fairly aggressive, so as to find all the crackle. You now have the noise minus the crackle.
Mix-paste the noise that you saved in step 3 over the result of the declick, but invert the saved noise that you're pasting. This causes the noise to cancel out, leaving just the crackle, but inverted.
Now mix-paste that inverted crackle back into the original file. Because the crackle is inverted, it cancels the crackle in the original file.
It really does work rather well, but remember that it only works for background light crackle; it doesn't deal with big pops and clicks.
So how does this work? My view is that the reason decrackling is so hard to do is because the clicks that constitute the crackle are of low amplitude, and are easily lost within the surrounding music: this makes identifying them very difficult. Once you've isolated just the background noise & crackle, the click detection algorithms have a much easier task, so they find the genuine clicks more successfully.
Younglove described the process using CoolEdit, and it is certainly very straightforward using that package, but it is a very slow operation. (My own 350MHz AMD K6-2 CPU takes about 6 hours to decrackle one LP using this method, but at least it's possible to set up a script and leave it running unattended). In principle the technique will work with any packages that support the necessary steps. Since CoolEdit processes so slowly, you might find that using a combination of other, faster, packages might be quicker in the long run, even if you have to switch between different packages for the various stages. The quality of the noise reduction really isn't that important, and the declicking algorithms can be less sophisticated since their task is greatly eased.

Reply #7
Thanks for the recommendations

Reply #8
If you are minimalistic the functions provided by EAC's waveeditor could do the job already.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #9
for your price range, i recommend sonic foundry noise reduction 2.0

it is a set of high quality restoration tools that you can use from sound editors that supports direct-x (i.e. sound forge, cooledit, wavelab, samplitude, etc.)

another restoration tool that i highly recommend is waves restoration bundle. so ok its like 1200$, but it won't hurt to try it. the functionality of the demo version is not limited in any way, other than a 2 weeks timeout. after that you'll need to purchase a registeration #. so, try it out for 2 weeks, see how it works, and if you like it either buy it or try to restore your vinyls before the demo times out

waves restoration bundle: www.waves.com
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper