Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yalac: Suggestions for an Alternative Name (Read 65762 times) previous topic - next topic

Yalac: Suggestions for an Alternative Name

Reply #26
How about XLACS (Extreme Lossless Audio Compression Scheme)?

Reply #28
you can't yet.. i'm fairly sure it'll come soon (within weeks), though

anyway, Aquamarine makes for awkward abbreviations (AAC, anyone? ), but you could always call it something horribly presumptuous, like (for instance) Mozart's Choice?  (seeing how it's his birthyear )
Why not just Mozart then?

And why must we use .3 extension? I mean, come on, even Civilization IV (anyone played that game too?) for its savegames use the extension (I'm not making this up) .Civ4SavedGame

So the extension can be .mozart

Hopefully someone does not mistake this as a new graphic file by the makers of Mozilla...

Reply #29
Since it's supposed to decode fast, maybe TNT? Or Exploder

Reply #30

you can't yet.. i'm fairly sure it'll come soon (within weeks), though

anyway, Aquamarine makes for awkward abbreviations (AAC, anyone? ), but you could always call it something horribly presumptuous, like (for instance) Mozart's Choice?  (seeing how it's his birthyear )
Why not just Mozart then?

And why must we use .3 extension? I mean, come on, even Civilization IV (anyone played that game too?) for its savegames use the extension (I'm not making this up) .Civ4SavedGame

So the extension can be .mozart

Hopefully someone does not mistake this as a new graphic file by the makers of Mozilla...

because 'mozart' as the file extension icw the same name for the codec sux, while 'mozart's choice' is a bit more of a proper statement

Reply #31
a too long extension is not preferable, as we'll have to type it in the dos box etc after all,
yalac -d foobarbaz.ext
would be better for lazy users than
yalac -d foobarbaz.longlongext
right?

btw I once wanted the extension .mc2 for another multimedia-related project.
It was taken from Einstein's formula,
connotating "huge power in a small object" and "(as fast as) light speed."
I thought it was cool. altho it was not accepted.

Reply #32
Accepted by who (or what)?

Reply #34
Naming? What about Calf, Cala, Oidua Seyknom, Gorf Mitpo or COS (short for "Cedoc Oidua Sselssol")?

Reply #36
or you could call it HAc, if the HA site owners wouldn't mind
it seems a name as good as any anyway

Reply #38
Sorry to drive this thread back off topic, but how does YALE (Yet Another Lossless Encoder) sound?

Reply #39
Sorry to drive this thread back off topic, but how does YALE (Yet Another Lossless Encoder) sound?

It's ok to look for a better name!

I usually dont't respond to posts regarding the naming, because i don't have much time now. But sooner or later i will carefully look through them.

Thomas

Reply #40
how about naming it as AFLA 
April Fool's Lossless Audio
i'm ur dream
make u real
i'm ur eyes
when u mus steel
i'm ur pain when u can't feel
sad but true

Reply #43

or RELACS (Really Efficient Lossless Audio Compression Scheme ?

or IHABECS (I Have A Big Ego Compression Scheme) ? 

..and i was so happy this thread wasn't turning offensive in some way or another

Reply #44

..and i was so happy this thread wasn't turning offensive in some way or another

Tell me who that offended.  Naming the codec RELACS while it sounds cool, would sound egotistical.

Reply #45

Tell me who that offended.  Naming the codec RELACS while it sounds cool, would sound egotistical.

I think YALAC is fine.  Is there any point in successive quoting, other than having a massive amount of fun ?

Reply #46
I can't help but think Yalac will stay now.

I still don't like the ALAC connotation, but soon it will seem strange to know it by any other name.

That surely is some ridiculous quoting.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #47

I still don't like the ALAC connotation, but soon it will seem strange to know it by any other name.

That surely is some ridiculous quoting.

What's important, is how it will be pronounced in the first interview the media will have with its author

Reply #48
' date='Apr 19 2006, 08:40 PM' post='384172']
What's important, is how it will be pronounced in the first interview the media will have with its author

Then it ought to be simply YAC
(pronounced as "yuck")

or maybe YAK ("Kompressor") with a yak as a logo?

Reply #49

How about ALAC (Another Lossless Audio Codec)?

Ok then... Wouldn't help the confusion

I thought of dropping the 'L' instead but Yaac would compete with quite a wide range of things, including a Mac audio converter, a game, a password cracker, a protein and an atomic clock.

There is also a bunch of Young Adult Advisory Centres and other beneficial acronyms as well as some phone software and a breakout game written in Delphi, the language of choice of Yalac. Which brings me to the next subject:

Why couldn't you use Delphi to write a DOS program? It looks like WINCRT is there for this purpose:
http://community.borland.com/soapbox/techv...5,10276,00.html

Also it should compile on Linux if someone has Kylix to do it.