Skip to main content
Topic: Long Filename bug XP-EAC-LAME (Read 3189 times) previous topic - next topic

Long Filename bug XP-EAC-LAME

i accidently set the eac to create a filename that is obviously too long to handle for XP. I can´t move or delete it, nor change the name. thx m. 
ps.: which lame is the one to use at the moment?

Reply #1
Have you already tried to delete them with "Windows Explorer"? - Normally this tool can delete files from harddisk, where others fail (e.g. "Windows Commander"). A few weeks ago, I had some files, which neither could be found by the system on the harddisk anymore, nor could this error be corrected by the dos-function "chkdsk" (checkdisk). They were yet only listed in the directories. But with Windows Explorer I still could delete them.
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #2
Nope, doesn´t work. XP-Explorer has no access.

Reply #3
Try using "deltree" to delete the whole directory if possible.

Reply #4
Reboot your machine. You probably have some app that has session locked the file, preventing deletion.

Reply #5
i accidently set the eac to create a filename that is obviously too long to handle for XP. I can´t move or delete it, nor change the name. thx m. 
ps.: which lame is the one to use at the moment?

i would still suggest trying to move it to another directory on the same drive (using explorer).
if it is on c: then move it to c:\tmp, if on d: then to d:\tmp and so on
Directory name should be something very short, like "tmp"

Reply #6
I had the same problem with a file I got from kazaa which had a very long filename and I could find no way to delete it in windows.

Only thing that worked was restarting in "dos-prompt mode" and delete the file.

Reply #7
When that problem occured on my WinXP machine, moving the file has mostly solved the problem. after it has been moved, I have been able to rename the file and after that remove it. Good luck.

Reply #8
I doubt your filename is really too long for XP to handle - XP can handle filenames up to 255 characters and full paths of up to 32,767 (wide) characters.  So you could have a filename like "c:\255 letter name 1\255 letter name 2\255 letter name 3\......\255 letter name 128" and it would (well, should) work ok.

Reply #9
except for most of windows programs having hardcoded limit of 260 (MAX_PATH) characters per file path.

Reply #10
except for most of windows programs having hardcoded limit of 260 (MAX_PATH) characters per file path.

Yes, but Windows itself can handle 32,767 so it should be able to delete it.  What really causes problems in Windows is when a filename has '*' in it (CDs from those Mac users !).  Then, you can't do ANYTHING with it.

Reply #11
You will be able to delete it from the command/DOS prompt using wildcards. I had the same problem some months ago and that was the only way to remove it.
John
----------------------------------------------------------------
My compiles and utilities are at http://www.rarewares.org/

Reply #12
Thanx a lot, guys. Nothing worked.  No kind of access to the file, except I can play it with the win-media-player. no moving, deleting etc; not even with win-explorer. Rebooting didn´t help either.

@ Jan S., how do I start the dos-mode
@ zZzZzZz, so what can I do?  (w00t)

Reply #13
With the Dos-Prompt I managed to kill it. :alien:
(the path was C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Erste Bank\Eigene Dateien\Eigene Musik\CD\a-MICHI G\Various Artists - Rolling Stone Rare Tracks Vol.21 - Soul\and an endless long song-title+Various Artists - Rolling Stone Rare Tracks Vol.21 - Soul.mp3. Thanx to all again!

Reply #14
I once had the same problem

Try this...
Reboot  into Safe Mode With Command prompt
goto the folder where the file is an type del *a word of the title*.*.
It worked for me.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019