Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Doing a large scale public listening test... (Read 15718 times) previous topic - next topic

Doing a large scale public listening test...

Reply #25
I encoded at 64kBit/s with Helix Producer Basic and it sounded great compared to WMA. If you want to test the best codecs at 64kBit/s RA8 should be definetly one of the canidats. Also it´s free and playable not only on win32, also on linux, mac... you should consider to add this codec to your test.

I second it.
RealOne player version 2 use ATRAC3 at 66 kbps. NetMinidisc users can transfer and listen to it. The hardware support for atrac3 (encrypted) is really wide. A listening test should include this codec.

for curiosity : Sony released a new (?) codec called atrac3+. The encoding mode are : 48 kbps and 64 kbps. Compared to simple atrac3 LP4 (66 kbps), it sound more clear (more treble) , but it seems to be more artifacts too. It's hard to decode, and to ABX it. Atrac3+ is bundled with Sonic Stage. Hardware player will be released soon. A link, in french :
http://www.clubic.com/n/gen/n7304.html

Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #26
I used 64Kbit/s not 66kBit/s. I wasn´t sure why there are two so similar bitrates, but it seems that there are two codecs:
RA 8 and RA8. RA 8 is used for higher bitrates, RA8 for lower and voice.
RA 8 seems to be atrac3, while RA8 is the real Real Audio.

Reply #27
I used 64Kbit/s not 66kBit/s. I wasn´t sure why there are two so similar bitrates, but it seems that there are two codecs:
RA 8 and RA8. RA 8 is used for higher bitrates, RA8 for lower and voice.
RA 8 seems to be atrac3, while RA8 is the real Real Audio.

I haven't HELIX PRODUCER. But I think that the new Real products are using the new atrac3 codec, at unusual bitrates :
· 44 kbps
· 64 kbps
· 105 kbps
· 132 kbps
· 176 kbps
· 264 kbps
· 352 kbps
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #28
I haven't HELIX PRODUCER.
You can download it for free at real, it doesn´t contain ads or banners, it also asks you only one time to register, it also can do nearly everything, it´s yust more compliacted, for example you cannot edit the encoding-profile in the job, you have to do it manually with opening the Profile Manager, also you can have only one self-created job you always have to edit.
64 kbps
You mean 66 kbps? At all this unusal bitrates the codec is listed as "RA 8", the others are "RA8".
Is the codec the same codec as atrac3? I have an atrac3-acm-codec, supporting 66kbps, 105kbps and 132kbps, but 66kbps sounds terrible.

Reply #29
Short update of my progress: I'm still very unsure about some points.

ath Studies Project: 64kbps Listening Test

ABSTRACT
A Math Studies IB project done by Tobias Boeger to evaluate the quality of different modern audio compression formats (codecs) using a random sample of 50 PHS students.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Introduction to psychoacoustic audio compression

2. Math Studies 64kbps group test
2.1 Goals
2.2 Tested Codecs
2.3 Testing Methology

3.Evaluation
[MORE INFORMATION NEEDED]

4. Conclusion

TODO
> Choose Codecs to include (4):
 -lame 3.93.1
 -Vorbis 1.0
 -WMA9
 -RA8
 -MP3Pro1.1
 -aacenc 2.15

> Choose Sample (10-30 sec.); maybe a problem sample

NOTES
Program used for evaluation ABC/HR by ff123
Bootstrap?
Parametic Friedman analysis? (ask ff123 or Garf)

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.