Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Preconfigured/mobile foobar2000 distribution (Read 6018 times) previous topic - next topic

Preconfigured/mobile foobar2000 distribution

hi all, been using foobar for a while now but consider myself a newbie as I can never set it up the way some of you guys do, but I can live with that as I dont have time to study the program indepth and learn all the syntax (thought I was the bees knees when i got foo_bluetooth_ctrl working using my mobile to control the program, that was back in 0.8x never had it going ever again in 0.9x ).. anyhoo my point;

A standalone version would be great i.e. no installer, I think this would be great for numerous reasons - I dont know if its technically possible with the program code (leave that guruness to your goodselves)

1. Once you have set it up it can be transported on usb or in my case an externall hardrive storage and plugged into your freinds pc without resorting to their bloatware software to play.

2. All you gurus can customise to your hearts content and easilly share your hardwork with the newbies  . Its much like linux in a way as it it highly customisable but time effort and technical skill are required to get the full benefit (something that I know I cant and could never attain). and to stop us lesser mortals from 

3. In doing this I recon the userbase would increase and there could be a minimal charge for such, to help funding the project.

I believe this would be a good  what do yall think discuss;

Reply #1
EULA doesn't allow 2, and it's a waste of time for Peter.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #2
EULA doesn't allow 2, and it's a waste of time for Peter.

haha that was short n sweet but fairynuff, like most people I never read the EULA's   

ok scrap that thought 

Reply #3
As has been pointed out before, you can run foobar2000 from a portable drive without major problems.

I haven't tried it myself, but I hear you can just choose an output device, load some files, and play.

Reply #4
As has been pointed out before, you can run foobar2000 from a portable drive without major problems.

I haven't tried it myself, but I hear you can just choose an output device, load some files, and play.

That would not work with columns_ui, right? If I understood it correctly, you have to export your config and import it if you want to use it on another PC/installation?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #5
I don't use Columns UI anymore, so I'm not sure. Do you mean its settings are not stored in foobar2000.cfg?

If the settings are stored in foobar2000.cfg, then all you would have to do is disable user profile support to make it portable.

I think.

Reply #6

That would not work with columns_ui, right? If I understood it correctly, you have to export your config and import it if you want to use it on another PC/installation?
Wrong.

Except a few tiny things like choosing the output device, file type associations and maybe some paths to set for plugins, it will work in general.

Reply #7

Wrong.

Except a few tiny things like choosing the output device, file type associations and maybe some paths to set for plugins, it will work in general.

Well, it doesn't... Thanks for pointing me to foobar2000.cfg, appearently I need to copy this onto the active user account. I wish this would load from the foobar-dir on my portable, so I won't have to copy my UI changes every time.

Reply #8
Well, it doesn't... Thanks for pointing me to foobar2000.cfg, appearently I need to copy this onto the active user account. I wish this would load from the foobar-dir on my portable, so I won't have to copy my UI changes every time.
If you disable "per-user settings" during installation, foobar will store the config file in its main directory. With this setup you can transfer foobar to another medium and run it directly from there (I use that a lot).

Reply #9
If you disable "per-user settings" during installation, foobar will store the config file in its main directory. With this setup you can transfer foobar to another medium and run it directly from there (I use that a lot).

Myyy heeeerooo

Reply #10
I hate hate hate giving people setups. - Last time I did, I forgot that I had left my lastfm settings in and thus got a load of random crap on my lastfm

I wish more individual settings were exportable, eg:
- Columns layout
- Each components settings.
hi

Reply #11
I wish more individual settings were exportable, eg:
- Columns layout
- Each components settings.

Yes! I've wanted this for ages! It would be so convinient instead of typing all it out...
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)