Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trouble with 10,000 days. (Read 14641 times) previous topic - next topic

Trouble with 10,000 days.

Is anyone else having troubles with this, or did I get a bad stamp? My copy is brand new out of the package, but the last two tracks give EAC, CD Paranoia, iTunes, and my compter at work a massive amount of trouble.

Reply #1
This doesn't sound right, if that is your only CD having such behaviour, I would return to the record store and have it replaced.

Reply #2
Welcome in Sony/BMG's wonderful world of copy protection 

I promised myself not to buy such a crippled CD ever.

Reply #3
As far as I'm aware it's not crippled. There are no copy protection logos anywhere on it. They have to warn you about these things, if there's no warning displayed write and get your money back!

I use AnyDVD so copy-protected CDs aren't a problem anyways

Reply #4
There are no copy protection logos anywhere on it. They have to warn you about these things, if there's no warning displayed write and get your money back!

If that CD is produced by Sony/BMG which I have no ideal if it is since I don't own that CD don't forget what Sony/BMG has already done not to long ago, and shown what they were truely capable of by silently installing a rootkit onto computers.

Reply #5
The CD is not protected, as far as I know, but mine is also not flawless. The first thing I did with it was create an image of it with EAC in secure mode, and it had a few clicks in the last track. Then I scanned it with PlexTools und the test came up with some uncorrectable errors (CU, red in PlexTools) in the last track. On the Toolshed.down.net forum somebody also reported skips all over the disc, so the pressing is probably bad.

Btw, AFAIK after the rootkit disaster Sony promised not to copy-protect CDs for two years.

Reply #6
I ripped the CD fine on my Mac. As far as I can tell, it is not copy protected.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #7
I too had problems with this CD.  I have a NEC DVD+-R/RW DL drive in my notebook and a standard CD-ROM drive at work.  Both of them were having problems.  The standard CD-ROM drive at work had problems with the last 1/2 of the tracks.  My notebook only had problems with the next to last track (I believe it was track number 10).  It produced some errors and left EAC reporting a track quality of 99.6%.  I then re-surfaced the CD and ripped that track again, EAC still had some error but reported the track quality at 99.8%.

I listened to the problematic track and have not found any audible clicks.  I have listened through my iPod, through my modified car CD deck, and through my computer system.

I don't think it is copy protected other than the normal circumstances.  It is not like the Velvet Revolver CD, you can use iTunes to rip the new Tool CD.  Maybe Sony just didn't do a good job pressing this CD.  I am tempted to e-mail Sony and see what they have to say.

I purchased my CD from Circuit City and they wouldn't give me a new one for some strange reason.  Luckily, a store clerk purchased a copy of the CD.  I had my notebook with me and I tried ripping his copy.  My notebook had problems with the last 3 tracks on his copy.

It is just a shame to have such a good artist (and good CD, different, but good) have quality issues with a new CD when they haven't released new material since 2001.

Reply #8
Hmmm... Amazon.com shows "Volcano" as Label in "Product Details", same as Ænima & Lateralus (which had no copy protection IIRC).

I'll be receiving my preorder copy soon, I hope there'd be no issues...

Reply #9
I have a Dell Notebook (shudder) with an NEC DVD-/+ RW drive, and it ripped just fine the day I got it. I was using EAC and had only audio caching disabled.

EDIT: Although I DO have problems similar to yours when trying to rip BOTH discs of The Prodigy's "Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005." The last tracks on BOTH CDs cause my drive to go nuts and (eventually) get errors. I exchanged it for another copy and the same thing happened. Anyone else have issues with this album?

Reply #10
If the cd can play, then you can play the tracks that cant be ripped and record it from "stereo mixer" or whatever (on my sound card its called "what u hear"). I know its rather poor solution but it works.

Reply #11
Hmmm... Amazon.com shows "Volcano" as Label in "Product Details", same as Ænima & Lateralus (which had no copy protection IIRC).

Tool are on Volcano Records, which is a subsidiary of Zomba Records. On June 11, 2002 Zomba sold the remainder of the company to BMG for a reported 3 billion dollars ending its reign as the world's largest independent record label.

Reply #12
This kind of stuff happens when they use the glass masters too long

Maybe they wanted to cut some cost in order to make up for the expensive packaging... somehow they must make a profit when the CD is sold for 10$US on Amazon preorders

Reply #13
Is this a problem with the cd being a bad press as some are having trouble and others aren't, or is it some kind of Sony copy protection. I have tried to rip it 4 times and gives errors in different places. I'm going with copy protection as A Perfect Circles Emotive and Thirteenth Step were both copy protected and BMG was there label.

Reply #14
If the cd can play, then you can play the tracks that cant be ripped and record it from "stereo mixer" or whatever (on my sound card its called "what u hear"). I know its rather poor solution but it works.

or better use Winamp's "DiskWriter" plugin. should work

Reply #15
If that CD is produced by Sony/BMG which I have no ideal if it is since I don't own that CD don't forget what Sony/BMG has already done not to long ago, and shown what they were truely capable of by silently installing a rootkit onto computers.

As far as I can tell, it contains no copy protection. Also, it doesn't even have a data track on the disc, only audio, so there is absolutely no way it contains any sort of rootkit or other malware.

Reply #16

As far as I can tell, it contains no copy protection. Also, it doesn't even have a data track on the disc, only audio, so there is absolutely no way it contains any sort of rootkit or other malware.

What may be more likely is that they pressed the CD with corrupt error correct codes to fool most drives when attempting to rip it.

Reply #17
My copy ripped fine. Extraction speeds dropped on the last few tracks but EAC reported no errors.

Reply #18
Mine ripped fine with EAC and a Lite-On drive.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #19
Looks like only some pressings of the CD are bad? Or, they're all bad, but some drives have an easier time reading them?

Reply #20
Easy way to check if it's copy protected is looking if it has the CD Audio logo's on case and CD.  If those are missing then there is good chance it's copy protected.  Two ways around that are usually 1) using a drive like a Lite-On that usually doesn't care about copy protection (my plextor can't rip protected discs) or 2) try disabling C2 error correction in EAC, as it's usually bad to have on anyway.  I suggest just using a different drive though, I don't think C2 errors are part of Sony's copy protection, but I really have no idea.

Reply #21
Yeah, that would be a good idea.
How about brief descriptions of configured settings and what
drive was used by the ones, who succeed in ripping this album
properly ? (That includes, that it does NOT have audible flaws
like clicks on the last track !)

I'd appreciate these information and certainly others would do
as well, as you know that there are many EAC users out there,
who'd like to have this album, if they don't even have it, yet.

Reply #22
I just looked at mine and do not see the CD Audio logo.  In fact, I just randomly looked at about 5 cd's of mine and do not see that logo on any of them.

Correction to my previous post:  My rip was done with EAC and an NEC 1300A DVD/CD ROM drive, not a Lite-On as I previously indicated.  Rip was done in secure mode with accurate stream.  C2 enabled.  The drive does not cache audio data.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #23
Just to add my experience ripping this cd, I have an NEC 3500 A/G. Normally rips cds at around ~10x-12x. The tool cd ripped around 1.5x. I had JUST bought it, ulled it out & started ripping so the cd was DEFINITELY brand new. At a glance the cd does not contain the cd logo BUT it (& especially the case) is very heavy on the artwork. The cd has a "Sonopress" logo in the inside bottom though. Otherwise, great cd & rips well enough to satisfy me.

Forgot to mention, I ripped in secure mode with caching disabled & c2 turned off. No clicks, lucky me from what it seems like in the thread!

-J

Reply #24
No problems here:

Code: [Select]
EAC extraction logfile from 2. May 2006, 18:23 for CD
Tool / 10,000 Days

Used drive  : TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2412   Adapter: 1  ID: 0
Read mode   : Secure with C2, accurate stream, NO disable cache
Combined read/write offset correction : 0
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
                     44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo
                     Use compression offset : 0

Other options      :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

Range status and errors
Selected range
     Filename E:\CD Backup\Tool\10,000 Days\Tool - 10,000 Days.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
     Range quality 100.0 %
     CRC 0871DF79
     Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

As far as I know, the CD is not copy protected. Then again, I always rip with AnyDVD enabled.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High