Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --vbr-old vs. --vbr-new ? (Read 8501 times) previous topic - next topic

--vbr-old vs. --vbr-new ?

I just noticed that the "fast extreme" preset was using --vbr-new, which got me thinking if --vbr-new are only speed improvements over the old?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #1
no it's a complete different vbr-mode, although faster
recent improvements (look for listening test by guruboolez)
seem to show that it's also better quality wise

Reply #2
no it's a complete different vbr-mode, although faster
recent improvements (look for listening test by guruboolez)
seem to show that it's also better quality wise

What's the difference between --vbr-new and lame4 then?

Reply #3
What's the difference between --vbr-new and lame4 then?

LAME 4 is a complete rewrite that's totally untuned qualitywise (that is, a totally new encoder that would probably push the MP3 codec boundaries further than anyone has probably imagined when it'll be ready), with a new psychoacoustic model and so on. --vbr-new is an alternative VBR mode that affects bit allocation, but (IIRC) not psychoacoustics. And you also have ABR and CBR modes which are not affected by --vbr-new anyway.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #4
Yeah, vbr-new is better now - use it. Don't use Lame 4 though!

Reply #5
I know about the whole rewrite, but I wondered how much this affected the vbr, since I know lame4 only uses vbr-new.

Yeah, vbr-new is better now - use it. Don't use Lame 4 though!

No of course not, it's all out of couriosity  Have played around a bit with it though, and it looks very promising.