Skip to main content
Topic: Need help moving iPod to lossless (Read 3454 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help moving iPod to lossless

My dilemna is this:
I have been using 224 AAC and will now go lossless (cuz I'm upgrading my current 40 gig 3G iPod to a RedWine modded 60gig iPod Photo that will take big advantage, with its much improved lineout, of lossless audio). I realize that although I have 40gig of 224AAC and now will have a 60gig drive, the lossless content will compress much less and dwindle down to 120-150 albums. That's ok by me; I only listen to 75-100 of the ones I have loaded today anyway.

So...I have most of my cd collection ripped very cleanly via EAC and stored on an internal drive (backed up on an external drive) in FLAC format, with a cue file (i.e one big FLAC file for each album; the cue file acts as the table of contents, etc.) associated to each FLAC file. Foobar, etc accepts this quite easily and thereby allows me to pick any song, etc. Since FLAC is not available on the standard Apple firmware for iPod, and since the Rockbox FLAC implementation currently doesn't support cue files (I'd have to listen to Abbey Road as one long 47 minute song) what would be the easiest way to convert FLAC to a standard iPod or Rockbox compatible lossless format? I ain't rerippen, that's for sure. I'm open to converting the FLAC file and it's cue file into 12 smaller song-based FLAC files (for example), if that's the simplest. Just don't know how to do that, or any other lossless-lossless conversion using cue files.....thx

Reply #1
The iPod supports Apple Lossless, so if you don't want Rockbox, you must convert to ALAC. However, the iPod won't play those files back gapless, so if that's a big concern you must use Rockbox.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #2
The iPod supports Apple Lossless, so if you don't want Rockbox, you must convert to ALAC. However, the iPod won't play those files back gapless, so if that's a big concern you must use Rockbox.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I understand my lossless options.  What i don't know is the actual way to convert FLAC/cue combinations into another lossless format.  Is there a simple or straight-forward way to take AbbeyRoad.flac and AbbeyRoad.cue and convert it to another lossless format that the iPod (in whatever firmware will work) will see all the songs.  Gapless would be nice but I still then need to figure out how to take FLAC and get it into another Rockbox lossless format.  I don't know HOW to do that.

Thx
Ted

Reply #3
Just use Converter in Foobar to extract tracks from monolithic .flac to .wav's (and compress its in any format by any tool) or to pack each track on-the-fly to per-track .flac's.

Reply #4
Just use Converter in Foobar to extract tracks from monolithic .flac to .wav's (and compress its in any format by any tool) or to pack each track on-the-fly to per-track .flac's.

OK, thanks.  So Foobar's Converter will take a alrge FLAC album file and through the cue info convert it to flac song files?  Is this documented somewhere in foobar?  I just went there quickly, and I see the wav option, (of course I can also simply decode FLAC to wav, then back to some lossless, but the FLAC-to-FLAC would be a single step) but I don;t see a FLAC-to-FLAC one....Thx again.

Reply #5
You may have to add it as an option. Documentation for foobar is sparse and with the move to the 0.9.x versions, the documentation is ambiguous between which versions are referred to.

If you do have the foo_converter plugin, you can go to the settings in the preferences, way down at the bottom. It should let you "add new" to the list of output options, and FLAC should be an option to add. Select whatever compression level you want (that rockbox can support) and save all. Then just select the tracks you want to convert, and right-click and select "convert>convert to...>FLAC" Should work.

Reply #6
OK, did the FLAC (album file)-to-FLAC (collection of song files) convert in Foobar and it worked.  Thanks!  However, the album name doesn't come over, only the artist name and song title and length (when I played the single cut back in either foobar or winamp).  I see where you specify the output file formatting, but nothing about how the cue file's album name or artist info gets tagged and moved over.  I'm not even sure how the song title and artist got captured in the conversion.  Any help or pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.  Sorry for the newbie questions.

Edit:  When I copy the album's cue sheet over to the test directory that has the new individual song files it picks up everything fine, but the point of this whole exercise is to become cue-sheet independent cuz Rockbox/iPod doesn't support cue sheets.  I'm open to go Apple Lossless and stay with the Apple firmware on the iPod but not sure that that encoder (ALAC) is findable to put on Foobar and will be any more succesful at finding the tags in the cue sheet.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020