Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 0.93b1: no multiple values possible for custom tags (Read 3541 times) previous topic - next topic

0.93b1: no multiple values possible for custom tags

I noticed that I can only assign multiple values to some tags (such as artist, genre, composer, ...). I hardly use any standard tags, but custom ones requiring multiple values. Since this worked in previous versions, I guess it's a bug? Still, looking at the grey text saying how to separate multiple values (file properties -> edit tag), the behavior seems intended?

Edit: Just found the advanced options about this. However, it think it would be better if certain fields (like date, maybe...) could be prevented from being multi-valued, instead of every non-mentioned tag automatically being assumed single-valued; otherwise, everyone using custom tags or wanting multiple values for certain standard tags has to edit the advanced options.

Reply #1
I noticed that I can only assign multiple values to some tags (such as artist, genre, composer, ...). I hardly use any standard tags, but custom ones requiring multiple values. Since this worked in previous versions, I guess it's a bug? Still, looking at the grey text saying how to separate multiple values (file properties -> edit tag), the behavior seems intended?

Edit: Just found the advanced options about this. However, it think it would be better if certain fields (like date, maybe...) could be prevented from being multi-valued, instead of every non-mentioned tag automatically being assumed single-valued; otherwise, everyone using custom tags or wanting multiple values for certain standard tags has to edit the advanced options.

Can you post how you resolved this and what you used as a seperator? I can't get my stle tags to present correctly using a backslash. It displays the backslash instead of commas like other fields.

Reply #2
In newer versions, you need to separate multiple values by ";". Any tag that is supposed to support multiple values must be listed in the "Advanded" section of the preferences (Advanced -> Display -> Properties Dialog -> Multivalue Fields). The output will use "," as separator.

Reply #3
In newer versions, you need to separate multiple values by ";". Any tag that is supposed to support multiple values must be listed in the "Advanded" section of the preferences (Advanced -> Display -> Properties Dialog -> Multivalue Fields). The output will use "," as separator.

That's odd because the backslash seperator works in other fields like artist.

Reply #4
Does it work if you delete such a field, save, then re-enter the two values separated by "\" and save again? I noticed that previously saved fields containing "\" still worked until I changed the value; only then would I have to use ";".

Reply #5
I think part of the confusion is that foo_infobox handles this differently than the properties window. With foo_infobox the backslash is an accepted character but in the properties dialog the semicolon should be used. To further confuse things, the properties dialog opens when you select multiple files instead of goo_infobox.

Reply #6
I don't use foo_infobox. The new properties window seems quite perfect to me, both for tagging single files and whole albums. Of course, if foo_infobox handles multiple values differently than the most recent foobar versions, then it should be updated.

Reply #7
Glad to have found this thread...I was having the same problem.  However, I've done what seems to work for you guys and the problem persists.  I've added my custom fields in the advanced/display/multivalue section- I can confirm it's entered correctly because when I edit those fields in the properties dialog, the "use ; to separate values" comment is black, whereas it is gray for fields that aren't multivalued.

However, when my values are separated by semicolons, calling $meta(field) doesn't return multiple values.  Instead, it returns the entire string, semicolons and all, as one value.  I confirmed this by calling $meta(field,1), which returns nothing (as it doesn't think there is a second value).

Can you think of anything else I need to check?  Were there other steps you guys took to get it working?  I'm running 0.9.4.1 using id3v2.4.  Thanks!

---- EDIT

Never mind.  Seems to be working now.  No idea why...I think maybe a restart.  Odd, but I'm not complaining.