Skip to main content
Topic: WMA freezes system while scanning (Read 1609 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA freezes system while scanning

History
1. Like many of us I don't like WMA but got some files in that format.
2. Have noted the serious problem months ago; having no solution, converted WMA files to another format so that I could add that music to the library.
3. Since fb2k now supports WMA tag editing, in order to avoid the double lossy conversion I decided to try again but noted that the problem continues with 0.9.4.

Problem
If I open a WMA file (or a list of files) directly with fb2k, I can play them and can also edit their tags.
However, if I try to Rescan Media Library, the system freezes when it reaches the first WMA - a hard reset is needed.

The XP Pro SP2 system is absolutely stable, runs 24/24 for months, XP firewall on, AVG Antivirus, weekly TrendMicro antispyware scan, monthly chkdsk, tested memory, updated drivers etc. etc.
Two weeks ago migrated everything to a brand new HD.
Have never ever seen it hang - it only hangs (and always hangs) if fb2k reaches a WMA while scanning.

It seems that fb2k is really the culprit in this case, but it's puzzling that it plays and edit tags normally - just can't scan them.

p.s. Incidentally, I scan the same files from another computer with fb2k and it doesn't freeze.

Reply #1
I was going to wait to see if this popped up for anyone else.
My system freezes as well when rescanning/scanning media library.

The first time it happened with me was with 0.9.3.

I do have a few WMA but, my symptoms are a little different.
I figured I had too many files or, because they are split between two drives.

It appeared to me as though the scan was freezing when any other disk activity would occur besides Foobar.

In other words, the scan would proceed just fine until I would open up my computer or, my documents.

I haven’t tried it with 0.9.4, haven’t been in the mood lately for a complete system freeze.

Reply #2
I was going to wait to see if this popped up for anyone else.
My system freezes as well when rescanning/scanning media library.

The first time it happened with me was with 0.9.3.

I first noted the strange problem with 0.9.3.

Are you also able to play and edit WMA tags?
Your system only freezes when foobar2000 reaches a WMA while scanning?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020