Skip to main content
Topic: [HELP ME] Tagging, switching from iTunes>Foobar (Read 1183 times) previous topic - next topic

[HELP ME] Tagging, switching from iTunes>Foobar

---Update 10.15.2006
EDIT: okay, its not working. I completed his tutorial completely and I got everything but the multi-line album display.
I ripped an album using iTunes' mp3 encoder, 320kbps VBR and I got all tags through CDDB lookup.
However, when I took out the <%album tracks%> tag from the (isAlbum) global variable, I got the multi line display, although it looks rather funky. I get :
  • mp3 album {
  •   Entroducing
  •   DJ Shadow
  • }
Everything else I left completely like what Brother John described.

---Initial Post---
Hi, I'm new here.

I've been using iTunes for a while-I have an iPod. I wanted to try out foobar to do some customization and because iTunes never really suited what I had in mind. All out skinning is a plus, right now I'm also going for MINIMAL resource usage. iTunes often takes 10+ seconds to start (which doesn't seem like a long time, but it feels like it).

I have a pretty small collection, but its all over the place. I have CD's imported using iTunes, CD's copied from friends (transferred over Internet), and individual songs acquired. I tagged them all properly using iTunes' fields.

I switched over to foobar2000 v0.9.4. I made a straight install (from foobar2000.org), including everything excluding "per-user settings" and "install for all users". I tried out Brother John's scripting tutorial. 1st step, I already have a problem. Looking at my main windows (dunno what its called) albums aren't joined together at all (every line of an album goes album-artist instead of just one line) and none of them have more than one line (no additional information). I'm wondering if this is due to bad tagging.

MY QUESTION IS: How do I 'properly' tag my music files, or if there is any reason why foobar wouldn't read a specific type of tag (in this case, iTunes files). I've tried Using iTunes to convert all tag sto ID3v1 but it didn't change anything.

I'm a complete beginner to TAGS scripting, but I'm pretty sure I followed the tutorial to the letter. My columns UI came from his link.

?eace

Reply #1
It's part of his code, just follow the full thing.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #2
So by the time I finish the tutorial, it'll work out? Okay. His screenshots seemed to say otherwise.

EDIT: okay, its not working. I completed his tutorial completely and I got everything but the multi-line album display.
I ripped an album using iTunes' mp3 encoder, 320kbps VBR and I got all tags through CDDB lookup.
However, when I took out the <%album tracks%> tag from the (isAlbum) global variable, I got the multi line display, although it looks rather funky. I get :
  • mp3 album {
  •   Entroducing
  •   DJ Shadow
  • }
Everything else I left completely like what Brother John described.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019