Skip to main content
Topic: Showing only the .CUE sheet (Read 5166 times) previous topic - next topic

Showing only the .CUE sheet

Hay guys, i hate topic-spamming, but here i am doing so.. 

Anyways, i want Foobar to only show the .CUE sheet in the playlist when an album has one. For example, i have an album with 12 .flac tracks AND a .cue sheet; now i just want it to show the cue sheet instead of both as to not have duplicated tracks in my playlist. Is this possible?

Thanks for reading... 

PS: what's the cue sheet for anyways? 

Reply #1
[deleted]

Reply #2
[a href="http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clipboard022op.png" target="_blank"].

What i want Foobar to show is just the cue files and ignore the flacs contained in the folder, that's all.

Thanks for your response .

Reply #3
Preferences > General > Exclude file types: *.flac
You can do the same in controlling what appears in the media library. (You'd have to use restrict incoming file types in 0.8.3)

Unless I'm missing something obvious here

Reply #4
donnie, I can't do that, because I have many songs in flac without a cue sheet :S

Isn't there a code or something that tells Foobar that when adding a folder, if it contains .flac, .ape, .mp3, etc PLUS a .cue sheet, to only read the cue? This is exactly what i am looking for...

Reply #5
afaik there isn't, TuncaCeleste. i've been dealing with similar problems (mp3+cue vs. mp3). i made script which would go over playlist and remove these items (audio files referenced somewhere else from a cue file), but that was for v0.8.3 ...

i would like this feature / behaviour to be added to foobar (maybe with a way to enable/disable it in configuration dialog).

Reply #6
My intuition tells me, that this kind of filtering should be done *while* files are added to the playlist:

1. you drag a folder on the playlist
2. foobar processes the files and does the above mentioned filtering
3. files are in the playlist

Should also be more resource-friendly, because only the added files need to be filtered, not the entire playlist (think 10.000 tracks in a playlist!).

Though, i dont know the inner workings of the core, so i may very well be wrong.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #7
donnie, I can't do that, because I have many songs in flac without a cue sheet :S

Are you saying you have some as individual flacs with cue sheets and some without? if it's not a case of image files why not just store the information you need in the flac tags and restrict the cue files. Sorry I'm probably being stupid here and not particularly helpful

Reply #8
My intuition tells me, that this kind of filtering should be done *while* files are added to the playlist
well of course it should (or would be nice to) kick-in when adding files, that's the logical place / time for this.

however there wasn't option to do that, so i simply post-processed the playlist with my tag guessing script (which, among other thigs, removed these referenced files). i haven't been using it much though, and i even can't now with 0.9.x

Reply #9

Are you saying you have some as individual flacs with cue sheets and some without? if it's not a case of image files why not just store the information you need in the flac tags and restrict the cue files. Sorry I'm probably being stupid here and not particularly helpful

I'd suggest the same thing. I suppose those ripped files have corrected gaps so playing them without a cue sheet should result in no wrong track starting points.

Btw, I'm wondering how can you still play those cue+multiple files with 0.9? Support for this kind of playback was dropped with the new version, it's pure luck you can play those rips without errors (or maybe they are all FILE "..." / INDEX 1 00:00:00 cues?).

In case you want to losslessly convert those rips to proper single image+cue rips: Moitah's CUETools

Reply #10
i was quite annoyed by this too TuncaCeleste

here is what i did:

i copied all the tag information in the cuesheet to the files and then i renamed all the .cue files to .cue.bak so foobar won't read them anymore.
i also splitted all the images + .cue to single files and .bak'ed the .cue.
that way i keep all the .cue files in case i need them someday, and got them out of my way
i don't really like cuesheets, they're so limited concerning the tag fields. and i prefer having the metadata with the file and not in an 'external' cuesheet.
anyway, the important thing for me was to have every file just once in my playlist.

Reply #11
i don't really like cuesheets, they're so limited concerning the tag fields. and i prefer having the metadata with the file and not in an 'external' cuesheet.
anyway, the important thing for me was to have every file just once in my playlist.

Additional tags are now written to the image file as tags. Each "virtual" track gets it own set of tags starting with CUE_TRACK[01...nn]_<tag name>... so using image rips (with embedded cue sheets if you like) is no big deal anymore, it only adds a lot of tags to your image file. Only information I know of that is still stored in the cue sheet is the replaygain info (which is kinda annoying in my opinion).

Reply #12
Fifoxtasy, that .bak'ing up the cue sheets was really helpful, darn, how didn't i come up with that?

Regarding the CUETools thing, can it split my big image (big .flac file, for example) with cue sheet embeeded into several single flac files? if not, then how do i do this? (of course i don't want to transcode or anything;))

Thanks for your responses, guys

Reply #13
Use foobar or ACDIR to split an image into tracks.

Or, if you used FLAC's CUESHEET metadata block, you could use FLAC's --cue switch to decode by track/index points.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #14
Regarding the CUETools thing, can it split my big image (big .flac file, for example) with cue sheet embeeded into several single flac files? if not, then how do i do this? (of course i don't want to transcode or anything;))

Yes, it does. In fact it's a sort of "reverse engineered" version of EAC's cue sheet and audio file creator. This means it support all of its four ripping modes and converted rips are 100% identical to a EAC rip.

For example: you rip a CD twice with EAC first as a single image with a standard conform cue sheet and then you rip it again as multiple files with appended gaps to previous track and non-conform cue sheet. When you then use the single image and convert it with CUETools to "Gaps appended" the resulting files will be 100% identical to the multi-file rip you did before, (except for the cue sheets, because the FILE names are probably different but the INDEX fields and overall structure of the cue sheet will be the same, so virtually it's 100% identical). The only drawback of CUETools is that it won't convert the EAC-Logfile...

Just start it and you will see for yourself... drag and drop the cue file into the "Input" field and select "Gaps Appended" in the "Output Style" box, then adjust the "Audio filenames" according to your needs and press "Convert". Make sure the "FILE" paths in the cue sheet are correct and everything should work, CUETools can read WAV and FLAC, and write out WAV only, so you have to reencode the tracks to FLAC again.

But if you don't care about the cue sheet, then you can in fact choose from a lot of other tools for splitting image+cue rips, Synthetic Soul already mentioned some.

Reply #15
i use foobar for splitting lossless files.
for mp3s i use mp3splt

Reply #16
Thanks guys, i figured out how to split lossless files embeeded with a cue sheet in Foobar ^^, it is extremely easy

Thanks again.

Reply #17
My method:
Rename the file from 'file.mp3' to 'file.cue.mp3' then in media library options exclude *.cue.mp3
I'm pretty satisfied with it
Don't forget to modify the cuesheet to point to the right file...

Reply #18
My method:
Rename the file from 'file.mp3' to 'file.cue.mp3' then in media library options exclude *.cue.mp3
I'm pretty satisfied with it
Don't forget to modify the cuesheet to point to the right file...

Brilliant and simple. Thanks.

Reply #19
I'm using CUESHEET tag for lossless and MKA container for mp3. No problems at all
Sharing delusions since 1991.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019