Skip to main content
Topic: Dumb Windows 2000 - Foobar question (Read 4198 times) previous topic - next topic

Dumb Windows 2000 - Foobar question

I am currently using an old laptop as a media player.  It has Windows 2000 Pro as the OS and is running Foobar 8.3.  The laptop turns off its screen after 15 minutes of no use (as measured by the last time a key was pressed).  I would love to only turn off the screen when no music is being played and then 15 minutes of no use.  Is there any way to configure the laptop to do this?

Thanks!

John

Reply #1
Bump

Anyone?

Is there a way to prevent the screen saver from turning off the screen when music is playing?

Reply #2
I doubt Windows 2000 is smart enough to do that. Off course you could just switch off the screensaver, it's not really necesary in this age.

Reply #3
Alternatively, make an AutoHotkey script. Have it watch the title bar of foobar. If the title bar is not "foobar2000", that means a song is playing, and have the script send a Left-Shift-Down, Left-Shift-Up every 10 minutes. If the title bar is only "foobar2000", that means a song is not playing, and the script should not send anything.

I may be able to whip something up when I get home. PM me if you want the AHK script, or an executable. (I recommend the former)

Reply #4
Under the tab on screen saver furhet down you have energy saving functions. Edit the field in where it's says something like don't put on sleep mode when lid is shut. Or something alike.
I was at another crime scene at that time officer.

Reply #5
Thanks for the replies.  I really appreciate them.  Pepoluan - I sent you a PM.

Thanks!

John

Reply #6
Here's a script (haven't been tested yet, don't have AHK nor fb2k on my office PC):

Code: [Select]
#NoEnv
SetTimer, CheckFoobarActive, % 10*60*1000
return

+#f::ExitApp

CheckFoobarActive:
SetTitleMatchMode, 1
fbID:=WinExist("foobar2000")
if (fbID) {
   WinGetTitle, fbTitle, ahk_id %fbID%
   If (fbTitle<>"foobar2000 is not playing")) {
      Send {Shift Down}{Shift Up}
   }
}
return

This script assumes that foobar2000's title always starts with "foobar2000", no matter when it is playing a song or not, but also assumes that the title is lengthened (e.g. by appending the name of the currently playing song) when it is playing a song.

Edit: Oh yeah, pressing Shift-Win-F stops the script.

Edit2: Replace the string "foobar2000 is not playing" with the actual titlebar of foobar2000 when it is not playing. Don't forget to enclose the string in doublequotes.

Reply #7
The script had a small error, which may cause Windows2000 to never screen-save. I've fixed it.

Reply #8
I've uploaded a more generic version, tested on both v0.8.3 and v0.9.2. Should run with v0.9.3beta, but not tested exhaustively.

It's in this thread.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020