Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What media formats support embedded ALBUM ART? (Read 17470 times) previous topic - next topic

What media formats support embedded ALBUM ART?

Reply #25
I'm looking for a list of audio/video formats which support embedded
album art.  I suppose this is really a matter of which audio/video
formats conform to some tagging format (ie the way MP3 conforms to ID3).

For example, I know MP3 supports embedded album art, because it conforms to ID3v2.3:
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#sec4.15
But what about the other formats?  Help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Ernie

As you say MP3 does it in ID3 tags.

Apple also supports embedded artwork in AAC (in an MP4 container) using MPEG4 tags and Apple's ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) uses the same container and tag formats as AAC. Apple also manage to store embedded artwork in AIFF files as a RIFF chunk. Since thanks to the iPod and iTunes Apple have an overwhelming influence on the digital music market, many other systems support Apple's methods of storing artwork and meta-data.

As far as I am aware NO ONE is able to store any meta-data (including embedded art) in WAV files.

Reply #26
As far as I am aware NO ONE is able to store any meta-data (including embedded art) in WAV files.
[/quote]

For what its worth, I use MusicMatch 10 just to manage WAV files (not play them). It embeds a tag that includes album art; unfortunately, the technique is not widely accepted by other players. The good news is that Slim Devices Slimserver can read the MM tag info, but the latest Slimserver version (6.5) no longer displays album art. Not sure why that changed.

Reply #27
Yes because last time I checked they just tack an id3v2 on the end, they do not even put it in a riff chunk thus breaking the wave standard.

Reply #28
Don't forget the new Flac release also...

MM 10 is the only player to currently support full ID3V2 tags and embedded cover art but as Spoon says has no RIFF

But, more and more players are moving to support WAV files (compliant with spec inc RIFF) with an ID3 tag appended.

Of course, not many players as yet support full WAV ID3, but its coming.

I understand the question relates to embedded art, but of course maximum compatibility can be gained by an embedded image where supported and a jpg at folder level, commonly folder.jpg.

Reply #29
what about multi tracks in FLAC and embedded art, does it need to be in each file?

Reply #30
nvm....

Reply #31
Hi all,

Can any one tell me the standards for storing metadata within audio/video file.

I know about MP3 has ID3 tags containers, is similar available for other formats too, if available just give me name and better spec. links.

Thanks,
Sahil