Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: %DISC% vs %DISCNUMBER% (Read 3337 times) previous topic - next topic

%DISC% vs %DISCNUMBER%

I use (and have always used) %DISC% to hold disc number information.  This has always worked fine, and continues to work fine for the majority of my files (FLAC).
But now I find that on MP3+Apev2 files, any attempt to set %DISC% sets %DISCNUMBER% instead (seen in 0.9.3.1, still present in 0.9.4.1).  I also find no option to disable this behaviour.  Why is foobar deciding what I can and can't store in tags?
Splitting nn/NN style tracknumbers into two tags was somewhat surprising, but at least understandable (even though it broke my playlist script); but here I don't see any reason why foobar would prevent me from setting a %DISC% tag to any value. There certainly isn't anything in the APEv2 spec requiring this behaviour...

%DISC% vs %DISCNUMBER%

Reply #1
Preferences > Advanced > Standard Fields

i personally prefer DISCNUMBER but you can do w/e you want.

%DISC% vs %DISCNUMBER%

Reply #2
Preferences > Advanced > Standard Fields

i personally prefer DISCNUMBER but you can do w/e you want.

I have the "standard fields" setting set to use DISC as "Disc Number".  But when I set that field for an MP3+APEv2 file, it is not set, and a <DISCNUMBER> tag appears instead with the value I entered. So it seems like DISCNUMBER is hardwired in some cases.  Maybe DISCNUMBER is the more "standard" field to use, but I should be able to use what I like (not exactly inclined to retag 18000 files for this).

%DISC% vs %DISCNUMBER%

Reply #3
Bump due to no suitable answer so far.