Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: %play_count% cannot be invoked from masstagger script in 0.9 (Read 4835 times) previous topic - next topic

%play_count% cannot be invoked from masstagger script in 0.9

I cannot invoke %play_count% from masstagger scripts. I get a ? signal in the field instead of the number of times a track is played.

To reproduce do the following:

1. Open masstagger
2. In actions to perform choose add
3. Choose Format value from other fields
4. Fill destination field name
5. In formatting pattern put %play_count%
6. Run the script in some tracks

When checking the properties of the track you'll see that the ? char is included in the destination field instead of the play count.

Reply #1
Were you trying on files which had no playcount?

Reply #2
both with and without %play_count%. same problem.

Reply #3
Could be because it is not a tag strictly speaking. It's stored in the config file.

Reply #4
What I do not understand is why it can be invoked in a playlist formatting and trackinfo panel with no problem and not in a masstagger script.
I'm not into foobar's inner workings but this does not make sense to me.
I would appreciate a reply from a developer on this issue if he/she perceives this as a bug.

Thank you.

Reply #5
Sorry to bump this, but an answer would be really appreciated. Maybe foosion has some insight? 
Thanks again.

Reply #6
I cannot invoke %play_count% from masstagger scripts. I get a ? signal in the field instead of the number of times a track is played.

To reproduce do the following:

1. Open masstagger
2. In actions to perform choose add
3. Choose Format value from other fields
4. Fill destination field name
5. In formatting pattern put %play_count%
6. Run the script in some tracks

When checking the properties of the track you'll see that the ? char is included in the destination field instead of the play count.

I have the same question.But there's no problem in v0.8

Reply #7
You could go back to using the Play Counter from 0.8x if you want. It is available for 0.9 here.

Edit: Seems like you are. Just trying to combine the new play_count with the old play_counter

Reply #8
thanks for the link.

For 0.8.3 i used quicktag_sql and playcount_sql components because I don't want stats tags written to the files (such as play_count, last_played, added and rating). I believe that this is volatile info that should not be written to the files.

I had hope that the playback stats component made available with 0.9 would bridge this gap, but despite the availability of the %play_count% and %last_played% fields, I cannot use them extensively (they cannot be used in masstagger scripts, for instance). To me this is a significant constraint that should be investigated by the developers.

To summarize, the missing things IMO in the playback stats plugin:
- possibility to invoke %play_count% and %last_played% from anywhere
- support for writing user defined fields to the DB (similar to what foo_quicktag_sql allows you to do in 0.8.3)

Maybe this is because the playback stats plugin is still under development, nevertheless in the meantime we have to find workarounds, such as the playcount plugin you linked.

Edit: lightened up the wording.

Reply #9
Is this still the case for anybody using unofficial play count?

I still get the question mark - what was the solution for doing %play_counter% in masstagger in 0.9?