Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Secure Ripper Test (part 2 concise results) (Read 144951 times) previous topic - next topic

Secure Ripper Test (part 2 concise results)

Reply #50
On my system, the software always starts maximized and I am unable to cancel a rip (at least when doing a test conversion).

Is anyone else having these problems?

Reply #51
Yes, mine always starts maximised. It would be nice if it remembered the size the application was when you exited but I don't mind either way.

I wouldn't know how to cancel a rip, I see no stop/cancel button.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #52
After working with this for a while with my Plextor, I think it would be nice to have the ability to control a few more items.

I am still unsure about how C2 pointers are used during re-reads.  Does it re-rip until 10 tries do not have E32 flags and result in identical data?

I think it would be good to have control not only over the over the maximum number of number of re-reads but also over how many identical matches occur before re-reads finish when C2 isn't being used.  When C2 is being used, I think it would be good have the option to use C2 exclusively during re-reads regardless of the data, a mix of C2 and matching data, or (like EAC) no C2 at all during re-reads.  It might also be useful to be able to separately specify the number of tries that must result in no E32 flags before re-reads finish.

Some examples:
- re-read until X identical matches, at least Y of which aren't flagged as being uncorrectable up to a maximum of Z attempts (Y<=X<=Z).
- re-read until X identical matches of Z attempts (no C2, even though C2 was used to flag bad prior to re-reads).
- re-read until no E32 flags occur of Z attempts (exclusively use C2).

I don't think it would make sense to allow a minimum number of attempts without E32 flags that is larger than 1 if the data isn't being taken into consideration.  If it happened that multiple tries without E32 flags delivered different data, how would the software deide on what data to use?

Finally, ATM, the software will allow the user to enter a smaller number for the Minimum Ultra Passes than the End After Clean Passes setting.  I find this to be misleading and somewhat confusing.

If a number smaller than the End After Clean Passes number is entered for the Minimum Ultra Passes, it should automatically revert to End After Clean Passes number.  If the End After Clean Passes number is increased as to become larger than the number of Minimum Ultra Passes, the Minimum Ultra Passes number should automatically change and be made the same as the End After Clean Passes number that was just entered.

Reply #53
To cancel click the Rip button again.

>Does it re-rip until 10 tries do not have E32 flags and result in identical data?

Yes

I didnt want to go overboard with options, too many options and people would not have a clue how to set it up.

I am not too sure what the combinations of c2 would achieve, for example if c2 was wrongly being reported, then at the end it would be marked as insecure, but Accuraterip would still have the chance to verify it (if there was a fault in c2 detection, it wouldn't overly be a problem in the case of false positive).

>change the Artist name for a various Artist CD (never did figure that out  ).

Select 1 track (see the artist box go blue) now type in the artist box and just that tracks artist will change (ofcouse compilation needs to be checked).

Reply #54
I tried that, it didn't work.  It paused for a moment and started the ripping the current track over again from the beginning.

I didnt want to go overboard with options, too many options and people would not have a clue how to set it up.
I understand.  Would an advanced window with a restore to defaults button be feasible?

I am not too sure what the combinations of c2 would achieve, for example if c2 was wrongly being reported, then at the end it would be marked as insecure, but Accuraterip would still have the chance to verify it (if there was a fault in c2 detection, it wouldn't overly be a problem in the case of false positive).
I mention this because I am able to get correct results always from PlexTools and frequently from EAC for tracks that I can rarely get ripped correctly using your program regardless of the settings.  I'm hoping you might be able to get your program to behave more like EAC or PlexTools through an extra user-configured setting or two.  Considering that re-reads are exclusively done with C2 when the setting is checked, I would think that I'd get results similar to PlexTools.  Unfortunately this is not the case, which is why I asked.

Did my comment about Minimum Ultra Passes being smaller than End After Clean Passes make sense, or am I not understanding this properly?

Reply #55
It could be the Rip button will not unclick in the current alpha (I fixed an issue with that and thought it was a newer bug, but perhaps not).

>I mention this because I am able to get correct results always from PlexTools and frequently from EAC

You will have to ellaborate, on how many tracks, how many discs? what is classed as a correct result? (the rip is shown to have an error? or plextools can rip any badly scrashed cd thrown at it  ).

Reply #56
You will have to ellaborate, on how many tracks, how many discs? what is classed as a correct result? (the rip is shown to have an error? or plextools can rip any badly scrashed cd thrown at it  ).

If your software could be tweaked in such a way as to improve its accuracy so that it can match or better what EAC and/or Plextools can do, even for a small percentage of tracks, I think it would be worthwhile.

I'm working with a small set of "problem" discs that I have with a few tracks that are difficult but can be ripped correctly (verified by AccurateRip or by a rip from rip from a different original copy).  I have known to be skeptical of EAC's "No errors occured" message and matching CRCs for a very long time now.  I can't really comment on PlexTools logs other than to say I haven't verified them as being incorrect, though I am skeptical of them too.

Like so many people, I have multiple drives (>2) and a decent-sized collection of discs (although far too few of them are in bad-enough condition to do any good) but not a lot of time on my hands to rigorously test all of them.  I had mentioned earlier that I have a drive that does C2 that was not detected with alpha4 and a drive that doesn't do C2 with EAC that is detected as doing so.  Hopefully this has changed with alpha5, but I haven't done any testing with it on those drives.

Reply #57
I understand.  Would an advanced window with a restore to defaults button be feasible?

How about a drop down list of disc-status optimized combinations (brand new, dirty, lightly scratched, badly scratched, substrate failing due to bitrot, pinholes), plus a "custom" option that makes the all the variables directly editable?

Yeah, I know, sorta crazy.

-brendan

Reply #58
I tried that, it didn't work.  It paused for a moment and started the ripping the current track over again from the beginning.

in "confirm file replace" click "no to all"
Music is my first love.

Reply #59
dBpowerAMP Release 12 Alpha 6

A significant update for CD Ripper, mainly:

AMG meta data
Album Art
Log files (3 levels of log)
Album Artist Tag
Meta Data ID Tag section, for removing & adding specific tags
C2 ripping enhancements
Prevent AutoRun Option (a low level catch of the new CD notification, no malware will install)
New 'naming' existing users click 'set' and 'default'
Preview of audio tracks

As well as:

FLAC encoder
Album Art supportted in most codecs

-------
C2 enhancements include a best result from c2 if cannot match 10 frames, also it is recommended that if a drive supports c2 then the maximum re-reads should be set to around 700 (you will see impressive results with this).

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=51670#post51670

Reply #60
Configuring dBpowerAMP Secure Ripper

To get best results you need to spend a small amount of time configuring secure CD Ripping, in CD Ripper click options and put the radio option into 'Secure (Recover Errors)' ripping method. Then click 'Secure Settings':

Scroll down to 'c2 Error Pointers...' and click 'Detect c2 support' (you will need a scratched CD). Note c2 support in dBpowerAMP is a help, it is not like EAC where everyone recommends it be switched off, if your drive supports it switch it on - your ripping results will be much better for it.

Next is caching, if your drive caches it will hinder CD Ripper's re-rips (ie it will read old data from the cache and stop the secure part from working), so if you have Plextor click 'Test FUA Support' (this option can disable the cache if supported), everyone else click 'Detect' next to drive read cache (this time insert a new unscratched CD). Plextor owners can test FUA support also when checked with detect drive read cache, it should detect no cache.

Now there are two types of drive, those that support C2 and those that do not, if your drive supports c2 then set 'Maximum Re-reads' to 700, and enable 'Ultra Secure' with 1 Minimum Passes and End after 1 clean pass.

If your drive does not support c2, leave the settings as they are (34 max re-reads, and enable ultra with 3 minimum passes, maximum 6 and end after 2 clean passes).

A poor drive (not very good at ripping without error) try (without C2) a relatively high number of ultra passes (min 6, finish after 3, max 10 or 16).

Reply #61
The FLAC encoder is not showing up as an option for me to encode to, even after installing the alpha flac encoder from the alpha page.

Reply #62
Look in:

C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\encoder

you should have FLAC.dll and FLAC.ico  (assuming your dBpowerAMP is installed to C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\)

Reply #63
spoon , do you think add scan for replay gain after encoding ( foobar and winamp can do )  ?
and it is possible to save album art as file (folder.jpg) ?

cheers, melomane
Music is my first love.

Reply #64
Replaygain goes in when DSP effects are implemented (within next 4-8 weeks), will also add option to save art as folder.jpg for next alpha.

Reply #65
This is looking to be a very great ripper. I have a couple questions:

About the album art:  Does the ripper just load the album art, or can it include it when tagging files? I don't see any option for it if you can do that.

My Plextor drive: I have a plextor PX-760A drive. I use EAC -usefua and check that my drive doesn't cache and it works fine for me ripping. I get accurate results with it. dBpowerAMP CD Ripper says my drive doesn't support FUA. If I click it manually that it does, and my drive doesn't cache audio, it still works fine. Does anyone know if my drive is capable of using FUA. I would think If you would use this option on a drive that doesn't that you wouldn't get accurate results, but maybe I don't fully understand this.

Thanks again!!

Reply #66
About the album art:  Does the ripper just load the album art, or can it include it when tagging files? I don't see any option for it if you can do that.

Options -> Meta Data (Click Options) -> (checkbox) Album Art
"Ability to store an element depends upon tagging & audio format used."
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #67
Greynol found that if a certain virtual cd drive was installed then FUA would not work in any program, could you have Daemon tools installed?

Reply #68
Greynol found that if a certain virtual cd drive was installed then FUA would not work in any program, could you have Daemon tools installed?

yes I do have daemon tools installed. Should I try and uninstall it and see?

Reply #69
Simply removing DAEMON Tools probably won't fix this.  You'll need to uninstall SCSI Pass Through Direct.

Here's the post that spoon is talking about.  It will tell you how to remove SPTD.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....&pid=431766

It has been my experience that with SPTD, -usefua does not work correctly with EAC.  Unlike with spoon's new ripper, EAC has no test for its experimental usage of the FUA command.  Could you tell me your methodology for determining whether it works properly with EAC in a PM or to the link I gave?

Reply #70
Sorry I'm new to dBpowerAMP trying to see if it's better for me than EAC with my new drive.

How to interpret results like the following?  I used your recommendations for the settings as you can see.
Code: [Select]
dBpowerAMP Release 12 Alpha 6 Digital Audio Extraction Log from Monday, October 02, 2006 3:30 PM

Drive & Settings
----------------

Ripping with drive 'F:  [LITE-ON  - DVDRW SHW-160P6S]',  Drive offset: 6,  Overread Lead-in/out: Yes
AccurateRip: Active,  Using C2: Yes,  Cache: 670 KB,  FUA Cache Invalidate: No
Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max,  Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
Ultra::  Vary Drive Speed: No,  Min Passes: 1,  Max Passes: 6,  Finish After Clean Passes: 1
Bad Sector Re-rip::  Drive Speed: Max,  Maximum Re-reads: 700

Encoder: Wave -compression="PCM"

Extraction Log
--------------

Track 1:  Ripped LBA 0 to 29552 (6:34) in 0:38. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 01 - Black Blade.wav
  AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 2)  Secure  [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 1]

Track 2:  Ripped LBA 29552 to 52877 (5:11) in 0:23. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 02 - Monsters.wav

Track 3:  Ripped LBA 52877 to 75905 (5:07) in 0:21. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 03 - Divine Wind.wav

Track 4:  Ripped LBA 75905 to 95945 (4:27) in 0:17. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 04 - Deadline.wav

Track 5:  Ripped LBA 95945 to 120175 (5:23) in 0:19. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 05 - The Marshall Plan.wav

Track 6:  Ripped LBA 120175 to 136540 (3:38) in 0:12. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 06 - Hungry Boys.wav

Track 7:  Ripped LBA 136540 to 150890 (3:11) in 0:10. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 07 - Fallen Angel.wav

Track 8:  Ripped LBA 150890 to 170817 (4:25) in 0:14. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 08 - Lips in the Hills.wav

Track 9:  Ripped LBA 170817 to 188612 (3:57) in 0:12. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Blue Öyster Cult\Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus - 09 - Unknown Tongue.wav

--------------

9 Tracks Ripped Securely
This was a CD I've known to have issues on the first and second tracks ever since it was brand new.  In EAC I had never been able to get matching CRCs on the first track resulting in a few "suspicious positions".  That makes me kind of nervous seeing how it didn't reread the first track any more than the rest.  Maybe this drive is just a lot better than my old NEC despite the handicap of the DAE cache?  Also, should I write off the inaccurate part with a confidence of only 2?  There is only one official release of this CD and it matches the catalog number on mine (I know it to not be the remaster).

Feature Request:  Add the track CRCs to the logs pretty please?
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #71
Having serious problems with Alpha 6 and the CLI encoder.  Pretty much no matter what parameter string i pass (using lancer vorbis or neroaacenc.exe), I get this error message when encoding:

Error writing audio data to StdIn Pipe [clEncoder::EncodeBlock]

That's using this command line string when using NeroAacEnc.exe:

-q 0.5 -if [InFile] -of [OutFile]

When using oggenc2 (lancer),  I've tried these parameters, and they don't work.

-Q -q5.0 - -o [OutFile]

-Q -q5.0 [InFile] -o [OutFile]

These both give me the "Error writing audio data to StdIn Pipe [clEncoder::EncodeBlock]" message.

Any guidance as to what my strings should be?  I'm expecially in search of the string for Vorbis.  My CLI Encoder plugin for dbPowerAmp is Release 1.
Help would be appreciated! 

Reply #72
Song titles with a comma, although displayed correctly in the ripper, have the resulting filenames renamed with a period instead.  Is that the intended behavior?

"I, Voyager" -> "I. Voyager.wav"

Also, is there any chance of having separate checkboxes for overread into lead-in vs. lead-out for those of us whose drives only do one or the other?  I know it was asked of EAC in the past but I don't recall if there were technical reasons it's always been all or nothing.

Reply #73
@Societal

If every track is inaccurate (as your log shows) and the CD is not overly scratched then it is pretty certain the CD being reported as Confidence of 2 is a different pressing to yours, so AccurateRip can be dis-counted in this instance (although in the log it is supposed to suggest different pressing, but is not I will look into that).

About the first track - this track reported no c2 errors and all frames matched on a first ultra pass. If you ask me it was ripped fine, but if you are still not sure try minimum of 7 ultra passes, then for sure it would pick up any errors on that track.

Commas are replaced in the filenames, it was a quick hack just before this release (as the programiatical naming was getting messed up by commas, I can fix for next alpha).

>checkboxes for overread into lead-in vs. lead-out for those of us whose drives only do one or the other?

If a drive has a positive offset then it reads only into one, not both, again a negative offset and it reads into the other one, so such an option would be have no use.

@jarsonic

It has to be lowercase for infile and outfile, ie:

-if [infile] -of [outfile]

Reply #74
I have been testing the new C2 ripping options (700 re-rips and smart c2 allocation if no match) on an NEC-2510a, now normally this ripper is fairly poor (in comparison to the Plextor 240a), but with those options on it is able to achive the same results as the plextor (just takes longer). I will have to add this drive to the test page as the results are quite stunning (difference between c2 on/off, and the using of c2).