Skip to main content
Topic: [0.9] foobars 99 songs cue sheet limitation (Read 3782 times) previous topic - next topic

[0.9] foobars 99 songs cue sheet limitation

hi,

is there any reason why foobar doesn't support cue sheets that contain more than 99 songs?

thanks
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #1
I believe this is a limitation of the CUE format... A CUE sheet is supposed to represent the tracks on a CD, and a CD can only have 99 tracks max.

Reply #2
yes, and a new format is badly needed. the CUEsheet "standard" (which barely exists) is very poor.

There are plans on a new format which is more futuresafe etc. but it's gotten to a halt lately, perhaps it will be picked up in good time.

Reply #3
Here's a good question.  Why do you need more than 99 tracks?  CDs store 80 mins (700 mb)... well std CDs anyway.  So that's less than a minute each track on avg.  Just... why?

Reply #4
Here's a good question.  Why do you need more than 99 tracks?  CDs store 80 mins (700 mb)... well std CDs anyway.  So that's less than a minute each track on avg.  Just... why?

For some test tone CDs.

Reply #5
IMHO, cue sheets should be allowed to die quietly... 

Wouldn't it be nicer to convert to either mp4 or mkv container with chapters?

Reply #6
Good point I guess. Unfortunately there is no good lossless implementation for mp4 at the moment and personally I just refuse to use mkv.

Reply #7
Why is that? Not trying to argue or anything, just interested.

Reply #8

Album doesn't necessary mean CD. Some albums are splitted into 2 or 3 CD. When you rip them and use image-albums, it may be more interesting to merge them into one unique file intead or 2...3.

Reply #9

Any response to that from my side would be entirely inapropriate and off-topic here. So I'll just leave it at that. 

Reply #10
tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that foobar 0.8 supports cue sheets with more than 99 tracks. So the question is why it was changed in foobar 0.9
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #11

I think the current components are still a work in progress.  No sense jumping in until things settle down.

Reply #12
A few things including the cue sheet parser could not be easily adapted to the new SDK, and so Peter decided it would be easier to just rewrite them.

Reply #13
Hi everybody!

I've ran into this issue too and my humble question is that can't you just somehow allow more than 99 songs? CUE files are used for mixes these days and they can be very long (for example the latest XXXL A State Of Trance 250 was 8 hours long with 102 tracks) and I wouldn't like to split the file just because the so called "cue standard" thinks it's inappropriate.

thanks in advance

Reply #14
Hi everybody!

I've ran into this issue too and my humble question is that can't you just somehow allow more than 99 songs? CUE files are used for mixes these days and they can be very long (for example the latest XXXL A State Of Trance 250 was 8 hours long with 102 tracks) and I wouldn't like to split the file just because the so called "cue standard" thinks it's inappropriate.

thanks in advance

The problem is that a CUEsheet with 102 tracks isnt actually a CUEsheet, its something else, and its not standardised. The intent of CUE is to describe the layout of a physical CD, and therefore every valid CUEsheet can be burnt to CD without modification.

Reply #15
I'm well aware of that, but let the CD burner program pop up an alert, I don't care. Even foobar can complain about this non-standard thing, but it won't be a big issue if besides complaining it would also play the songs
I hope you see my point, I know that standards are meant to be followed, but..

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020