Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Do you need/use Nero Scout  ?

Yes
[ 1 ] (1.3%)
No
[ 79 ] (98.8%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Topic: Do you need/use Nero Scout ? (Read 14008 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you need/use Nero Scout ?

I'm eager to know how really popular this part of Nero 7 Package is. Leave your comments, if you like

Reply #1
No' I don't use Nero Scout. Actually, I do not use Nero 7. I switched to CopytoDVD a year ago.

Reply #2
For the life of me, I really don't see the point of Nero Scout.

What pisses me off is that Nero is pushing people to use Nero Scout without an option to opt-out... must uninstall manually.

And I *thought* Microsoft was bad...

Reply #3
I Didn't see any reason to use this aplication in Nero. 
Sorry for my bad english.

Reply #4
Actually, I don't like that Nero has got a lot of software which is not related to CD/DVD burning. I'm not a big fan of "univirsal" software.

P.S. it took a time to uninstall Nero Scout. Not a very fair piece of software I would say.

Reply #5
No. Unneeded.

Reply #6
Not at all.

Disabling Nero Scout
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

Reply #8
It's one of the reasons I'm sticking with Nero 6.6.1.4.
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #9
Absoloutely not.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #10
Me too!

Ahead Nero, please release an official "Nero Lite" version and a separate package for InCD as well.

I'm currently looking for alternatives (and I have already switched to Burrrn for CD-Audio burning) because I absolutely have no need for all the bloat that comes with Nero 7. I just need a good, solid burning application, like Nero IS (although it has its bad nasty habits) and a good, solid UDF packet writing software, like InCD is.

Again, all other media related or unrelated tools you currently impose have absolutely no home in my PC.

To push on your media related software is a perfectly valid choice on your part, but to impose it to a loyal customer base who went to you for a burning application is not fair, IMHO.

Sergio

Edit: I just realized the company changed its name.
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #11
I just noticed that in their Product Comparison Chart Nero, amid the "Extra" features, at the end, lists "Customize installer to tailor your Nero applications to your needs". What does that means?

A) Customize the defaults for the various applications
B) Customize which applications are installed

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #12

Actaually i just found 6.6.1.6 OEM. Don't what's the difference and why it is not available from the Nero web though.

But to stay on topic, i'm not using the Scout, even don't know what it actaully does (except crating problems) cause i never tried Nero 7. And hope i will never be forced to try it.

Reply #13
I don't use Nero. Actually, I used to use it, but moved over around 2002. I only want a burning suite, and Nero seems to me bloated and expensive for this. I use a combination of programs which, put together, weigh at less than 5MB:

* Burrrn -- bliss, for the occasional Audio CD
* ImgBurn -- bliss (apart from the occasional glitch)
* cdrtfe -- promising suite, clean, logical GUI, but I have problems with Greek file names
* burnatonce -- loved it once, then started having problems, it is not actively developed, switched to cdrtfe
* DeepBurner -- very reliable, ugly GUI, no support for UDF (at least the free version)

Reply #14
Huge waste of resources. Nero sadly became a bloatware since the 5.5 versions. I don't have use for most of the bundled apps: Home, Sipps, Mobile, Scout, StartSmart, WaveEditor, SoundTrax, Vision, ShowTime, PhotoSnap, CoverDesigner, BackItUp, SoundBox...

Actually, scrap that, it's much easier to list the programs I actually use: Burning ROM and Recode.

Most of those programs listed above are sad excuses for programs that are more focused on what they do: PhotoSnap vs. Paint Shop Pro (I won't bother comparing it to Photoshop), WaveEditor vs. Audition, ShowTime vs. pretty much any DirectShow player, ImageDrive vs. DaemonTools, Sipps vs. Skype...

Edit: I would actually like to know who is the only guy who voted yes :B

Reply #15
Huge waste of resources. Nero sadly became a bloatware since the 5.5 versions. I don't have use for most of the bundled apps: Home, Sipps, Mobile, Scout, StartSmart, WaveEditor, SoundTrax, Vision, ShowTime, PhotoSnap, CoverDesigner, BackItUp, SoundBox...

Actually, scrap that, it's much easier to list the programs I actually use: Burning ROM and Recode.

Most of those programs listed above are sad excuses for programs that are more focused on what they do: PhotoSnap vs. Paint Shop Pro (I won't bother comparing it to Photoshop), WaveEditor vs. Audition, ShowTime vs. pretty much any DirectShow player, ImageDrive vs. DaemonTools, Sipps vs. Skype...

Edit: I would actually like to know who is the only guy who voted yes :B

Crikey, I didn't even know there was a voip client in there. Just what we needed eh? Seriously, how many people use that?

Look at all the other free alternatives out there for some of that stuff - cdburnerxp, paint.net (fantastic bit of software imo), media player classic or vlc etc etc.

Ahead have seriously been eaten by their marketing department.

Reply #16
I have an idea:

Assuming that Nero isn't wishing to release a "Nero Lite" version (it's their businness) and that other such versions floating around and of which we aren't allowed to discuss too much are illegal stuff, dont' you think it would be perfectly feasible for a knowledgable programmer to develop a "Custom Nero Uninstaller" that would be easly used even by a noob to uninstall the bloat he don't need?

Sergio

Edit: This would be perfectly legal too, wouldn't it be?
Sergio

Reply #17
a "Custom Nero Uninstaller"

Actually, someone started something in this spirit (like nLite but for Nero), but it seems the project is frozen:

* http://sourceforge.net/projects/nerolite

neroLite is a little collection of tools and an installer-builder which lets you create your own customized nero installer with only the basic required components of nero burning rom.

Reply #18
Recode and Burn is all I use

Reply #19
neroLite is a little collection of tools and an installer-builder which lets you create your own customized nero installer with only the basic required components of nero burning rom.

This is a different thing, an installer-builder, the legal status of which is questionable.

An uninstaller is a different story. Nobody can legally prevent me to uninstall whatever bloat I want from my system and to implement a tool to get this job accomplished.

Sergio

==========================================

[Ahead have seriously been eaten by their marketing department.

And a very lazy and inept marketing dept, IMHO.

It seems the only thing they are apt to do in order to promote their new products (that can actually be good ones) is to forcibly piggy-back them on old (good) products.

Sergio

Edit: Again stuck in a IPB bug, apparently. Two replies to two different posts are consolidated in a single one.
Sergio

Reply #20

This is a different thing, an installer-builder, the legal status of which is questionable. [...]

I know.

I just find it interesting that someone would devote their time to coding such a tool. I suppose it shows how much the burning component of the suite is valued.

btw, the automatic consolidation may be a new feature.

Reply #21
One more conisderation:

Do you think any serious IT executive would take into consideration this product as a burning application to be installed on dozens, hundreds or maybe thousands professional workstations? Believe, me... nobody will, unless an administrative install can be designed to install just what is needed for the job and not all the other toys.

Sergio
Sergio

Reply #22

As today almost everyone who is employed is forced to use computers, the people like the most of us here who have been using computers for 10-15 years are becoming a minority. I can pretty imagine that the average joe is impressed by Nero calling: Wow, i can do everything with this program. If Nero is slowing down his system he's thinking about upgrading and not removing unnecessary bloatware. So i'm not sure the way Nero is going will lead to a significant loss of it's marketshare and revenues.

Reply #23
First thing i do, post-installation, is to remove Nero Scout.

Hmm the sole chap who voted 'Yes', i wish he/she would post here to share his/her reason. I'm curious.

Reply #24

As today almost everyone who is employed is forced to use computers, the people like the most of us here who have been using computers for 10-15 years are becoming a minority. I can pretty imagine that the average joe is impressed by Nero calling: Wow, i can do everything with this program. If Nero is slowing down his system he's thinking about upgrading and not removing unnecessary bloatware. So i'm not sure the way Nero is going will lead to a significant loss of it's marketshare and revenues.

Probably, if they are after gamers and kids. That can be a significant part of the market, I concur. But the corporate image as a provider of professional solutions will suffer. I'm in this field since 1981, and I used to be Chief Technology Officer for a mid-sized telephone company. Now I'm partly "retired", partly freelance consultant. As I said above, I will not take into consideration this product, as it is packaged today, for professional solutions.

Sergio
Sergio