Skip to main content
Topic: iTunes Album Art (Read 13372 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes Album Art

When downloading album art from the iTunes Music Store, I believe iTunes stores -one- copy of the image in its database and has each song associated with that image reference it. Otherwise, adding already downloaded album art seems to actually put the image in every single track associated with that particular album. When embedding 600 x 600 JPEGs, this can increase filesize quite a bit. I saved myself over 2GB on my iPod after downloading all the album art for my music from the iTunes Store.

My question is: Does anyone know how to get (or fool) iTunes (in)to storing already downloaded album art into its database instead of adding it to each individual file?

iTunes Album Art

Reply #1
Same question here...
I have album art in each directory, in the form of a floder.jpg or other jpg.
When I drag the picture to the album art box, it gets added to the mp3 file ,  which i DO NOT want...

Anyone knows how to do it?  an automatic way would be awsome...

Thanx
Gonza

iTunes Album Art

Reply #2
I am also interested into finding this!

iTunes Album Art

Reply #3
Does anyone know how to get (or fool) iTunes (in)to storing already downloaded album art into its database instead of adding it to each individual file?

I'd be interested in the opposite: a tool that fetches iTunes music art and embeds it to the file just as if it were added manually.
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

iTunes Album Art

Reply #6
I'd be interested in the opposite: a tool that fetches iTunes music art and embeds it to the file just as if it were added manually.

Same here, I want my Artwork everywhere I carry music. Since iTunes 7 I went nuts after noticing all teh newly added music didn't actually have the Artwork but only in the iTunes Artwork database.

iTSfv has this feature to do what you/me want.

http://wmwiki.com/mcored/downloads/itsfv/?M=D

Have these two checkBoxes checked:

Copy Folder.jpg to Album folders
Add Artwork from Artwork.jpg

and push the Validate button.

From manual:

iTSfv will grab the artwork from iTunes tracks and save it as Folder.jpg in the album folder. This is useful for thumbnail view with Artwork under Windows XP. It will also save a copy of Folder.jpg as Artwork.jpg for backup purposes. WMP or other applications could actively replace the proper Folder.jpg so you can restore the Folder.jpg using the backup file Artwork.jpg.

Since iTunes 7 the Artwork is not saved directly to the file when you get Artwork via Artwork. So when you move your tracks to a new computer you will not see your artwork. iTSfv will look for the Artwork.jpg it has saved previously from Copy Folder.jpg to Album folders feature and add then directly to the tracks missing artwork.

Cheers,
McoreD

iTunes Album Art

Reply #7

I use this, http://www.yvg.com/itunesartimporter.shtml but it does add it to each file.
As for the rest of you, I can't help.

This tool fetches Amazon art, which is easily accessible through many web services. "CoverScout" mentioned later in this thread is the same way.

What we need is a tool that fetches the Apple managed art.
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past

iTunes Album Art

Reply #8

I use this, http://www.yvg.com/itunesartimporter.shtml but it does add it to each file.

This tool fetches Amazon art, which is easily accessible through many web services. "CoverScout" mentioned later in this thread is the same way.

You mean like iTunes?

iTunes Album Art

Reply #9
You mean like iTunes?

I was referring to a way to browse the Apple database instead of iTunes just blindly picking an image.

Dear Apple:
My Bjork Homogenic is not the Live version. Likewise my Bob Marley CD is not "deluxe" and my Public Enemy CD is titled Fear of  Black Planet, not some goofy 20th anniversary compilation.
Love,
Involuntary Amazon.com Image Leecher
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past

iTunes Album Art

Reply #10
ok, I found a tool that does exactly what I want, but it is for mac only:

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/...page=1#embedart

so, a PC app would be nice

Does anyone know how to get (or fool) iTunes (in)to storing already downloaded album art into its database instead of adding it to each individual file?

Cover Scout

Regards

it's for mac only

Same here, I want my Artwork everywhere I carry music. Since iTunes 7 I went nuts after noticing all teh newly added music didn't actually have the Artwork but only in the iTunes Artwork database.

iTSfv has this feature to do what you/me want.

http://wmwiki.com/mcored/downloads/itsfv/?M=D

Have these two checkBoxes checked:

and push the Validate button.

sounds promising. so, the program is able to export album art even if the album art is linked to iTunes's database? I don't have an iTunes account yet and would only sign up so I can get the album art.
Maybe someone could send me some iTunes XML file, that contains album art so I can test it myself.

since apple now encrypts the album art I don't think it can be done that easily. But don't you get the album art if you have an iTunes account?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

iTunes Album Art

Reply #11
sounds promising. so, the program is able to export album art even if the album art is linked to iTunes's database? I don't have an iTunes account yet and would only sign up so I can get the album art.
Maybe someone could send me some iTunes XML file, that contains album art so I can test it myself.

http://wmwiki.com/downloads/itsfv/?M=D

Jojo, yes that's correct. iTSfv will grab it from the iTunes Artwork database and export to Folder.jpg.
I forgot to emphasize that the current version is a two step process.

1/ Load iTSfv, Save Artwork to Album folders as Folder.jpg

Once it exports Artwork from database to Folder.jpg, you need to quit iTunes, rename your Artwork folder in My Music\iTunes\ so that iTunes *thinks* the track has no Artwork.

2/ Load iTSfv again, Add Artwork to track from Artwork.jpg

This will actually add the Artwork *into* to the file.

iTunes XML file itself doesn't contain Artwork. What you are actually after is that plus the whole iTunes Artwork folder with /Local and /Download sub folders containing *.itc files, which is about over 120 MiB in my PC. But I am not sure how well iTunes will like it because these .ITC files might be uniquely linked with a ID to my songs.

To grab Artwork via iTunes Store, yes will need to show your CC details. That's a turn off for most people.

Edit: One can use the IsDownloadedArtwork function to detect if the artwork was downloaded by iTunes and then force add the artwork from Folder.jpg.

iTunes Album Art

Reply #13
Jojo, the latest beta version of iTSfv will do them all in one step. For each track with Artwork that is downloaded via iTunes, it will actually add the Artwork to the file.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=51708

do I still have to move the iTunes database so that it thinks that there isn't any artwork? Also, I have songs from different artists in the same folder. Would that be a problem since the artwork is exported as folder.jpg, I assume?

thanks

iTunes Album Art

Reply #14
do I still have to move the iTunes database so that it thinks that there isn't any artwork? Also, I have songs from different artists in the same folder. Would that be a problem since the artwork is exported as folder.jpg, I assume?

Jojo, no, not anymore as it does it in single step; you don't have to move iTunes database.

If you have multiple artists in same folder then that could cause a problem!

Say you have

Sean Paul - Dutty Rock - 05 Get Busy.mp3 and
System of a Down - Mezmerize - 11 Lost in Hollywood

in the Folder called S and both tracks don't have Artwork embedded but they are in the iTunes database.

Now if you ask iTSfv to add Artwork, it will first copy the artwork of 05 Get Busy.mp3 as Folder.jpg in folder S and embed the Artwork back into the file. When it gets to 11 Lost in Hollywood.mp3 it will see the Folder.jpg and embed that to 11 Lost in Hollywood.mp3. So now you have got Dutty Rock's Artwork in a Mezmerize song!

Current iTSfv will only work properly if you have iTunes's Organize Music Library is turned on.

Next build of iTSfv will let you export the Artwork to a specified file pattern and import them from that file pattern to the song.

iTunes Album Art

Reply #15
If your music are not organized by iTunes or don’t have a %Artist%\%Album% folder structure then you will find this feature useful to export artwork to a specific folder with a file pattern to later embed artwork into the file. 

http://wmwiki.com/downloads/itsfv/beta/?M=D

Hopefully v3.7 does what you require.

iTunes Album Art

Reply #16
If your music are not organized by iTunes or don’t have a %Artist%\%Album% folder structure then you will find this feature useful to export artwork to a specific folder with a file pattern to later embed artwork into the file. 

http://wmwiki.com/downloads/itsfv/beta/?M=D

Hopefully v3.7 does what you require.

sweet. exactly what I need. thanks. let's cross our fingers that the rumors are true and that apple will also give lyrics away, which would be another nice addition to the program. Btw. when I download any of the setup files, Firefox tries to display them instead of starting the download. Save as works though.

iTunes Album Art

Reply #17
sweet. exactly what I need. thanks. let's cross our fingers that the rumors are true and that apple will also give lyrics away, which would be another nice addition to the program. Btw. when I download any of the setup files, Firefox tries to display them instead of starting the download. Save as works though.

Pleasure. Let me know how it goes. Not only Firefox, IE7 did the same thing for me too. Not sure why. Will do .zip next time.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019