Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC SV8 (Read 9902 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC SV8

I was wondering what sound quality improvements will occur with the release of SV8?  Will there be any?  Is it safe to begin archiving using the latest SV7 encoder?

MPC SV8

Reply #1
There will always be some improvements I guess, but I don't think they will be groundbraking.  When is it ever safe to start archiving with a lossless codec?? In my eyes it's safe when transparency on (almost) every music material is reached, and the current SV7 encoder does just that.
Anyway, just for info, I'm "archiving" with --quality 8 switch.  I know it's a quite high bitrate but a couple of years ago I was happily "archiving" with Lame using apx preset and that gave me about the same bitrates as I'm getting now but this time the quality is much higher so I'm happy .

MPC SV8

Reply #2
mmmmm.... sound quality improvments to somethings that good. /me drools.

MPC SV8

Reply #3
I think the main improvements will be more flexibility in the format like resampling and  multichannels. One good goal could be improvementes for low bitrate, altough mpc is not intended for low bitrates, there's some hope.

MPC SV8

Reply #4
I don't think SV8 will offer much improvement for 44.1KHz 16-bit music. It seems the biggest gain from SV8 is the wider dynamic range capability (for those cases where --xlevel can't fully capture the dynamics of a "slovenly mastered" track). The psymodel will probably be the same as the SV7 encoders.

Multi-channel capability and new sampling rates will be SV8's biggest additions.

MPC SV8

Reply #6
I think (not verified) that the current SV7.1 encoder already supports most sampling rates.  SV8 should still add multichannel ability though if nothing else has changed.  Probably the biggest difference in SV8 though will be the new bitstream and container format which should fix a lot of issues (some quality related that are difficult to fix with SV7).  Also, there's the possibility for some major improvements in low bitrate encoding...

Overall though, I don't think anyone can say 100% for sure what all will be in SV8 until it is done.

MPC SV8

Reply #7
I think sv8 is a myth. I've seen people write about sv8 for a very long time now - but I haven't seen it yet, and when asked, insiders just say something like "patience...patience.."

It is a conspiracy designed by ogg fans, mp3 fans to make mpc users finally turn over to other formats, because they gradually realize that this sv8 is a no show.

Prove me wrong.

MPC SV8

Reply #9
I think (not verified) that the current SV7.1 encoder already supports most sampling rates.  SV8 should still add multichannel ability though if nothing else has changed.  Probably the biggest difference in SV8 though will be the new bitstream and container format which should fix a lot of issues (some quality related that are difficult to fix with SV7).  Also, there's the possibility for some major improvements in low bitrate encoding...

Overall though, I don't think anyone can say 100% for sure what all will be in SV8 until it is done.

Strange but true fact:

In my experience, mpc 1.14 doesn't support 22 khz, but supports the oddball psx-related xa-audio 37khz samplerate.

At the very least it would be nice to have resample support for 22 khz built-in, instead of just not encoding those files.  Although encoding 22 khz files natively saves a good bit of space...

MPC SV8

Reply #10
can someone explain me what sv 8 ?
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy

MPC SV8

Reply #11
I was wondering what sound quality improvements will occur with the release of SV8?  Will there be any?  Is it safe to begin archiving using the latest SV7 encoder?

From what I've heard you should be able to convert your SV7 MPCs to SV8 in a lossless manner.

MPC SV8

Reply #12
I was wondering what sound quality improvements will occur with the release of SV8?  Will there be any?  Is it safe to begin archiving using the latest SV7 encoder?

From what I've heard you should be able to convert your SV7 MPCs to SV8 in a lossless manner.

Why would they need to be converted? Because hardware players will only read SV8 and not SV7 files?

MPC SV8

Reply #14
can someone explain me what sv 8 ?

Stream version 8 - the next generation of musepack.
It is not completed yet.

MPC SV8

Reply #15
Will SV8 be the final StreamVersion upgrade for MPC?

MPC SV8

Reply #16
Who develope sv8? Still the same people who develope sv7? Or since it's open source, there are many people develope it?

MPC SV8

Reply #17
Frank Klemm is doing it.

MPC SV8

Reply #19
I think sv8 is a myth. Prove me wrong.

Frank is working hard on it. Hopefully he doesnt read these sort of comments, they might demotivate him a lot ...

MPC SV8

Reply #20
Why would they need to be converted? Because hardware players will only read SV8 and not SV7 files?

Frank told me that in some cases just the new SV8 framing could save up to 40% of the framing overhead compared to SV7, and this could be about 0.5% of the file size in the end .. not much maybe, but every byte counts as you know  ...

MPC SV8

Reply #21
I think sv8 is a myth. Prove me wrong.

Frank is working hard on it. Hopefully he doesnt read these sort of comments, they might demotivate him a lot ...

It was just a joke I think

MPC SV8

Reply #22
It was just a joke I think

Well, yes ... it seems i didnt get his point correctly, had to read it a few times to understand he thinks its a myth launched from Ogg and AAC lovers to frustrate MPC useres ... lol      ....

Sorry xstatic, i guess i have to improve my crossreading again 

MPC SV8

Reply #23
Is there an ETA for SV8?

MPC SV8

Reply #24
i don't think any of the lossy codec developers publish a public ETA..  not ogg, aac, lame, and not afaik Frank Klemm and mpc.